Big East presidents vote unanimously to expand

ADLER

If we don't get our way this time around things could still be worse as in...

...The economy is so bad that: I received a pre-declined credit card in the mail. CEO's are now playing miniature golf. Exxon-Mobil laid off 25 Congressmen. Angelina Jolie adopted a child from America. Motel Six won't leave the light on anymore. A picture is now only worth 200 words. They renamed Wall Street " Wal-Mart Street". Finally, I called the Suicide Hotline. I got a call center in Pakistan and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck. (from the Bulldog, Bytes & Barks board).

• Upvote 2

Despite the way it appears, realignment is about more than "recent football success." Just look at Syracuse. One winning season since '05 including 1-10 in '05, 2-10 in '07 and 3-9 in '09. Those are the same kind of seasons we have had yet the ACC jumped at the chance to invite Syracuse.

Meanwhile the ACC says "no" to West Virginia who's worst record in the same time frame was 9-4. Things outside of recent football success clear play a significant role.

Hence the use of the word "almost" in the sentence "It's almost all about football success." Syracuse brings so much else to the table. Even still, they had a good year last year capped by a bowl win--they appear finally to be righting the ship. I couldn't prove it, but I doubt if they get the ACC invite if they were still in the midst of 10-loss seasons.

• Upvote 1

Hence the use of the word "almost" in the sentence "It's almost all about football success." Syracuse brings so much else to the table. Even still, they had a good year last year capped by a bowl win--they appear finally to be righting the ship. I couldn't prove it, but I doubt if they get the ACC invite if they were still in the midst of 10-loss seasons.

As someone said somewhere, "perception is reality". Recent football success contributes to the perception of a quality program but there are other factors as well. SMU is perceived as a wealthy school with good academics and a storied past in athletics. That sounds like a school that brings something positive to a conference.

Contrast that with UL-Monroe, MTSU, & Troy.

God bless Texas!

• Upvote 1

SMU is perceived as a wealthy school with good academics and a storied past in athletics. That sounds like a school that brings something positive to a conference.

Perceptions are amazing. SMU had a good run in the 80s caused by...well...

I don't understand where their "storied past" reputation comes from. Doak Walker 100 years ago? I guess it's truly the company you keep.

And as for the Big East conference getting them bigger crowds, they didn't get crowds when they were in the SWC, why would they now? All credit due to June Jones, he has built a hell of a program there. I would not be surprised to see them ranked before the year's over, but Dallas is not going to support them in large numbers, they never have and never will.

Just a fact...

• Upvote 2

I gotta think that if SMU goes to the Big East, UNT would be considered as an auto add to CUSA. They would have to get a school for this market and the CUSA administrative offices are located here in DFW for goodness sakes! RV needs to call Britton Banowsky and buy his lunch!

The stars r aligning !! If SMU moves maybe CUSA makes a move, but I could also c MWC making a move. Double down baby !! :rock: