http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/01/us-usa-debt-deal-fb-idUSTRE7700OL20110801

uhhhh......the republicans lost again. looks like a bunch of promises and deferments for future votes and more compromises in the future.

this is why i vote Independent because i want to vote and i want the two major parties to know that i vote BUT not for them. Why? because the two major parties DO NOT represent me anymore and have not for a long time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

NO...the Republicans did NOT "lose again" as you mention. I don't recall seeing any new taxes in the deal...do you? I believe the Republicans big issue was no new taxes and spending cuts. Yes, there was a compromise on the amount of debt reduction and the fact that the agreement is for longer than six months, but to say the republicans lost is to be a bit naive...even the Wall Street Journal says it is akin to a victory for the Republicans. I won't go that far, but I do see that the R's got the deal without new taxes. How is that a loss????

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NO...the Republicans did NOT "lose again" as you mention. I don't recall seeing any new taxes in the deal...do you? I believe the Republicans big issue was no new taxes and spending cuts. Yes, there was a compromise on the amount of debt reduction and the fact that the agreement is for longer than six months, but to say the republicans lost is to be a bit naive...even the Wall Street Journal says it is akin to a victory for the Republicans. I won't go that far, but I do see that the R's got the deal without new taxes. How is that a loss????

Problem is all the spending cuts are backloaded to future years when another congress will be seated and they can do what they have always done, just vote to ignore the cuts.

This is a loss by both parties, who continue to refuse to address the problem.

Not only that, I doubt this bill gets out of the house. This isn't exactly what the tea party branch of the Republican party had in mind. It's more politics as usual from a bunch of guys and gals who should be unemployeed.

• Upvote 5

I'm with you. I think both parties gave up something they wanted, so no one feels like a winner. I'm just glad they are getting something done so my 401K doesn't tank and I don't have to fast rising interests rates on any of my variable rate debt...

I'm with you. I think both parties gave up something they wanted, so no one feels like a winner. I'm just glad they are getting something done so my 401K doesn't tank and I don't have to fast rising interests rates on any of my variable rate debt...

Missing the point. Your 401 might not tank this month, but the long-term prospects for the 401k with this deal ain't looking real good.

If your late 60s, well good for you.

If your early 40s, sucks to be you.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

I tend to agree with this Republican

I also agree with this famous Republican

I whole-heartedly believe that something must be done about deficits but to hold a fragile economy hostage like the Tea Party did was insane. To not include any revenue increases in a deal, via closing of loopholes or a small increase at the top, is equally insane. I am not happy about my taxes being increased but at the same time I don't let ideology cloud my judgement as to what is best for the country.

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This bill gets nothing done, except put us further in debt. It's a setup. This commission is 6 on 6 R vs. D and thus will turn into a deadlocked mess, and the result of the Deadlock is that the biggest thing the Federal government is supposed to do (Defense spending) is what will suffer while entitlements continue to rock along despite the fact that they can't be sustained into the future.

This is NOT a win for Republicans.

First, other than the few initial cuts, and there are not many, the rest can be (and if history holds, will be) voted down by future congresses.

Second, we have just jumped the debt to 16.5 Trillion, because 14.4 isn't enough, I guess.

Finally, the Republicans have just given Obama until this commission has to have it's report ready an opportunity to continue to demand tax increases and demagogue the issue for another 6 months engaging in disinformation and class warfare.

Other than avoiding the press dumping on them (which is what they do anyways) I'm not sure how any Conservative can feel this is a good deal or a win for our sides.

Spending has not been cut. The tax issue has not been put to bed. We're going to get downgraded anyways. Where's the win?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This bill gets nothing done, except put us further in debt. It's a setup. This commission is 6 on 6 R vs. D and thus will turn into a deadlocked mess, and the result of the Deadlock is that the biggest thing the Federal government is supposed to do (Defense spending) is what will suffer while entitlements continue to rock along despite the fact that they can't be sustained into the future.

This is NOT a win for Republicans.

First, other than the few initial cuts, and there are not many, the rest can be (and if history holds, will be) voted down by future congresses.

Second, we have just jumped the debt to 16.5 Trillion, because 14.4 isn't enough, I guess.

Finally, the Republicans have just given Obama until this commission has to have it's report ready an opportunity to continue to demand tax increases and demagogue the issue for another 6 months engaging in disinformation and class warfare.

Other than avoiding the press dumping on them (which is what they do anyways) I'm not sure how any Conservative can feel this is a good deal or a win for our sides.

Spending has not been cut. The tax issue has not been put to bed. We're going to get downgraded anyways. Where's the win?

Very well said. The republicans are so afraid of bad press, they just set their principles to the side for a deal that accomplishes nothing.

I pray to God the Tea Party branch does not vote this complete give up of a deal out of the house. It would be better at this point to stop down the economy to get this thing fixed than to go another 2 years piling onto the already ridiculous national debt.

I also wish the tea party would demand the balanced budget amendment option be a part of any agreement. What a concept, take it out of the hands of the politicians and put it into the hands of the individual states. Make these idiots do what this state does: pay your bills as you go.

Yes, I know that the tea party faction alone can't stop this bill, but something tells me they will have plenty of help from the far left tax and spend democrats.

And you don't raise taxes in a bad economy, unless you want it to get worse. Freaking econ 101, people.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's really fun to read on one messageboard I read (that leans as far left as this one does right - if not further) that the Democrats caved. I think the fact that both sides are bitching so much means this was a good deal.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's really fun to read on one messageboard I read (that leans as far left as this one does right - if not further) that the Democrats caved. I think the fact that both sides are bitching so much means this was a good deal.

Nope. We will spend more each day on the interest on the national debt than the amount of cuts in spending in the 1st year of this bill.

Complete fail and a shift of responsibility to another congress.

Nope. We will spend more each day on the interest on the national debt than the amount of cuts in spending in the 1st year of this bill.

Complete fail and a shift of responsibility to another congress.

Just like if you went over there, they believe it was an absolute capitulation. Neither side being happy means it was a good compromise.

Just like if you went over there, they believe it was an absolute capitulation. Neither side being happy means it was a good compromise.

Seriously?

Kinda like sayin that if Houston thinks they are going to win by 50, and we think we are going to win by 3, then compromising and giving them a 43 point victory is the right things to do.

It's like a 26 year old with 90K in credit card debt, on your credit card, asking you to extend your credit line so he can continue to hit the strip clubs every night.

The Dems just wanted to hit the strip club while asking you to pay for the 1st 5 table dances

Insane.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Cone on Kram, I am conservative and this deal does nothing but kick the can. Boehner and his Country

Club ilk sold out the conservative base once again. Bush Tax Cuts go away and then all we have is the promise of a politician that $2 trillion will be cut in 10 years, while raising the debt another $8 trillion. This is a loser bill for the entire country and once again Boehner shows his true colors.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

...and the thought that is is a win on Taxes is laughable. This legislation doesn't include a tax hike, but what's slated to happen over the next few months results in one: The Bush tax cuts expire; Obamacare tax hikes begin. That'll be the largest tax hike in history.

We have to balance the budget. We have to stop spending. BOTH PARTIES have been spending like drunken sailors. This has to stop, or our kids don't get a future.

• Upvote 1

Seriously?

Kinda like sayin that if Houston thinks they are going to win by 50, and we think we are going to win by 3, then compromising and giving them a 43 point victory is the right things to do.

It's like a 26 year old with 90K in credit card debt, on your credit card, asking you to extend your credit line so he can continue to hit the strip clubs every night.

The Dems just wanted to hit the strip club while asking you to pay for the 1st 5 table dances

Insane.

No, I am not kidding. Two examples of the general tone.

Will this prove to be 1937 all over again? A faltering economy driven back into recession by ill-advised spending cuts. People never learn.

I think all the evidence indicates that Obama, for whatever reason, actually wants brutal spending cuts and doesn't care nearly as much about entitlements as most Democratic voters and therefore this isn't a terrible deal for him in policy terms despite the fact that it's going to hurt the economy. However, I'm still pretty perplexed (and, like, infuriated) that he didn't take a stronger starting position in negotiations here. The moment he took the Fourteenth Amendment option off the table, capitulation to everything the Republicans wanted was basically the only possible outcome. The nihilism of the Tea Party and the looseness of the Democratic coalition are no excuse.

• Upvote 2

No, I am not kidding. Two examples of the general tone.

No doubt. Wouldn't expect anything else from them. I would hope that you dont just decide to find the most center point between the 2 for your positions.

Kind of a give up, don't ya think?

As I predicted the Republican's caved to the Democrats. One in the same.

Rand Paul has a nice open letter on his web site briefly explaining the situation.

One interesting item is the mentioning of the "Super Congress."

http://paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=280

Congressman Ron Paul explains what the "Super Congress" is:

http://www.infowars.com/ron-paul-sounds-alarm-on-disturbing-super-congress/

Form your own opinion.

War is Peace....Freedom is Slavery.....Ignorance is Strength

(George Orwell from 1984 written in 1949)

Funny Russian expression:

An Optimist learns English because the country may open up.

A Pesimist learns Chinese because he is afraid the Chinese will conquer us.

A Realist learns to use a Kalishnikov.

As I have been saying for some time there is really no differences between the Dems or Republicans. Both parties do seem to demonize the Tea Party....which is a good thing because it is the Tea Party that is upsetting the status quo in Washington.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

As I predicted the Republican's caved to the Democrats. One in the same.

Rand Paul has a nice open letter on his web site briefly explaining the situation.

One interesting item is the mentioning of the "Super Congress."

http://paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=280

Congressman Ron Paul explains what the "Super Congress" is:

http://www.infowars.com/ron-paul-sounds-alarm-on-disturbing-super-congress/

Form your own opinion.

As I have been saying for some time there is really no differences between the Dems or Republicans. Both parties do seem to demonize the Tea Party....which is a good thing because it is the Tea Party that is upsetting the status quo in Washington.

Wow. We are so screwed. I'll be a slave to the government the rest of my life. You're right euless. Almost all of them are scumbags. America has become drunken on entitlements and the idea that the federal government exists to "take care of us."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Everyone should get used to a lower standard of living and 15% unemployment, cause it's coming.

Terrible, terrible, terrible legislation.

Yes, CMJ, fell free to use this as a conservative example of unhappiness with this piece of sh!^ legislation. :angry:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Everyone should get used to a lower standard of living and 15% unemployment, cause it's coming.

Terrible, terrible, terrible legislation.

Yes, CMJ, fell free to use this as a conservative example of unhappiness with this piece of sh!^ legislation. :angry:

Oh, I've quoted this board on my movie board just the same as I've quoted them here. It's great theater.

• Upvote 3

Wow. We are so screwed. I'll be a slave to the government the rest of my life. You're right euless. Almost all of them are scumbags. America has become drunken on entitlements and the idea that the federal government exists to "take care of us."

Perhaps being sarcastic is a way of saying that you are unfamiliar with the topic. Perhaps you can give your opinion on the subject without sarcasm.

• Downvote 2

Keep an eye out for a little red dot dancing around your head if you're ever in the Mid-Cities...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1