Activity at Stadium

I was driving home tonight around 9:30 and noticed that the stadium lights were fully lit. So I pulled into the athletic center parking lot and saw that it was packed I then found a parking spot right in front of the stadium and walked through the open gates to see a field full of football players and the lower section filled with what I assume to be parents. Definitely high school players, I did not notice any Mean Green players. However, I did notice that Mac was there in his shades and I also spotted Chico.

It was nice to see some action on a lit field, albeit I caught the very end of the workout. Anyone have an idea what this was?gallery_1_24_543458.jpg

• Upvote 1

It is VERY obvious that Coach Mac was brought in with a mandate that he will, regardless of W/L record, sell the hell out of this program.

Now, let me take a moment to throw some kudos towards a guy that deserves them. I see a lot of "nit picking" about the selection in the team store, the shape of our end zone, the way seat selection is handled, etc etc etc. Let's sit back and ponder this one fact though...Rick V has put in place a REAL coaching staff in a football stadium that gets compliments from those outside of our ranks daily! The staff that answers to him...and to us...in that AD's office is far and away improved from what it was even five years ago. The game day experience has improved year to year. And I won't even start on how much better the basketball program is from five years ago...though half our fans and the Denton community don't get it. Basically what I'm saying is this...Mac may be selling the hell out of this program, but RV has given a pretty sweet product to sell.

+1 for you, Sir. RV definitely deserves some kudos.

Hope to see you at the Kickoff Cookout today!

GO MEAN GREEN!

During Urban Myer's tenure at Florida he designated a Friday night during the summer for prospective recruits. It was dubbed "Friday Night Lights." Everything happened on the field at the Swamp. Very exciting with most media recruiting services and state papers there. My son attended this evening and I sat in the stands and watched in amazement. The kids were geared up in shirts with images of the national championship trophies, were weighed, timed in the 40 and all the speed measurables. They then went to the wieght room where they had a mini workout with the strength coaches and were measured. They then went into meeting rooms with position coaches for mini meetings. After that they went back on the field under the lights and split into skill groups. It was at that time that Myer said, "Tonight you get to feel what it is really like to be a Gator". At that moment, full crowd noise of a packed Swamp was piped in through the PA system and the players competed in 7 on 7, individuals and other games for about an hour. The night concluded with a full barbeque for the players and their parents. There was a camp charge involved. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen or been to. Coach Mac probably had the same thing last night. It is not widely publicized, mostly notes sent to the high school coaches, key recruits and recruiting services . . . but it is open to any player that wants to come and pay the fee. I believe they put a cap on the number of campers. Myer used that night to seal the deal with key recruits. Coach Mac was out in the middle of it with the d-linemen and their drills/inidividual competitions.

• Upvote 2

During Urban Myer's tenure at Florida he designated a Friday night during the summer for prospective recruits. It was dubbed "Friday Night Lights." Everything happened on the field at the Swamp. Very exciting with most media recruiting services and state papers there. My son attended this evening and I sat in the stands and watched in amazement. The kids were geared up in shirts with images of the national championship trophies, were weighed, timed in the 40 and all the speed measurables. They then went to the wieght room where they had a mini workout with the strength coaches and were measured. They then went into meeting rooms with position coaches for mini meetings. After that they went back on the field under the lights and split into skill groups. It was at that time that Myer said, "Tonight you get to feel what it is really like to be a Gator". At that moment, full crowd noise of a packed Swamp was piped in through the PA system and the players competed in 7 on 7, individuals and other games for about an hour. The night concluded with a full barbeque for the players and their parents. There was a camp charge involved. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen or been to. Coach Mac probably had the same thing last night. It is not widely publicized, mostly notes sent to the high school coaches, key recruits and recruiting services . . . but it is open to any player that wants to come and pay the fee. I believe they put a cap on the number of campers. Myer used that night to seal the deal with key recruits. Coach Mac was out in the middle of it with the d-linemen and their drills/inidividual competitions.

That is some great recruiting information. I am so pumped with all that is going on with UNT Athletics- the stadium, McCarney, Canales still on staff, and all the new coaches. I know we have to win on the field first, but I believe, for the first time in many years, including the "Great Darrell Dickey" years, that we are in prime position to move this program forward and upward. I truly believe that.

• Upvote 2

"I was given the OK last night to come by UNT's new stadium for one big recruiting event. UNT had about 300 high school juniors at the stadium under the lights"

Big Night At The Stadium

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2011/07/big-night-at-the-stadium.html

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1

It is VERY obvious that Coach Mac was brought in with a mandate that he will, regardless of W/L record, sell the hell out of this program.

Now, let me take a moment to throw some kudos towards a guy that deserves them. I see a lot of "nit picking" about the selection in the team store, the shape of our end zone, the way seat selection is handled, etc etc etc. Let's sit back and ponder this one fact though...Rick V has put in place a REAL coaching staff in a football stadium that gets compliments from those outside of our ranks daily! The staff that answers to him...and to us...in that AD's office is far and away improved from what it was even five years ago. The game day experience has improved year to year. And I won't even start on how much better the basketball program is from five years ago...though half our fans and the Denton community don't get it. Basically what I'm saying is this...Mac may be selling the hell out of this program, but RV has given a pretty sweet product to sell.

Great Post. RV has done great things here. Can't wait for the season

So much truth here.