Unt Soccer Verse Rice & U Of H

UNTDude

I was a bit disappointed that LSU canceled their spring game verse UNT last weekend. The tournament replaced the game with a match verse the University of Houston. Every school except LSU played two games.

First, spring matches provide an opportunity for the coaching staff to tinker with formations, evaluate players and get a general feel for the squad heading into next year. Our ladies lost to Rice 1-0 but looked very sharp at times and controlled the match most of the second half. Note: Rice loan goal did not come against our starting defensive back line. In the second match UNT tied University of Houston 1-1 in a pretty evenly played match. Our goal came on a header (Kelsey Hodges) off a corner kick. Haley Newsom played really strong at keeper which was great to see as the Mean Green have big shoes to fill with the graduation of Mandy Hall this year.

The terrible weather only allowed our girls a week of practice outdoors (only 3-4 days), but the girls conditioning looked pretty good. Scoring was at a minimum not only for UNT but for all the other schools as well, i.e #4 OK State 1 LSU 0; OK State 1 Rice 0; TX Tech 2 SFA 1 were a few matches I watched). Our play against Rice (3rd in C-USA) and their result against #4 in the nation OK-State should make for an interesting match this coming Saturday in Stillwater. GMG

• Upvote 5