Muts Vs Fiu

Mo Green

You know there is no way to back this up, but NT just might have been the best team in the Belt at the end of the year. I predicted very poorly that this team would win 8 and without the coaching situation and the unusual string of injuries, I am not sure this team couldn't have been there. Maybe green tinted,but I think NT had the experience and talent this year to have done much better in the down Belt.

One of you stat junkies tell me when the last time we beat a team the year they went to a bowl.

The year was 1999 (the second to last season for the Big West). North Texas under second-year head coach, Darrell Dickey, finished 2-9 on the season. One of those wins was against Texas Tech in Lubbock. The Red Raiders did not go to a bowl game, but the other team that UNT beat did. UNT beat Boise State in Denton 17-10 on October 16, 1999. Boise had only two previous losses to UCLA and Hawaii. Despite the losses, Boise still won the Big West Conference title and finished the year off at 10-3 capped by a Humanitarian Bowl victory over the Louisville Cardinals--an affiliate of Conference USA at the time.

The year was 1999 (the second to last season for the Big West). North Texas under second-year head coach, Darrell Dickey, finished 2-9 on the season. One of those wins was against Texas Tech in Lubbock. The Red Raiders did not go to a bowl game, but the other team that UNT beat did. UNT beat Boise State in Denton 17-10 on October 16, 1999. Boise had only two previous losses to UCLA and Hawaii. Despite the losses, Boise still won the Big West Conference title and finished the year off at 10-3 capped by a Humanitarian Bowl victory over the Louisville Cardinals--an affiliate of Conference USA at the time.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't NT almost make the inHumanitarian Bowl that year? Maybe 2 games from making it?

Or was it 1998?

Edited by Rudy

One of you stat junkies tell me when the last time we beat a team the year they went to a bowl.

1999 Boise State (Humanitarian Bowl). We beat Texas Tech also, but they stayed home at 6-5.

Although it should be noted that wins over MTSU in 2001, NMSU in 2002, and SMU & ULL in 2006 prevented those teams from going to a bowl. Troy went to the Silicon Valley Bowl in 2004, but we did not play them that year due to a Sun Belt scheduling quirk (who knew).

If I'm not mistaken, didn't NT almost make the inHumanitarian Bowl that year? Maybe 2 games from making it?

Or was it 1998?

It was 1996. North Texas finished 3-2 in the Big West standings (good enough for a 2-way tie for third with Idaho). Idaho finished with a better overall record, but UNT won that head-to-head to claim the 3rd place tie-breaker. The Mean Green lost a close 21-13 decision to Utah State in Logan. UNT's other league loss came a week earlier to Nevada-Reno in Denton. USU and and Nevada tied for the league's top position claiming co-champinships in that seasons both possessing 4-1 league records. Nevada knocked off Utah State but lost to Idaho in the regular season.

If UNT could have beaten Utah State, the Mean Green would've had sole possession of second place in the Big West, but a Big West title would've been won with a win over Nevada-Reno as well.

It was 1996. North Texas finished 3-2 in the Big West standings (good enough for a 2-way tie for third with Idaho). Idaho finished with a better overall record, but UNT won that head-to-head to claim the 3rd place tie-breaker. The Mean Green lost a close 21-13 decision to Utah State in Logan. UNT's other league loss came a week earlier to Nevada-Reno in Denton. USU and and Nevada tied for the league's top position claiming co-champinships in that seasons both possessing 4-1 league records. Nevada knocked off Utah State but lost to Idaho in the regular season.

If UNT could have beaten Utah State, the Mean Green would've had sole possession of second place in the Big West, but a Big West title would've been won with a win over Nevada-Reno as well.

It was 1998 or 1999. I remember hearing about it in the dorms.

No, I know what Rudy is referring to. We almost made the Humanitarian Bowl in one of Dickey's first couple of seasons. We were 3-8 and somehow owned the tiebreaker over the first place team if they lost their regular season finale, but they won in the last few minutes. I think it was 1998.