Any One Else Think This Is Ridiculous?

NMBNTC

Agree. Also the cheers themselves. "first and ten, do it again, go, go" (or something like that) is a little high schoolish.

I'll second the "first and ten" cheer. From my spot in the stands, it sounds a bit like "one potato, two potato, three potato four." The fanbase doesn't need to be cheering throughout the entire game. There are a few rules for cheering at football games, and while the cheerleaders have improved on this significantly in the past few years, these are some guidelines that will hopefully help:

1. Don't cheer when a player is down. Pay attention (if you all don't want to watch, at least have a spotter who is) to the game and NEVER cheer when anyone is down on the field. It's okay to have silence at this point. In fact, it's appropriate.

2. Don't do the "first and ten" cheer because the whole crowd does the "Mean Green First Down" cheer with the announcer. We don't need something else after it. As others have said, save the majority of the cheers for when we are on defense or when we've just made a big play.

3. Don't try to get the stands really loud when we're at a critical down on offense. They need to be able to hear the plays getting called in. Again, save it for defense.

During many games, the alumni section is Fouts Field Library, Southwest Annex.

But that did not seem to be the case at the KSU game. Good crowd, lots to cheer about.

One question for NMBNTC:

Is there an unwritten rule to cheer only in front of certain sections? You guys always seem to be in the same place. The Family Section down in H has a lot of kids, and a few loud adults.

Any issue with you guys spending part of the game in front of different sections...you may get some action if you move to a different table.

GMG

The thing is, you have to be careful about who you communicate with on this board. Rick does have his moles. At one point after Darrell DIckey waas fired, one of them followed my posts obsessively and accused me of being linebacker coach Kenny Evans.

They have their moles, we have our moles... it all works out in the end.

2sb9wti.jpg

My one complaint about our cheerleaders is the timing of some of the cheers. Why start a cheer when our team is driving on offense? Its is preferable to be quiet while we are trying to call the play. We should be the loudest when we are on defense.

Thank You! I have never understood why they think it is a good idea to get the fans to make noise when WE are on offense.

• Upvote 1

During many games, the alumni section is Fouts Field Library, Southwest Annex.

But that did not seem to be the case at the KSU game. Good crowd, lots to cheer about.

One question for NMBNTC:

Is there an unwritten rule to cheer only in front of certain sections? You guys always seem to be in the same place. The Family Section down in H has a lot of kids, and a few loud adults.

Any issue with you guys spending part of the game in front of different sections...you may get some action if you move to a different table.

GMG

I'm not sure if it is official protocol but I believe we are put there to be in front of the recruits.

well as far as scholarships go no the cheerleaders do not recieve any help in paying for school. i see them at everything i go to handing out stuff and being friendly to people. i also see them when i go out to certain places to eat that happens to be where they work. i personaly am impressed that they make the time to balance school work and cheerleading; some of them even have multiple jobs. as far as the not saying UNT or EAGLES yes that is true. they were told not to start or go along with any chants or cheers that involve that. i dont recall the cheerleaders this year cheering while someone was down. i did see part of them try to start one but then the others told them to quit when they realized a player was down. nobodys perfect. I have also never heard of the talons doing any cheers or anything about them contacting or talking to cheer in any way to work on any. having people in the stands to help get them started sounds like it would be a good idea. I really like that bowl game cheer personally but again it says EAGLES which rules it out according to the Ath Department. Now down to the comment about what was posted on facebook. i saw the post and it was plainly "The athletic department has been full of bad decisions lately… so lame". however for those of you who dont know the cheerleaders have been without a sponsor or coach, whatever you want to call it, since about the second home game. thats what this comment was in reference to. so if you would like to talk to him please feel free and if you find them let me know please. also if any of you have recamendations for cheers im sure they would be greatful for your help since they get tired of the first and ten stuff too. i also am wondering where all the hostility towards the cheerleaders comes from? did they do something horrific before i started here five years ago?

Edited by eagle89

Boy what a waste of time that turned out to be, huh? Thinking he was calling a donor or season ticket holder, or even at least someone who actually attended an event now and then?

Rick

Obsess much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afViRNSr5wg

Anyway, what transpired in the discussion is what has transpired in reality - Dodge, Ford, and the amateurs were shown the door, and Rick (or Rawlins and Rick, it doesn't really matter) hired a real college coach with decades of experience in rebuilding jobs.

• Upvote 1

Eagle89,

There are many that will chastise any subject that appears on the board. I think it is human nature, not reserved for internet message boards...complain/focus about what you don't like, forget to praise what you do like.

The weird thing about reading this board is those that post to the negative side get most of the attention...I can't help it...my eyes and replies can't overlook, drawn to respond like a moth to light.

If you look closely, you will find those that see the good, if any good is to be seen.

And by the way, while this isn't cheer related, look at the turnout our girls get when one (I think this is usually dance-related) gets nominated for the occasional, and I am paraphrasing here, "hottest of the Sunbelt, then national" contests.

GMG

Yes, its part of the attempt to make athletics a separate brand from the university.

OMG.

well as far as scholarships go no the cheerleaders do not recieve any help in paying for school. i see them at everything i go to handing out stuff and being friendly to people. i also see them when i go out to certain places to eat that happens to be where they work. i personaly am impressed that they make the time to balance school work and cheerleading; some of them even have multiple jobs. as far as the not saying UNT or EAGLES yes that is true. they were told not to start or go along with any chants or cheers that involve that. i dont recall the cheerleaders this year cheering while someone was down. i did see part of them try to start one but then the others told them to quit when they realized a player was down. nobodys perfect. I have also never heard of the talons doing any cheers or anything about them contacting or talking to cheer in any way to work on any. having people in the stands to help get them started sounds like it would be a good idea. I really like that bowl game cheer personally but again it says EAGLES which rules it out according to the Ath Department. Now down to the comment about what was posted on facebook. i saw the post and it was plainly "The athletic department has been full of bad decisions lately… so lame". however for those of you who dont know the cheerleaders have been without a sponsor or coach, whatever you want to call it, since about the second home game. thats what this comment was in reference to. so if you would like to talk to him please feel free and if you find them let me know please. also if any of you have recamendations for cheers im sure they would be greatful for your help since they get tired of the first and ten stuff too. i also am wondering where all the hostility towards the cheerleaders comes from? did they do something horrific before i started here five years ago?

Wut.

They are trying to capitalize the "North Texas" bit rather than "UNT"

Rick discussed this with us on a Podcast a while back

This is all kinds of ridiculous. I am so ashamed.

Well, if we're going to bash cheers/chants, I guess this is my chance to bash the one I hate. It goes like this...

Band plays, dunt, duh, duh, dunt, duh, duh, dunt

"NORTH TEXAS"

"NORTH TEXAS

"NORTH TEXAS"

"NORTH TEXAS biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiites" (I know it says "fight", but it sounds like "bites" and it's yelled in some horrible flat key.)

Edited by kj86

Well, if we're going to bash cheers/chants, I guess this is my chance to bash the one I hate. It goes like this...

"NORTH TEXAS"

"NORTH TEXAS

"NORTH TEXAS"

"NORTH TEXAS biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiites" (I know it says "fight", but it sounds like "bites" and it's yelled in some horrible flat key.)

I'm a little lost now. Are you meaning that you want them to sing the part that says fight? they are cheerleaders not a choir. how would you suggest they make it better?

"NORTH TEXAS"

"NORTH TEXAS

"NORTH TEXAS"

LOL!!!!!!! 86 That's it! That is the chant that the Spirit Committee said the university had collectively come up with to answer concerns over the lack of a unified chant. I explained in detail how other schools bring the house down with their versions of unified chants and how Fireman Ed, all by himself get 80,000 JETS fans on their feet, yet this was their answer to it?

Thank you for reminding me.

Rick

I'm a little lost now. Are you meaning that you want them to sing the part that says fight? they are cheerleaders not a choir. how would you suggest they make it better?

Has nothing to do with singing, or cheerleaders, for that matter. The problem is with the cheer itself. The "fight" is draaaaaaagggggged out too long. It sounds like someone's plummetting to their death. Just a quick, firm "FIGHT" at the end would fix it.

Sometimes you forget that even your heroes have heroes. Kind of puts it all in perspective.

Just one guy, does this.

Everyone knows what to yell, they just need some way to let them know when to say it all at the same time. Fireman Ed simply gets everyone's attention, usually it takes one or two times, but once everyone here's it, the rest take notice. Here is how he does it.

And here is what it sounds like when 80,000 do it in unison.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick