Mike Canales Coached His @ss Off Today

FirefightnRick

McCarney can't afford to hire Chico because of his popularity with our fans. To maximize his control he has to bring in people not known to us to avoid divisiveness. Sad, but that is the way it has to be.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Listening to the post game on the way home with Coach Snyder saying that NT beat us except for the score was, IMHO, not just coach speak for saying it was a good game but in total support of Coach Canales and what he did with fourteen or now fifteen starters not playing because of injuries.

If you read about what Snyder's post game press conference was like it sounded like he was pissed to no end about the game, to the point he answered one question by silently staring down the reporter. I imagine most of that comes from the fact that unlike most of the outside world, he knew he played a team last night that was decimated with injuries. On paper, North Texas had no reason to even be on the same field with K State last night, let alone having a chance at one point, of blowing them out.

Rick

Maybe, just maybe if the folks here now lauding Canales had been behind him from the beginning we would all be welcoming Coach Canales as our next HC. Who knows. But, he did the best job of getting a team ready to play that I have seen in a long time. The guy can coach and he has shown what he can do with a team riddled with injuries and emotionally down after a HC change and loss upon loss.

The die has been cast in another direction for the Mean Green. We should all with Coach Canales well and thank him BIG TIME for doing what he did with this team and program while its HC.

After that, it is time to get behind Coach Mac and make him feel very welcome. Time to stop the bickering over the HC and be united in support of the program and its HC. The Mean green nation simply must do all it can to help Coach Mac be successful.

Thanks Coach C and Welcome Coach mac! GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

Maybe, just maybe if the folks here now lauding Canales had been behind him from the beginning we would all be welcoming Coach Canales as our next HC. Who knows. But, he did the best job of getting a team ready to play that I have seen in a long time. The guy can coach and he has shown what he can do with a team riddled with injuries and emotionally down after a HC change and loss upon loss.

The die has been cast in another direction for the Mean Green. We should all with Coach Canales well and thank him BIG TIME for doing what he did with this team and program while its HC.

After that, it is time to get behind Coach Mac and make him feel very welcome. Time to stop the bickering over the HC and be united in support of the program and its HC. The Mean green nation simply must do all it can to help Coach Mac be successful.

Thanks Coach C and Welcome Coach mac! GO MEAN GREEN!

Yes. But, back then he was committing the cardinal sin of actively promoting the program. :rolleyes:

I don't have to do anything.

If DM gets me excited and shows me tangible results, I will be there.

Look, I live in Las Vegas and Bobby Haute from Montana has come in re-energized a fanbase. It did not show itself in wins this year as they ended with the same record as the Mean Green. But as a casual supporter I never like the previous guy. I reluctantly went to a game or two when I couldn't make it in for Mean Green games, but this year in the same situation I eagerly headed to Sam Boyd on Saturday nights. Same records different inspirations.

The ball is in DM's court to inspire me much like it was in MC's court to build my trust. I thought MC was playing out the hand and he went above and beyond to get me to believe. We will see what DM does and I wish him well. Speak to me as an a alum who has followed this program for 24 years and tell me how you plan to win, why you want to be part of this community, your goals, what you need from me...then I will decide if I support you. I will always support my University but there is one salesperson here and he doesn't live in Las Vegas.

By the way I can only imagine what Bobby H. is going to be able to do with his own players in year 2 and beyond. He is young, passionate, a realist, and ready to ignite a dormant fanbase. Sounds familiar.

Maybe, just maybe if

And maybe just maybe if the folks who were on here who were promoting Canales had actually showed up to support him at the Football and Basketball games as well as the coaches' show he would have been our next head coach?

But for that to have happened that would have required some semblance of commitment to North Texas and a little bit of character at a time when we aren't very good overall. For some on this board, we have to be all world beaters first, then, maybe, just maybe they will show up?

Rick

Agree 100%

Agree with this and want to say RV would have had a hard time hiring Canales because it would've seemed like another experiment. RV would be the next guy out the door if it didn't work. He really had no choice when the team didn't beat Troy, Monroe or KSU. A win over Troy or Monroe would've gotten him the job. It was too late by KSU.

Too bad too! I believe Canales was a good choice, but you can't fight city hall.

Here's the real test; Does UNT want to play a Canales led Sunbelt team?

• Upvote 1

I hate to disappoint you but the Mile Canales chant was prompted by the band director on his PA every time. It was not a sudden outpouring of emotion or support. I find it great that other parts of the Mean Green football experience are in support for Canales, but lets not take the Mike Canales out of context. The rest of the student body was not chanting it in my section or the sections around me.

I like Coach Chico but I have no problem with a clean break. Time to clean the cupboard and start over.

Not sure if I am doing this right or not but I had to get an account when I saw this post. I am the fan that along with a few of my friends started the Mike Canales chant. There was absolutely no prompting by any band director (who I would never listen to about anything in regards to football). The reason for starting the chant was that I am friends with many people inside the program, staff and players, that I have heard speak many positive things about Canales and how the love playing for them and give their all for them every week. I felt this along with the obvious improved play and Canales' passion were reasons to give him the job. The statement that any band director prompted the chant is absolutely ridicolous and I felt I should at least clear that up.

• Upvote 1

And maybe just maybe if the folks who were on here who were promoting Canales had actually showed up to support him at the Football and Basketball games as well as the coaches' show he would have been our next head coach?

But for that to have happened that would have required some semblance of commitment to North Texas and a little bit of character at a time when we aren't very good overall. For some on this board, we have to be all world beaters first, then, maybe, just maybe they will show up?

Rick

Do you always question the commitment of fans when you don't like their opinions? I'm not happy about hiring coach McCarney. I've been to every North Texas home football game for years, and some of the away games too. I stay until the end of every game, while others leave early. I go to many of the basketball games. Watching UNT beat Tech was great. I wear North Texas T-shirts to work every Friday, trying to promote our teams in Fort Worth. I bought my house because it has a view of the new stadium from the back yard. I don't hold every fan to my standard of support. I'm know there are fans who do much more then I do. I appreciate any support we get from every fan. I don't care if they give a $1,000,000 a year or only follow NT on the radio, lets not create more division on the board. We need all the fans we can get.

• Upvote 1

Yes. But, back then he was committing the cardinal sin of actively promoting the program. :rolleyes:

Seriously. What kind of UNT coach goes and promotes football to the fans? You know the fans hate football. This is the toughest job in the NCAA, man. A real coach never comes out from under his rock to do something as selfish as urging people to go to the games!

Do you always question the commitment of fans when you don't like their opinions? I'm not happy about hiring coach McCarney. I've been to every North Texas home football game for years, and some of the away games too. I stay until the end of every game, while others leave early. I go to many of the basketball games. Watching UNT beat Tech was great. I wear North Texas T-shirts to work every Friday, trying to promote our teams in Fort Worth. I bought my house because it has a view of the new stadium from the back yard. I don't hold every fan to my standard of support. I'm know there are fans who do much more then I do. I appreciate any support we get from every fan. I don't care if they give a $1,000,000 a year or only follow NT on the radio, lets not create more division on the board. We need all the fans we can get.

Did I say Side Show Joe? How is it that I answer a "Maybe" rant to Kram with another "Maybe" rant, but directed at another, and it comes out that I'm pointing the finger at Side Show Joe?

Rick

I hate to disappoint you but the Mile Canales chant was prompted by the band director on his PA every time. It was not a sudden outpouring of emotion or support. I find it great that other parts of the Mean Green football experience are in support for Canales, but lets not take the Mike Canales out of context. The rest of the student body was not chanting it in my section or the sections around me.

I like Coach Chico but I have no problem with a clean break. Time to clean the cupboard and start over.

So were the chants on the alumni side started by the band director as well? Look, most of the university wanted anyone but Meh-Carney. Everyone liked the job Canales was doing and was open to him returning. When it became apparent that we were being forced a medicore hire with a losing record, the chants were a last ditch effort to tell the university how we felt. I'm not really sure how you can diminish the chants of fans expressing how they really felt.