Rudy's Movie Review

Rudy

I would like to introduce a new segment to gomeangreen, Rudy's Movie Reviews.

One of the few things I was able to do over spring break, was see Tears of the Sun starring Bruce Willis. Word has it that Bruce tried to enlist in the Army for the then upcoming war with Iraq, which would have been brutal for Saddam. But, since he couldn't kick ass for real, he decided to make a movie about kicking ass.

In the movie, Bruce plays the commander of a group of Navy SEALS who are sent to rescue a doctor who is at a remote hospital/religous villiage in Nigeria. A muslim warlord is taking over the country and should he find the good doctor, shes a goner. In go Bruce and his crack team. The following movie displays some beautiful scenery that makes you want to visit the area. The character development between the SEALS, the doctor, and the innocent civilians who are caught in a battle, trying to free themselves from an emerging dictator are excellent. Tom Skewitt plays the superior officer who wants Bruce to complete his mission. The only problem is that the Americans are suprised by a major twist in the mission, one that could change the face of a nation, and an entire continent. This movie would have been excellent with a subtle ending, but since it is a war movie, you action junkies won't be dissappointed. The climatic final scene will leave you breathless.

This was a fantastic movie, and it looks like the spring is promising to deliever some quality movies.

4.5 out of 5 stars

I liked the movie but thought the storyline wasn't realistic. Willis' mission was to go get a female doctor and bring her to safety. He had her on the helicoptor; mission accomplished right? No, Willis, after feeling sorry for left-behind people, returns her, himself, and his squad to the jungle to try to walk out. He ends up getting several of his men killed for his romantic romp. Willis' military career would have been over had that happened in real life.

2 stars out of 5 stars for bad script. huh.gif

He might've tried to enlist after 9/11. It seems reasonable, there were all sorts of similar shows of patriotism then. Alot of folks above the normal age of military recruits tried to enlist. I remember reading a story about it off the AP I think.

That would have been more for the Afganistan conflict though.