Can Leach,leavitt & Mangino Get Back In The Game ?

NT03

"I would rather defend a coaches' record than try to explain why a coach was involved in some of the instances these guys reportedly were involved in," said the SEC A.D. "I think that's a hard call."

These guys have the same hill to climb as former Colorado coach Gary Barnett, who turned around Northwestern and kept Colorado winning.

No charges were ever filed in relation to Katie Hnida's allegations against Barnett and the Colorado program. She never even filed a civil suit, and refused to name who her alleged rapists were.

Still, with no charges or suits attached to the scandal, Colorado abandoned Gary Barnett and he hasn't been given a second chance.

Yes, they can, but it will take work. They need to do some serious thinking about what and why led them to take the actions they did, and maybe take a step back to a lower level of coaching where the "pressure and stress" might not be so high to see if they can recover their love for the game and excitement about being around young men as they work and play hard. They can do it...if their personalities and egos allow them to do it, but it won't be easy. Many people who care only for the W/L record will clamor for their schools to hire these guys which could circumvent their self-analysis and keep their love for the game from resurfacing in another chase for glory and that big payday at the D-1 level.

These guys can coach, no doubt about that. But, their actions have proven that they need to stop, take a break, think and remember why they got into coaching in the first place.

"I would rather defend a coaches' record than try to explain why a coach was involved in some of the instances these guys reportedly were involved in," said the SEC A.D. "I think that's a hard call."

These guys have the same hill to climb as former Colorado coach Gary Barnett, who turned around Northwestern and kept Colorado winning.

No charges were ever filed in relation to Katie Hnida's allegations against Barnett and the Colorado program. She never even filed a civil suit, and refused to name who her alleged rapists were.

Still, with no charges or suits attached to the scandal, Colorado abandoned Gary Barnett and he hasn't been given a second chance.

Ironic...

Jim Leavitt gave Mike Canales a second chance...twice...after he was fired both times.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am confident that RV will make the correct choice. But, I am crossing my fingers for Leavitt. He has the experience and he will have something to prove. I am all about 2nd chances.

As far as the choking incident goes, it is a crapshoot:

Either:

1) Levitt knows that he choked the player and is lying.

2) The player story (and others) is a lie.

3) There is a shred of truth to both sides, but Leavitt actually believes he is innocent.

Personally, I think it is #3. People often interpret the exact same event differently. How often do you hear people argue over ref calls, even with instant replay ?

As George Castanza said "It's not a lie if you believe it" :)

Edited by akriesman

Ironic...

Jim Leavitt gave Mike Canales a second chance...twice...after he was fired both times.

There's no irony in it at all. The article is about coaches who lost their jobs due to player abuse. Mike Canales has never lost a job due to player abuse. Jim Leavitt, Mark Mangino, and Mike Leach have. Therefore, there is no stigma attached to his name that an athletic director would have to consider when hiring him.

There's no irony in it at all. The article is about coaches who lost their jobs due to player abuse. Mike Canales has never lost a job due to player abuse. Jim Leavitt, Mark Mangino, and Mike Leach have. Therefore, there is no stigma attached to his name that an athletic director would have to consider when hiring him.

You believe there is no stigma when an assistant coach is fired from the program?

Interesting...

You believe there is no stigma when an assistant coach is fired from the program?

Interesting...

Was he fired or not retained by new staff? Dodge went scorched earth when he came in, does that leave a stigma on the previous staff? Canales was not implicated in the issues that led to Leavitt;s demise.

Interesting...

If there were, no fired assistant - or head coach, for that matter - would ever land another coaching job. This is demonstrably not the case. Every school in America has fired head coaches and assistant coaches who have found employment at other college...and, sometimes, even in the NFL.

So, apparently, short of player abuse or some other scandal, there is no stigma attached to a firing.

Of course, the thread is about an article which explains that coaches who have abused players have a hard time getting a second chance. It's not about coaches who may be fired or resign not getting another coaching job. No such article would ever be written because of the rank absurdity of the hypothesis.

As we know from our former coaches Darrell Dickey and Matt Simon, firing without scandal has no long term effect of future employment. In fact, in both of those cases, it didn't even have a short term, effect.

Was he fired or not retained by new staff? Dodge went scorched earth when he came in, does that leave a stigma on the previous staff? Canales was not implicated in the issues that led to Leavitt;s demise.

I'm talking about what happened with him prior to Leavitt hiring him...twice. The second time was after Mike Stoops fired him.

He resigned. But, it makes no difference. He's been hired twice since then.

Let MizzouTiger go down the demonstrably absurd path that fired coaches are never rehired. He's got to find some way to deal with the subject of the article - abusive coaches. His method of dealing with it is to try to change the subject.

He resigned. But, it makes no difference. He's been hired twice since then.

Let MizzouTiger go down the demonstrably absurd path that fired coaches are never rehired. He's got to find some way to deal with the subject of the article - abusive coaches. His method of dealing with it is to try to change the subject.

He resigned???

Whatever...

Darn near every coach is fired at one time or another. Better cross Levitt, Mangino, Leach, Franchione, etc... off your wish list.

Perhaps you missed the word "assistant" before the word coach?

Now, if you had put the word "head" in front of the word coach in the above statement you would have a point, but it would be a very different point than an assistant coach getting fired.

Again, assistants are also fired and find work again. Do you need very recent examples? Or, do you really believe that all fired assistants never find work again?

The article is about coaches who have abusing players on their resume. Jim Leavitt falls into that category; Mike Canales doesn't. That is why Mike Canales is employed today, and Jim Leavitt is not.

I'm not sure Mangino could get through the turnstile.

As a coach Mangino gets into games free... Who cares if he can fit through the turnstile...??

We only care about whether paying customers can fit through the turnstiles... And, of course, potential large (financial, not heft) donors...

As a coach Mangino gets into games free... Who cares if he can fit through the turnstile...??

We only care about whether paying customers can fit through the turnstiles... And, of course, potential large (financial, not heft) donors...

True...but you can agree this is not what those customers and donors want to see once they get into the field right? I mean...look at the photo below as proof positive that any team that hires him will have to keep a horse trough of donuts and sausage on the sideline. If Mangino don't get his mid-game snacks he resorts to this

mangino.jpg

True...but you can agree this is not what those customers and donors want to see once they get into the field right? I mean...look at the photo below as proof positive that any team that hires him will have to keep a horse trough of donuts and sausage on the sideline. If Mangino don't get his mid-game snacks he resorts to this

mangino.jpg

Maybe. But check Kansas' board and you'll see there are a huge amount of fans who would rather see that and a winning team than the svelt, non-booger hunting Turner Gill and a losing team. (Well, except when Gill's opponent is Mr. "This ain't intramurals!")

Maybe. But check Kansas' board and you'll see there are a huge amount of fans who would rather see that and a winning team than the svelt, non-booger hunting Turner Gill and a losing team. (Well, except when Gill's opponent is Mr. "This ain't intramurals!")

I know Turner Gill is getting a lot of heat and rightfully so...but I really like the guy and I really hope things work out for him up in Lawrence.

How about we hire Canales as HC and let him bring Leavitt in as an assistant? That way Leavitt gets a second chance; Canales gets a great assistant that will get promoted at some point if he's changed; and UNT can be the magnanimous benefactor. The more I read it the more I like it. If Leavitt has not or won't change, he won't take the job and our hands will be clean and we will have avoided hiring an ego maniac like Leach and Mangino.