A Valid Question

stebo

One thing that stuck out to me re the Troy game-60 some odd recruits at the game (Coach confirmed this in the press conf) and Canales' mentioned in the press conference the recruits and in his his opinion that DFW should be any North Texas teams focus for recruiting. Now seems like that is a huge complaint about past coaches, I like it.

Somebody needs to post some reasons not to like this guy for the job I can't think of any and something besides- he is the current head coach and not a big name. I see results so far and results is what we want right?

So, you'd rather have an emotionless Fran come in for a year or two and then leave it to his son, a JUCO HC? :blink:

I keep seeing people refer to Fran as emotionless, or not having "fire in his belly", etc... How can anyone even know that?

And yes, I think if Brad were to come here and serve a few years as a DC under Dennis, he would be ready to handle the reins. Not that much different than Gary Patterson?

I keep seeing people refer to Fran as emotionless, or not having "fire in his belly", etc... How can anyone even know that?

And yes, I think if Brad were to come here and serve a few years as a DC under Dennis, he would be ready to handle the reins. Not that much different than Gary Patterson?

I think that there are alot of folks here that have heard from many of the Aggies in their family. Fran was a bad match at A&M because of his perceived lack of fire in his belly. But if you talk to most TCU fans, they will tell you that he was the perfect fit there because he could go into a room full of players and fans and tell them how they were going to start winning, in part because he had that success at UNM and SW Texas State. Even at Alabama, he had two good teams, but the probation he was about to inherit was not going to lower their fans expectations. I think he would be the best hire here, but I don't believe he is on the list, based on some of the goosip that gets posted here at gmg.com. As a matter of fact, I am becoming more convinced that Canales will be the HFC here next year. RV probably sold him on coming here based on the fact that if Dodge didn't win here, he would get fired and he would have his chance. So far, he has been impressive, and for RV and the BOR, Canales represents something very important in this search--he's gonna be cheap compared to the other names listed.

• Upvote 1

I think that there are alot of folks here that have heard from many of the Aggies in their family. Fran was a bad match at A&M because of his perceived lack of fire in his belly. But if you talk to most TCU fans, they will tell you that he was the perfect fit there because he could go into a room full of players and fans and tell them how they were going to start winning, in part because he had that success at UNM and SW Texas State. Even at Alabama, he had two good teams, but the probation he was about to inherit was not going to lower their fans expectations. I think he would be the best hire here, but I don't believe he is on the list, based on some of the goosip that gets posted here at gmg.com. As a matter of fact, I am becoming more convinced that Canales will be the HFC here next year. RV probably sold him on coming here based on the fact that if Dodge didn't win here, he would get fired and he would have his chance. So far, he has been impressive, and for RV and the BOR, Canales represents something very important in this search--he's gonna be cheap compared to the other names listed.

Hmm. This thought did not cross my mind. So you're saying he saw a situation where the coach was for all intents and purposes "lame duck", and saw an opportunity to be a HC when the plug was pulled? I don't think that Chico would sabotage anything (and I'm not saying you are either untjim1995), but I think you may be on to something.

I think you would have to at least recognize that this thought possibly entered coach Canales' mind prior to coming here.

Hmm. This thought did not cross my mind. So you're saying he saw a situation where the coach was for all intents and purposes "lame duck", and saw an opportunity to be a HC when the plug was pulled? I don't think that Chico would sabotage anything (and I'm not saying you are either untjim1995), but I think you may be on to something.

I think you would have to at least recognize that this thought possibly entered coach Canales' mind prior to coming here.

Of course it crossed Canales' and RVs mind.

I think it's highly unlikely and borderline slander to suggest that Canales would sabotage this thing, but if Canales being a head coach wasn't on their mind at the time, then UNT made the wrong decision by hiring Canales for assistant coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think it's highly unlikely and borderline slander to suggest that Canales would sabotage this thing, but if Canales being a head coach wasn't on their mind at the time, then UNT made the wrong decision by hiring Canales for assistant coach.

+1, and if someone doesn't have the top job and isn't looking for the main chance, something is wrong.

Fran's TCU success was just over 10 years ago. A lot of passion and enthusiasm can be lost in 10 years.

Fran's TCU success was just over 10 years ago. A lot of passion and enthusiasm can be lost in 10 years.

I agree with you on this point. I suppose that is what you have to see in Franchione if/when you interview him. I just know that he had a lot more success building up very downtrodden programs in non-AQ leagues than he did at Bama and certanily at A&M. I just like that you could feasibly get a two-for-one deal with his son if things go right. Of course, I think that about Leavitt and Canales, too. But, as it stands right now, I believe that Canales will get the job if we win another game this year and don't get blown out. He will be cheap and he will be able to sell RV and the BOR on having made strides with the team. Is that a good thing? I have my doubts, but I have come to realize that at UNT, it is always going to be about the $$$. Even with additional funds available from the new stadium, it seems that you could get Canales for around $300-325K per year. I would prefer a bigger name to bring in just because we have done the same type of hire that Canales would be, but I do like his energy and how he represents UNT. We could certainly do worse--and usually have done worse over the years.

My #1 and only major concern is having a coach come here looking at our job as a step down. He takes the job because he couldn't get on anywhere else. I can't see someone like that putting their full heart and effort into our program.

Your concern is legit, I think. Still, if Hawaii had a "no step down" policy, June Jones would never have been hired. And if SDSU had the same, Steve Fisher would never have been hired.

Sometimes things just don't work out for a coach somewhere. The key is due diligence in finding out such things. I assume that's why your administration has hired Chuck Neinas.

Todd Dodge hired Mike Canales. I doubt Coach Dodge's top priority was finding a suitable successor.

Todd Dodge hired Mike Canales. I doubt Coach Dodge's top priority was finding a suitable successor.

I get your point. It would seem though, that it would have to have come up in conversation between the two. Even if it wasn't a top priority, I'd be willing to bet it crossed both of their minds.

I still say look at what Kragthorpe did at Tulsa. Tulsa had 2 two win seasons prior to Kragthorpe as HC. He had a winning season his first year as head coach and then won a conference championship. He has the tools to win at a mid major. Kragthorpe will have a sunbelt championship within 3 years. PUT IT IN THE BANK...

I get your point. It would seem though, that it would have to have come up in conversation between the two. Even if it wasn't a top priority, I'd be willing to bet it crossed both of their minds.

I would say unequivocally it did. How could it not. Even if TD succeeded it would be due to Chico thus elevating his profile here and other places

He knew if it didn't work out he would be able to take a chance at HC or if it did he would be set here and contributing to the program