J.leavitt, Head Coach, Mike Canales, Asst. Head Coach/oc And...

PlummMeanGreen

Great effort tonight from Coach Canales and the Mean Green. I was at a wedding rehearsal for one that I DJ tomorrow evening in Hurst. Sunday weddings seem to be a growing trend.

Still, lets keep a perspective on our conference which most of the national poll'sters still don't respect and won't till we start beating some Top 25 schools and winning against a decent school in a bowl game. I don't think Troy is even in the Sagarin Top 80 schools since he ranks all 120 FBS schools.

Watching the UH Coogs and UCF last night on ESPNU it is still overall team speed that separates most of us in the SBC from the other leagues. UNT must start focusing more in our future recruiting on team speed at most every position.

And big linemen with quick feet of which most schools at our present level have to recruit projects to put weight on in the weight room and in the cafeteria but at the HS level when we recruit them they need to at least start with that necessary basic requirement, ie, the quickness of feet factor; maybe even one or two DL's who could chase down a good RB for a few yards out of the backfield before said RB got into 4'th gear.

OK, the thread title? A la Boise State (still a good model for North Texas of which even Norm Hitzges has recently touted on KTCK)...but Boise always has an assistant-in-waiting their last 5 HFC changes the last 12 or so years. Others on this forum are already posting this as a possible role for Coach C as an Assistant Head Football Coach/Offensive Coord. under Jim Leavitt and be primed to take over at whatever time Leavitt would move on.

The key for this to happen at North Texas of which we don't meet the present criteria; that is, to have a year in and year out winning football program for our hiring authorities to want to go to our 2'nd in command, ie, Assistant Head Football Coach to take over. This why Boise's top assistant have gotten their promotions each time the Broncos lost a HFC to a larger program. Ironically, with a little sweet justice included, it is Boise that seems to be the larger program than some of the ones their former HFC's took as so called "promotions." :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

I doubt that the way Coach Canales is working for this job, though he did not get the results he wanted tonight, makes me think he would not accept a position like that. And you know, I don't blame him. Yes, his first win was against the other team worse than us, but he was mainly responsible for our win at Florida Atalantic. Even Dodge admitted that, so I see Coach Canales, when completely in charge of the game plan, as 2-1 right now.

What is the one intangible that Leavitt brings that Canales does not have? Besides a difference in title at USF? Canales was with him in the portables to. Look I am not saying Chico is the guy, I agree we need to be thorough and diligent in this process.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great effort tonight from Coach Canales and the Mean Green. I was at a wedding rehearsal for one that I DJ tomorrow evening in Hurst. Sunday weddings seem to be a growing trend.

Still, lets keep a perspective on our conference which most of the national poll'sters still don't respect and won't till we start beating some Top 25 schools and winning against a decent school in a bowl game. I don't think Troy is even in the Sagarin Top 80 schools since he ranks all 120 FBS schools.

Watching the UH Coogs and UCF last night on ESPNU it is still overall team speed that separates most of us in the SBC from the other leagues. UNT must start focusing more in our future recruiting on team speed at most every position.

And big linemen with quick feet of which most schools at our present level have to recruit projects to put weight on in the weight room and in the cafeteria but at the HS level when we recruit them they need to at least start with that necessary basic requirement, ie, the quickness of feet factor; maybe even one or two DL's who could chase down a good RB for a few yards out of the backfield before said RB got into 4'th gear.

OK, the thread title? A la Boise State (still a good model for North Texas of which even Norm Hitzges has recently touted on KTCK)...but Boise always has an assistant-in-waiting their last 5 HFC changes the last 12 or so years. Others on this forum are already posting this as a possible role for Coach C as an Assistant Head Football Coach/Offensive Coord. under Jim Leavitt and be primed to take over at whatever time Leavitt would move on.

The key for this to happen at North Texas of which we don't meet the present criteria; that is, to have a year in and year out winning football program for our hiring authorities to want to go to our 2'nd in command, ie, Assistant Head Football Coach to take over. This why Boise's top assistant have gotten their promotions each time the Broncos lost a HFC to a larger program. Ironically, with a little sweet justice included, it is Boise that seems to be the larger program than some of the ones their former HFC's took as so called "promotions." :)

Good post that is hard to disagree with!

GMG

• Upvote 1

Someone take the needle off this record. It's skipping.

GMG!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I doubt that the way Coach Canales is working for this job, though he did not get the results he wanted tonight, makes me think he will not take a back seat or even a front seat here. He wants to drive it, and I don't blame him!

Attendance tonight suggested we did not have our man in the stadium to take across the interstate to our next stadium. Sure, some on this board have got the religion with a fine coach, but there are too far many on this board and beyond who would (this time around) never understand UNT hiring any coach from a staff that may win 3 games this Fall in an obvious down cycle for the entire Sun Belt Conference and it wouldn't matter if our coach was one of the 12 Disciples.

The phrase "a losing staff" doesn't seem to be ringing too many bells among those on this board who still insist we keep doing it the same way all over again in Denton.

You want a coach from a losing staff? Then go to the UNT Board of Regents and see what they think of you and a hardy handful's idea with a team that still only has 2 wins. Then you tell the UNT Board of Regents how you and a few think UNT should be the first NCAA FBS school (or maybe any level) in history to ever do such a thing with such a hire. :no:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hate "head coaches-in-waiting." The situation divides coaching staffs, teams, athletic departments, and fan bases. It assumes the future will be the same as the present. It takes away the fun of a head coach search when the former coach is canned.

If Leavitt is our head coach, fine--let him be the head coach, let his coordinators coordinate, and let the other assistant coaches assist and coach.

• Upvote 1

Attendance tonight suggested we did not have our man in the stadium to take across the interstate to our next stadium. Sure, some on this board have got the religion with a fine coach, but there are too far many on this board and beyond who would (this time around) never understand UNT hiring any coach from a staff that may win 3 games this Fall in an obvious down cycle for the entire Sun Belt Conference and it wouldn't matter if our coach was one of the 12 Disciples.

The phrase "a losing staff" doesn't seem to be ringing too many bells among those on this board who still insist we keep doing it the same way all over again in Denton.

You want a coach from a losing staff? Then go to the UNT Board of Regents and see what they think of you and a hardy handful's idea with a team that still only has 2 wins. Then you tell the UNT Board of Regents how you and a few think UNT should be the first NCAA FBS school (or maybe any level) in history to ever do such a thing with such a hire. :no:

I don't think our future coach is coaching here right now. Though I am not shocked that the attendance was low tonight given their record, I was a little surprised it was as low as it was with a new leader coming off a road win.

• Upvote 1

Plumm, the fringe fans don't know who Leavitt is, so the only one that will be able to put butts in the seats as you want is Leach. Sorry, not happening! And after a couple of years of him losing more than winning while recruits "players for his system" the awe will wear off. We win, and consistently, is what matters to me and all fans. Attendance will then take care of itself.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Someone take the needle off this record. It's skipping.

Stick with a night stick; probably more your forte' than you and all the rest of your fellow Red Numbers Force of this board trying to understand the ongoing concept of what has not worked for UNT football with past HFC hires since the day Denton, Texas, America, was graced with your birth and North Texas had its own cool hand version of Bryant Gumble.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Plumm, you have me confused. Are you saying that we can't hire a head coach from a "losing staff" but can retain both coordinators from a "losing staff"? I also believe that Canales would not stay on as OC here if turned down for the job. I think he will move on to his next opportunity. That "head coach in waiting" crap worked so well for Mack Brown and Will Muschamp.

Plumm, you have me confused. Are you saying that we can't hire a head coach from a "losing staff" but can retain both coordinators from a "losing staff"? I also believe that Canales would not stay on as OC here if turned down for the job. I think he will move on to his next opportunity. That "head coach in waiting" crap worked so well for Mack Brown and Will Muschamp.

Fry I believe hired a couple from Rod Rust 1972 "1" win staff one of which was NT ex and football letterman Bill Brashier and I cannot remember the other one. So it has been done, although most assistant coach hires are usually replaced bu an entire staff by the new HFC.

Canales will have no chance for this job because the few on this board pushing him don't know of an army of alums/fans (not on GMG.com) who want to go another direction--the name coach or one with at least NCAA FBS experience with some success. Jim Leavitt fits the latter.

I understand our UNT Board of Regents also want that name coach or experienced FBS HFC direction, too, and that comes from one who I know to be reliable. Too many UNT leaders would collectively catch living hell if they hired anyone from this present coaching staff to be HFC. I think Canales is snake bit because of his connection to a losing staff but under another coach would have new life if he really wants to stay in Denton. Of course, Jim Leavitt would have to be hired and Jim Leavitt would have to want to retain Coach "C", too.

Our culture at North Texas (as Silver Eagle calls it) is weird (at best) and we need a combination of Vince Lombardy, Conan O'Bryant (to maintain humor with crying alums hard to please) and Sigmond Freud for all our Mean Green fans group sessions. Don't forget Tony Robbins for the motivation part, too, and a HFC who can inspire the increase of season ticket sells next Fall, be one helluva' Texas HS recruiter since when UTSA and TSU (SM) go up to NCAA FBS of which there will then be 12 total FBS level schools in the Lone Star State. Can we find such a coach who will give us the edge in all these areas? Probably not all of them, but maybe most of them?

GMG!

PS: Forgot one! He also has to help our Prez', Rick V and all our chief campus fundraisers find a Corporate Sponsor who think we are a true up and coming program enough to do what my signature statement says below:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Unless UNT can place six zeros to the right of a number; Leavitt won't even listen. Why should he or why would he? He's waiting for his legal issues to conclude and he will be in the hunt for a major D1 HC offer. One that has six zeros in it.

I have been shocked at what I have heard most recently what some of these guys who want to be active in the NCAA HFC's fraternity again will work for and $400,000 to $600,000 would do it easily for most of them.

Coach Fran would take that in a NY minute and was ready to do such if one of the western schools (Nevada?) would have hired him.

Best News Yet? Very strong rumor has it that our BOR's have an open mind toward dramatically shelling out the cash to get us up to the next level of a HFC's hire. At last...they know we have to do something different for a change with this next hire.

GMG!

I have been shocked at what I have heard most recently what some of these guys who want to be active in the NCAA HFC's fraternity again will work for and $400,000 to $600,000 would do it easily for most of them.

Coach Fran would take that in a NY minute and was ready to do such if one of the western schools (Nevada?) would have hired him.

Best News Yet? Very strong rumor has it that our BOR's have an open mind toward dramatically shelling out the cash to get us up to the next level of a HFC's hire. At last...they know we have to do something different for a change with this next hire.

GMG!

Plumm, what happens if "big name" flops at NT?

PS: I realized you can change your vote in the coaches poll by deleting your vote and voting again. I changed mine today.

Edited by Cr1028

GMG!

Not disputing your opinion or rumor, however do you really think the BOR would authorize paying a HC 2X or even 3X the average Sun Belt Conference HC salary of (a little over) $200K? It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Even more so if they hire a hack (former HC) that's looking to pad his retirement. What a waste of money it will be to hire a has-been if he doesn't produce a winner.

Plumm, what happens if "big name" flops at NT?

Then we just go back to what we've been doing the last 30 years which all the other Sun Belt schools probably hope? Do we let all the SBC schools pass us by just like Tulsa, Louisville, Memphis, Souther Miss, East Carolina and similar schools some of which said we were their model back in the 70's?

Let's take the big gamble that a "big name" works just one more time in Denton. What do we have to lose and what would be the alternative (than doing the same thing over and over again--I defer to Our Legacy of Losing below)?

Our Legacy of Losing

1981 Bob Tyler 1 2 9 0 .182 0 0 0 .000 0 0-0

1982-90 Corky Nelson 9 48 52 1 .480 24 20 1 .556 1 0-3

1991-93 Dennis Parker 3 11 21 1 .348 7 14 0 .333 0 0-0

1994-97 Matt Simon 4 18 26 1 .411 10 5 1 .688 1 0-1

1998-2006 Darrell Dickey 9 42 64 0 .396 31 20 0 .608 4 1-3

2007-2010 Todd Dodge 3 5 31 0 .139 2 20 0 .091 0 0-0

I hate "head coaches-in-waiting." The situation divides coaching staffs, teams, athletic departments, and fan bases. It assumes the future will be the same as the present. It takes away the fun of a head coach search when the former coach is canned.

If Leavitt is our head coach, fine--let him be the head coach, let his coordinators coordinate, and let the other assistant coaches assist and coach.

Agreed. No one wants to be a Head Coach in Waiting at UNT anyway...what's the lure/attraction of that? HCIW is something top 25 programs use to placate assistant coaches in hopes of retaining their services and keeping them from interviewing elsewhere.

Unless UNT can place six zeros to the right of a number; Leavitt won't even listen. Why should he or why would he? He's waiting for his legal issues to conclude and he will be in the hunt for a major D1 HC offer. One that has six zeros in it.

Dumb and wrong. Leavitt has already expressed interest in the position. He has an idea of what the position pays. More importantly, he knows what the position could potentially pay if he can win here and increase attendance and interest in the program. That's what he did at USF. He started from the bottom, worked his butt off and built the program into what it is today. Skip Holtz is reaping the benefits of Leavitt's hard work.

Ironically, similar dumb comments were posted about Canales accepting a pay cut to coach for UNT when he was being considered as our OC.

Agreed. No one wants to be a Head Coach in Waiting at UNT anyway...what's the lure/attraction of that? HCIW is something top 25 programs use to placate assistant coaches in hopes of retaining their services and keeping them from interviewing elsewhere.

Most assistant coaching staffs when a new HFC comes along will be replaced. If J. Leavitt got our job and hired Canales as Asst. HFC combo Off. Coord. he would most definitely get a nice pay raise and not have to go house shopping in some other collegiate outpost. I hope he gets that choice. None of us non-supporters for Canales to he our new HFC don't think he is not a good coach. I think UNT powers knew what they wanted to do with our next hire before they fired Dodge. They didn't retain consultant Neinas on a nice retainer to come in and suggest we hire someone already in Denton, now did they?

Since we haven't been in the Top 25 (or 20) or come closing to smelling it since the 1970's, we don't fit the criteria you suggest.

Dumb and wrong. Leavitt has already expressed interest in the position. He has an idea of what the position pays. More importantly, he knows what the position could potentially pay if he can win here and increase attendance and interest in the program. That's what he did at USF. He started from the bottom, worked his butt off and built the program into what it is today. Skip Holtz is reaping the benefits of Leavitt's hard work.

Ironically, similar dumb comments were posted about Canales accepting a pay cut to coach for UNT when he was being considered as our OC.

"Dumb and wrong" I don't think so! Pretend for a minute you are Leavitt's agent (yes Leavitt has an agent and a good one). It's much easier to shop him if other schools are showing interest. For his agent to say "we have interest at UNT" only benefits his search and puts pressure on other schools to give him a consideration.

I like Leavitt; he's a great coach. But people are smoking crack if they think he's coming to UNT. Also, just because he built a program from the ground up doesn't mean he wants to do it again (20 years later, 20 years older with $20 million already in his banking account).

Edited by SAM Coach
  • Downvote 6

"Dumb and wrong" I don't think so! Pretend for a minute your are Leavitt's agent. It's much easier to shop him if others schools are showing interest. For his agent to say "we have interest at UNT" only benefits his search and puts pressure on other schools to give him a consideration.

I like Leavitt; he's a great coach. But people are smoking crack if they think he's coming to UNT. Also, just because he built a program from the ground up doesn't mean he wants to do it again (20 years later, 20 years older and 20 million in his banking account).

The indications are that he would definitely be interested. Now will he come here? No one knows. It may very well be that he would love to come here but RV doesn't want him and the perception will be he isn't here because Leavitt was too good for this program. My thing is that if he is interested then RV needs to be strongly courting the guy because he is a proven winner. While in some sense he would be starting from the ground up...I don't think it is anywhere near what he had to endure at USF. We have a football team, went to bowl games not that long ago and we are opening a brand new on campus stadium next year. I think there are a lot more incentives to come here than what he had to go to USF.

Edited by Green Mean