So You're Saying There's A Chance...

UNT 90 Grad

On another thread someone asked if UNT could still technically win the Sun Belt. Someone else responded that WKU would have to win out. Thinking that probably wasn't the only possibility, I thought I'd try to put together a scenario where we pull it off. Feel free to call me out if I have a math error somewhere. I spent some time on this, but not a ton. I tried to do this without throwing in any rediculous upsets, but naturally there would have to be some upsets, mostly by UNT. Here is my scenario:

11/2:

MTSU beats ASU

11/6:

FIU beats ULM

WKU beats FAU

UNT beats Troy

11/13:

WKU beats ASU

FIU beats Troy

ULL beats FAU

UNT beats MTSU

11/20:

ULL beats FIU

MTSU beats WKU

UNT beats ULM

11/27:

FIU beats ASU

MTSU beats FAU

ULM beats ULL

Troy beats WKU

12/4:

FIU beats MTSU

Troy beats FAU

I know...a lot of long shots, right? If this scenario were to play out, there would be a three way tie between Troy, MTSU, and UNT, but UNT would have beaten Troy and MTSU in head-to-head competition. The thing that makes this scenario kind of interesting is that UNT would have to beat KSU to be bowl eligible.

there would be a three way tie between Troy, MTSU, and UNT, but UNT would have beaten Troy and MTSU in head-to-head competition.

But wait. This is the Sunbelt conference. Perhaps UNT would have beaten MTSU and Troy in head-to-head competition, but Troy and MTSU would have beaten each other while a butterfly flapped its wings in China and Howard Schnellenberger served omelets, thus handing the Sunbelt title and its bowl bid to none other than New Mexico St. See: Logic of the basketball standings.

• Upvote 3

On another thread someone asked if UNT could still technically win the Sun Belt. Someone else responded that WKU would have to win out. Thinking that probably wasn't the only possibility, I thought I'd try to put together a scenario where we pull it off. Feel free to call me out if I have a math error somewhere. I spent some time on this, but not a ton. I tried to do this without throwing in any rediculous upsets, but naturally there would have to be some upsets, mostly by UNT. Here is my scenario:

11/2:

MTSU beats ASU

11/6:

FIU beats ULM

WKU beats FAU

UNT beats Troy

11/13:

WKU beats ASU

FIU beats Troy

ULL beats FAU

UNT beats MTSU

11/20:

ULL beats FIU

MTSU beats WKU

UNT beats ULM

11/27:

FIU beats ASU

MTSU beats FAU

ULM beats ULL

Troy beats WKU

12/4:

FIU beats MTSU

Troy beats FAU

I know...a lot of long shots, right? If this scenario were to play out, there would be a three way tie between Troy, MTSU, and UNT, but UNT would have beaten Troy and MTSU in head-to-head competition. The thing that makes this scenario kind of interesting is that UNT would have to beat KSU to be bowl eligible.

miracle.gif