Canales Article

G123unt

Agreed.... Lets not only look at wins and losses here, even though we should win this one. Lets look at the little things. Does the offense look different? Does the Defense not let the opponent score on their first drive like every other game. Do we see the same stupid penalties. Do we see the kids give up like the majority of their fans?

Let's go get a win guys!!

GMG!!

Beat WKU!!!

Welcome to the board, Bull. ;)

Agreed.... Lets not only look at wins and losses here, even though we should win this one. Lets look at the little things. Does the offense look different? Does the Defense not let the opponent score on their first drive like every other game. Do we see the same stupid penalties. Do we see the kids give up like the majority of their fans?

Let's go get a win guys!!

GMG!!

Beat WKU!!!

One game does not a season make, but I think you got your answer on these questions.

good to see you look so highly upon your alma mater. It's that way of thinking that has kept us down more than any other single thing in our history. Good job!

bull. all bald eagle did was to state the obivious,and you play the old guilt trip card.after our last failure,any name coach with baggage is a risk we should avoid, as we cannot afford another mistake.what has kept us down is lack of vision and leadership, which we now have, and lack of money, which we don't have.the alumni from north texas either don't have the disposable income to give, or have it and choose not to. untill that changes, we will always be north texas state college.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

bull. all bald eagle did was to state the obivious,and you play the old guilt trip card.after our last failure,any name coach with baggage is a risk we should avoid, as we cannot afford another mistake.what has kept us down is lack of vision and leadership, which we now have, and lack of money, which we don't have.the alumni from north texas either don't have the disposable income to give, or have it and choose not to. untill that changes, we will always be north texas state college.

How much do I make? How much do the 3 or 4 alum that work with me make? How much do we give?

How much do I make? How much do the 3 or 4 alum that work with me make? How much do we give?

all any of us can give is only what we can afford to or want to. unt wants to be a player in texas, but realistically we will never have the financial resourses of any big twelve school, tcu,smu, or houston. but we should have an athletic program that is funded at the same level as utep, and we don't.untill we raise out collective level of giving, our eyes will always be larger than our pocketbook. two ways do this.1]keep squeezing the same boosters until they cry uncle, or 2]increase the number of giving units. hopefully our new stadium with a new coach will generate new boosters and new money. just an opinion.

• Downvote 2

Green Machine, whatever you give and the other 3 or give, THANK YOU! But the point is we are underfunded, no secret, and you don't need a UNT degree to see it. But I would say the number of graduates in the DFW area (94K to 95K I think) in proportion to those graduates who are members of the MGC Club is disgraceful, plain and simple. And there are lots of reasons for it that have built up over many years before you or I started supporting the program. I don't know how long you have been around the program, but believe me, it is light years ahead of what it was just 12 years ago.

all any of us can give is only what we can afford to or want to. unt wants to be a player in texas, but realistically we will never have the financial resourses of any big twelve school, tcu,smu, or houston. but we should have an athletic program that is funded at the same level as utep, and we don't.untill we raise out collective level of giving, our eyes will always be larger than our pocketbook. two ways do this.1]keep squeezing the same boosters until they cry uncle, or 2]increase the number of giving units. hopefully our new stadium with a new coach will generate new boosters and new money. just an opinion.

Never, is a long time. Actually, if you want to look at untapped sources than NT has to be near the top. The big 12 schools by virtue of being in the Big 12 have larger resources but there are huge variances between the top and the bottom. The privates have some very big donors but not near as many alums. The facts are that NT got into the fund raising business late and frankly has never had the continued success or the focus to build up relationships that lead to big donations. With the new student fees, better facilities and hopefully more wins; there are substantial reasons for NT to grow donations. NT does have a lot of alums with big money, the trick is going to be to sell a a lot more of them on the athletic program.

• Upvote 1

Never, is a long time. Actually, if you want to look at untapped sources than NT has to be near the top. The big 12 schools by virtue of being in the Big 12 have larger resources but there are huge variances between the top and the bottom. The privates have some very big donors but not near as many alums. The facts are that NT got into the fund raising business late and frankly has never had the continued success or the focus to build up relationships that lead to big donations. With the new student fees, better facilities and hopefully more wins; there are substantial reasons for NT to grow donations. NT does have a lot of alums with big money, the trick is going to be to sell a a lot more of them on the athletic program.

Nice post Grand. +1

The name recognition on this hire is so critical for the reasons you point out so well.

Nice post Grand. +1

The name recognition on this hire is so critical for the reasons you point out so well.

how about "never in my lifetime", as i am 67. also, dodge had name recogniation, which appears to me to be over rated. the only "name" coaches that i have seen, other than bower, were fired from their last job.

• Upvote 1

All the hoopla about needing a big name coach may be nullified if Canales beats Troy and performs well through the rest of the season. Besides bringing in a big name coach does not guarantee Wins..

At the unset of the season, I thought we had all it took to win …I believe we still do. With some of the nicked up players returning, healthier and contributing in some form, I think we will win. In speaking with some players, the biggest positive change they have indicated is discipline/ accountability and speed of practice. My understanding is that the players welcome and believe in the changes.

This interim coach may be the real deal. If the team shows progress and wins...he's got my vote.

Edited by slugg

Well since you gave me a smart ass response, I'll reciprocate.

Since you apparently haven't figured it out, hiring a big name head coach who has been successful elsewhere gives people hope that a moribund program will become a winning one. Hiring a no name like Canales . . . well, I'll leave it to you to try to come up with the answer.

This place is like any other college football message board. Every time Dodge won one game this team "turned the corner" and was heading toward the SBC championship. Why would the knee jerk reactions change with a Canales win over WKU??? Just wait a few weeks, because when he loses a few games, we'll string him up next to Devil Dickey & Teflon Todd. :lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1