Untdaily Article

G123unt

I gotta say, I am not against canales as the new HC. I would love too see us roll off three wins in the next five. That would make the decision very tough! If not mike canales then leavitt and keep canales here. I think this man is the goods and young and energetic. Exactly waht we have been clamoring for here for the past several years!

I don't know if we can win three more.... Or even one more. Bit let's not count out our savior from last offseason. He could be the perfect candidate!

• Upvote 1

I gotta say, I am not against canales as the new HC. I would love too see us roll off three wins in the next five. That would make the decision very tough! If not mike canales then leavitt and keep canales here. I think this man is the goods and young and energetic. Exactly waht we have been clamoring for here for the past several years!

I don't know if we can win three more.... Or even one more. Bit let's not count out our savior from last offseason. He could be the perfect candidate!

I would hope my family and friends would say nice things about me if interviewed.

Nice to know the you set the bar at 1 game over .500.

We can do better. (Unless he wins out, then, nevermind).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

Do you see that beautiful stadium being built right there? Canales said, pointing to the skeleton of the new football stadium. Id sure like to be a part of that, because this place is going nowhere but up. This is a gold mine thats ready to take off.

Throughout his coaching career, Canales has built a reputation as a man who was able to recruit among top schools, snatching talent away from the likes of Florida State, Miami and Florida.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

That was probably the most researched sports article I've ever seen by a Daily sports writer. Many quotes from several people in different locations.

"Mike Canales sat down with Riley Dodge, who will return as the teams starter this weekend against Western Kentucky."

First time I've seen Riley mentioned as the for-sure starter against WKU.

Not sure about HC, but I would love for Canales to stay at UNT as OC under Leavitt again.

• Upvote 1

Look for the intangibles in the coming weeks. Are the players with him? Can he manage a game on both sides of the ball while still delegating the defense to DeLoach? Does the discipline increase and the penalty frequency decrease? Do the players understand their assignments the first time thus negating the deer in the headlights stare to the sideline? When difficult decisions have to be made in a short time period, how does he handle it? Does he mix up the playbook utilizing pass and run to maximum efficiency given available resources?

I see significant improvement in these areas, and I'm on board. Current line is WKU -6. He meets the above criteria, and they overcome that deficit.

• Upvote 1

And so North Texas is going to further pay consultant Chuck Neinas to hire someone already on our coaching staff? Think that one out, folks, and then truly expect Neinas to go outside Denton and Denton County to find our next HFC he will recommend to our Prez' and AD.

Calling earth! Calling earth! Calling earth! North Texas alums once again doing what we (and I do mean "we") don't do well at all............ie, recommending the hiring of head football coaches that will mesh with an FBS college football program and make a difference much different that what we've had of late with our hires--like the last 3 plus decades of such hires? This is no time for another project or gamble hire.

HINT: Any other year Canales really might fit the bill and fit our usual "project" HFC's hire, but that huge stadium needs a name coach to fan the flames for a very successful and "knock out" marketing program which includes selling out the rest of the luxury suites, record season ticket sales and record day of game walk up sales.

I honestly hope our new name HFC will retain Canales as offensive coordinator and who knows, recruiting coordinator, too, since that seems to also be his nitch, but for the life of me, he just does not meet the other very, very important criteria much needed for this particular hire at this most unique time in our school's football history. After all, it will probably be another 60 plus years before UNT opens another new football stadium.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look, Canales seems like a really great coach, however right now for UNT the best choice is a coach with some proven head coaching experience. Period.I would love to see that new coach keep Canales in his current role even though that is highley unlikely. Either way I hope it works out for him. I hope he can get some wins to close the season out. It would be nice to see.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look, Canales seems like a really great coach, however right now for UNT the best choice is a coach with some proven head coaching experience. Period.I would love to see that new coach keep Canales in his current role even though that is highley unlikely. Either way I hope it works out for him. I hope he can get some wins to close the season out. It would be nice to see.

Wins=good

• Upvote 1

Guest MeanGreenHomer

Yes, those are very well written also. It's been a while since I've read The Daily on-line. The sports reporting has greatly improved from a few years ago. :clapping:

Thank you. Love Ben Baby, he has been my protege the last year, he took over my job since I moved up to the top. He is a great kid with a lot of talent.

• Upvote 2

after reading that article I am even more impressed with Canales. He sounds like he could be "the man". I hope we give him a close look regardless if we look elsewhere or have hired a headhunter. I have liked his style from the start, I was impressed with the off during the clemson game and think he is probably well respected by the players....plus, you may be able to put together a package to keep him at UNT for the long haul, if he proves out....its your call RV!, just do your homework.

If I were a car salesman I would want customers who always buy the first car they look at. :rolleyes:

:no: (amazing)

GMG!

Honestly, this program needs to win next year. Next year is the start of a new era at UNT. RV, Rawlins, and the BOR want to make sure that we make positive statement on the field. What use is building this new stadium if fans come out and see the same old losing teams??

For that reason, I think our search is going to be limited to guys that can come in here and tweak a few things without completely blowing it up. Canales is one of those guys...and probably the leader in the clubhouse if he can talk DeLoach into staying or lure a big shot DC here if he leaves. I think alot of it will depend on who he can assemble as a staff. If I were hiring the HC, I'd want to see some names of guys that each candidate can possibly get to come with him.

Honestly, this program needs to win next year. Next year is the start of a new era at UNT. RV, Rawlins, and the BOR want to make sure that we make positive statement on the field. What use is building this new stadium if fans come out and see the same old losing teams??

For that reason, I think our search is going to be limited to guys that can come in here and tweak a few things without completely blowing it up. Canales is one of those guys...and probably the leader in the clubhouse if he can talk DeLoach into staying or lure a big shot DC here if he leaves. I think alot of it will depend on who he can assemble as a staff. If I were hiring the HC, I'd want to see some names of guys that each candidate can possibly get to come with him.

I do think Canales has excelled in getting a hardy handful on GMG.com to promote himself for our HFC job on this board. Yet.........if he is so naive' enough to think North Texas is going to hire anyone from a 1 win team, then how can we truly be confident about his own cognitive and reasoning abilities of what makes sense and what does not make sense in the world of H.R. and who you hire with said situation at hand? Does he (like some in Washington DC) not think we are smart enough to see through some of this? His hire would negate any impact that new stadium could ever have next Fall. Is that not easy to see? (I think some of you are truly playing Court Jestor and are jesting with this entire Canales for HFC talk, right)? If so, we have all laughed, but it is time to move on to more serious candidates that we hired Neinas to check out.

And you say win.........immediately? We have not won immediately for how long now? :rolleyes:

Yet..........win immediately? Again...last time we had a name coach who came to Denton and took over a team that had won 1 game the year before, he turned that group of scrubs into a conference co-champion. Many back then said it was the excitement of having a "name coach" with D1 experience that energized a group of Mean Green football players who showed they had nothing the year before. Do you think you get this with someone from a losing staff? (Dr. Phil, we may need you very soon). :(

Move on, folks, (again) UNT is not extending Chuck Neinas' services and throwing away money to hire anyone from Denton who is coaching on a team which will most likely only win 1 game. Doesnt take a Phi Beta Kappa to figure some of this stuff out.

Fact is, who Neinas could recommend to our Prez' and A.D. may have yet to even be mentioned at all on www.GoMeanGreen.com

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It has been brought to my attention that my first post may be viewed as a shot at Coach Canales's family. Not even close. I was merely pointing out that I would expect any decent human being's family to say that they were a good person, and I don't think being a good person translates 100% of the time into being a good football coach.

Fair or unfair, a Canales hire will be veiwed as a give up hire (much like Bower) by those outside of the program. It won't help recruiting, which right now is in terrible shape for this next class. Fair or unfair, Canales is linked to Dodge in the eyes of those outside this program. Canales should have to do some pretty amazing things in these last 6 game to be a finalist for the job.

Fact is, who Neinas could recommend to our Prez' and A.D. may have yet to even be mentioned at all on www.GoMeanGreen.com

Nail and head.

One of the advantages of using a search service like Neinas or Parker is that many candidates are leery of applying directly to an athletics department because there tends to be loose lips within them and they don't want their current employer to find out they might be looking around. As examples, I heard of at least half a dozen applicants for the SDSU job the very day after Chuck Long was fired since they applied directly to SDSU and I know a couple folks with contacts there. Although Neinas wasn't involved in that particular process, in contrast, although Neinas recommended Jimbo Fisher, not only did I not hear Fisher's name before the recommendation came to the athletics department, apparently nobody else did because it didn't come up once before then on our board nor from any of my sources.

Oh, and neither did Brady Hoke's name arise until late in the process. That was because Hoke applied to Parker in Florida and he apparently told them he first wanted to interview at LSU. Can't blame him for that and if you guys can play your cards right, you may also manage to lure somebody who interviews for a more desirable gig but doesn't get it. The probability is they won't stay around too long but as one of your posters was astute enough to realize, if they leave, it will be because they have turned your program around.

It has been brought to my attention that my first post may be viewed as a shot at Coach Canales's family. Not even close. I was merely pointing out that I would expect any decent human being's family to say that they were a good person, and I don't think being a good person translates 100% of the time into being a good football coach.

Fair or unfair, a Canales hire will be veiwed as a give up hire (much like Bower) by those outside of the program. It won't help recruiting, which right now is in terrible shape for this next class. Fair or unfair, Canales is linked to Dodge in the eyes of those outside this program. Canales should have to do some pretty amazing things in these last 6 game to be a finalist for the job.

I thought we only had 5 games left. If we play 6 more football games this year, then Canales will have done some pretty amazing things.

Edited by eulessismore