Leavitt's Work

Coach Andy Mac

Here's my one big concern with hiring Leavitt....the fact that it may take another at least 3-4 years in order for us to see significant results. Call me impatient, but I really think a higher profile coach like Leach will immediately boost the quality of recruits and expedite the process. Frankly, I think it would be in RV's best interest to win now.

Here's my one big concern with hiring Leavitt....the fact that it may take another at least 3-4 years in order for us to see significant results. Call me impatient, but I really think a higher profile coach like Leach will immediately boost the quality of recruits and expedite the process. Frankly, I think it would be in RV's best interest to win now.

Leavitt is a high profile coach that is available. Leach is out of our range. Unless we can generate about 3 million a year on the coaching staff he won't even consider us. Any decent coach that comes here should be able to produce in year 1. It doesn't mean we win the conference or even go to a bowl game but we should be win more than 2 or 3 games with a very decent coach and planner.

• Upvote 3

You seriously think it will take 3-4 years for us to see significant results with Leavitt? Aside from all of the reasons why it won't, I would assume that you think Dodge should have had another year since year 4 was injury riddled.

Leavitt is a high profile coach that is available. Leach is out of our range. Unless we can generate about 3 million a year on the coaching staff he won't even consider us. Any decent coach that comes here should be able to produce in year 1. It doesn't mean we win the conference or even go to a bowl game but we should be win more than 2 or 3 games with a very decent coach and planner.

I know Leach is out of our range, but crazier things have happened. I would be ok with Leavitt, but I wouldn't be overly excited. Just my opinion.

You seriously think it will take 3-4 years for us to see significant results with Leavitt? Aside from all of the reasons why it won't, I would assume that you think Dodge should have had another year since year 4 was injury riddled.

Yes I do. Look we have great things happening around North Texas, but our football team is not exactly mediocre. We have a long ways to go in order to be good....plain and simple. Just curious, what are the reason it won't take long? It took him years to build USF, not 1-2.

Yes I do. Look we have great things happening around North Texas, but our football team is not exactly mediocre. We have a long ways to go in order to be good....plain and simple. Just curious, what are the reason it won't take long? It took him years to build USF, not 1-2.

Jim Leavitt had a winning season in his SECOND season. Wait, in USF's SECOND season. I don't care what level he was playing, he had a winning season in the program's second year.

It took him YEARS to get to the number 2 ranking in ALL of college football. After the first team meeting was held under a TREE. Dude did not have a 100 acre former golf course with state of the art facilities on it. He had a couple of single wides and a TREE.

There may be some issues around the guy, but he has shown at least once that he can build a winner in a hurry.

Has had two losing seasons in thirteen. If he can catch the magic again, it won't take long.

• Upvote 3

It took him years to build USF

Umm, no.

Leavitt at USF season records:

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl

South Florida Bulls (Division I-AA Independent) (1997–2000)

1997 South Florida 5–6

1998 South Florida 8–3

1999 South Florida 7–4

2000 South Florida 7–4

South Florida Bulls (Division I-A Independent) (2001–2002)

2001 South Florida 8–3

2002 South Florida 9–2

South Florida Bulls (Conference USA) (2003–2004)

2003 South Florida 7–4 5–3 T–3rd

2004 South Florida 4–7 3–5 T–6th

South Florida Bulls (Big East Conference) (2005–2009)

2005 South Florida 6–6 4–3 T–3rd L Meineke Car Care

2006 South Florida 9–4 4–3 T–4th W Papajohns.com

2007 South Florida 9–4 4–3 T–3rd L Sun

2008 South Florida 8–5 2–5 6th W St. Petersburg

2009 South Florida 8–5 3–4 T–4th W International

South Florida: 94–57 25–26

• Upvote 4

We may need to check the police blogs across the USA and NCAA to see if we can add anyone else to our "prime" list. (just kiddin', of course) :rolleyes:

Yet upon further review, are we talking too early about this with a limited number of "name" coaches this moment of which none may really fit what North Texas needs to hire? Only one that we know of has exrpessed interest in our job but we cannot go around saying "golly gee, somebody loves us" and hire the first one who comes a-courtin', right? :unsure:

Deep Fry'd! Hayden did not become available for UNT to talk to until about mid-November of 1972 which was the month SMU fired him and I know.........

..........lightning will probably never strike twice and allow us to ever get another Fry type of hire the way all that came down, but can we wait until mid-November to see who else may be available from a fired staff that may even have a former name coach on it as that staff's Off. or Def. Coordinator? Some BCS HFC's have been fired with above career .500 W/L records but said alumnus base just wanted a new direction and one who gives that school a chance for a BCS bowl, too.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Aside from his record which has been mentioned and the facilities, His OC is already here. If he keeps Canales, his offense is already in place. If he chooses to keep DeLoach, or at least give a year to see if he wants to keep him, he has his defense already in place. We know he can recruit Florida against the big boys. I don't think he will have trouble with Texas.

Aside from his record which has been mentioned and the facilities, His OC is already here. If he keeps Canales, his offense is already in place. If he chooses to keep DeLoach, or at least give a year to see if he wants to keep him, he has his defense already in place. We know he can recruit Florida against the big boys. I don't think he will have trouble with Texas.

I don't disagree with you on this at all. That is definitely the upside, but at the end of the day the players are the ones who have to execute the plans...and to be honest I don't know that we have the players who can execute.

Edited by cdizzle86

Because we play in the SunBelt.

Newsflash: We are not relevant in the Sun Belt and haven't been for 4 years.

No kidding ?

We've had the talent to compete w/ everyone in the Belt the last 4 years outside of Troy. Which is why it will not take years for a turn around. Any decent coach can come and here and start to win 5/6 games a year because we are in the by far the worst conference in all of football

• Upvote 2

No kidding ?

We've had the talent to compete w/ everyone in the Belt the last 4 years outside of Troy. Which is why it will not take years for a turn around. Any decent coach can come and here and start to win 5/6 games a year because we are in the by far the worst conference in all of football

Agree to disagree.

I don't disagree with you on this at all. That is definitely the upside, but at the end of the day the players are the ones who have to execute the plans...and to be honest I don't know that we have the players who can execute.

It's almost as if you are making a cupboard is bare argument. How many games in the last 2 seasons have we lost through stupid penalties, special teams, or capitalizing on key drives? We have the players to play in the Sunbelt but we haven't had the coaching. Leavitt has produced with far more obstacles than both Dickey and TD have had combined. Look we aren't an all star team by no means but we do have the players to compete and win 4-6 games NEXT year.

• Upvote 1

We may need to check the police blogs across the USA and NCAA to see if we can add anyone else to our "prime" list. (just kiddin', of course) :rolleyes:

Yet upon further review, are we talking too early about this with a limited number of "name" coaches this moment of which none may really fit what North Texas needs to hire? Only one that we know of has exrpessed interest in our job but we cannot go around saying "golly gee, somebody loves us" and hire the first one who comes a-courtin', right? :unsure:

Deep Fry'd! Hayden did not become available for UNT to talk to until about mid-November of 1972 which was the month SMU fired him and I know.........

..........lightning will probably never strike twice and allow us to ever get another Fry type of hire the way all that came down, but can we wait until mid-November to see who else may be available from a fired staff that may even have a former name coach on it as that staff's Off. or Def. Coordinator? Some BCS HFC's have been fired with above career .500 W/L records but said alumnus base just wanted a new direction and one who gives that school a chance for a BCS bowl, too.

GMG!

Hey Plumm - glad to see you being so active on the board again these last few weeks. I've seen you post statements similar to the one I highlighted above a couple of times now. I think you're on board with hiring a "name" coach and I know you want someone to get us back to the glory days of the 70s. But, I'm curious, aside from Hayden Fry, who would you recommend as the next head coach of UNT football? Specific names and qualifications please.

No kidding ?

Buddy if you think our talent is on par with the belt you are way off. We are well behind Troy, MTSU and of course FIU looked like Oklahoma last week. I think ULM may have better talent too. It inexcusable but it is also reality.