Look At Coach Canales Photo

greenjoe

I know, I know, if the coach would win it wouldn't matter what color he wore. But I'm plenty tired of the entire Athletic Department wearing black with a little green. And I'm sure the next time I see Head Coach Canales, he'll be in black, head to toe.

But at least for the photo at the top of this page, I'm glad he's in Mean Green

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Joe...agree. One thought comes to mind. While an assistant, I have not seen Coach Canales "out and about" very much at all in the local community. Do you think that might change during his stint as interim HC? I hope so, as people may get to know him a bit better...think he will continue the Monday radio show?

I know, I know, if the coach would win it wouldn't matter what color he wore. But I'm plenty tired of the entire Athletic Department wearing black with a little green. And I'm sure the next time I see Head Coach Canales, he'll be in black, head to toe.

But at least for the photo at the top of this page, I'm glad he's in Mean Green

GO MEAN GREEN

I just wish the coaches polos were open to the public to buy, which after hearing RV talk a couple weeks ago they will be in the Spirit Shop in the new stadium.

As of now though it's almost impossible to find a kelly green UNT polo. The only place I know of that sells them is something..com. It's so pathetic that the UNT Bookstore and Voertman's don't carry green polos. Can you imagine walking into the A&M bookstore and not being able to find maroon polos? No way! Only at North Texas...

• Upvote 1

Frankly, for me it's an "I don't care what you call me as long as you call me for dinner" sort of thing with the shirt color. At this point, I really don't care what color the shirt a fan is wearing as long as it says UNT, North Texas, Mean Green., etc., etc. Now, coaches and athletic dept personnel should definitely be wearing Mean Green gear each and every time they are out in the public representing UNT or "on the clock". If in a suit or more formal attire, a UNT pin will do for me for that occasion.

UNT needs more and more people wearing gear that sports the UNT name, logo, etc....even if it is pink! I know that will upset some folks here, but first things first. let's get people supporting UNT and then worry about the color of the shirt, hat, etc. they are wearing. My guess is that if you have a black, pink, blue UNT logo'ed item, you might just also have a GREEN one that you also wear.

This, of course does not apply to coaches and staff as I mentioned earlier in the post. My hope is that someday we will see 100% of students and alums and fans on game day wearing Mean Green GREEN, but until that day arrives, I'll settle for any color that sports a UNT or Mean Green reference. To me that is much better than seeing our students and fans walking around in a UT, OU, etc., etc. logo'ed item.

baby steps.....

GO MEAN GREEN!

Mark, you're one of my favorite people in the world, but I completely disagree with you here.

At which time that North Texas is mentioned in the same breath as Texas, A & M, Oklahoma, or Ohio State, we must not allow people to wonder who we are. This is why I insist on GREEN and ONLY GREEN. Words across the chest are not enough. I hear that people wearing any color of gear is OK, but until we have the same kind of name ID as the schools mentioned above, color matters.

Case in point.

I went to New York for the NT-Army game. I'd never been to NYC before and I took my "MEAN GREEN" flag to the TODAY SHOW. Sure enough, the producer came over and talked to me. She asked if "Mean Green" was for Michigan State. We've got a lot of work to do.

And how does it look on TV or across the field when many of our fans are wearing various colors ? We need to be a sea of green and only green. While is too universal to identify us as North Texas. Same with black. And letters above your pocket won't do.

"Glory to the Green." That's all.

Mark, you're one of my favorite people in the world, but I completely disagree with you here.

At which time that North Texas is mentioned in the same breath as Texas, A & M, Oklahoma, or Ohio State, we must not allow people to wonder who we are. This is why I insist on GREEN and ONLY GREEN. Words across the chest are not enough. I hear that people wearing any color of gear is OK, but until we have the same kind of name ID as the schools mentioned above, color matters.

Case in point.

I went to New York for the NT-Army game. I'd never been to NYC before and I took my "MEAN GREEN" flag to the TODAY SHOW. Sure enough, the producer came over and talked to me. She asked if "Mean Green" was for Michigan State. We've got a lot of work to do.

And how does it look on TV or across the field when many of our fans are wearing various colors ? We need to be a sea of green and only green. While is too universal to identify us as North Texas. Same with black. And letters above your pocket won't do.

Joe...I'm with you...just baby steps that's all. If more people had been wearing UNT logo'ed items through the years the producer would not have had to ask that question because the vast majority probably would have been wearing green. Well, one shade of green or the other that is....I appreciate the fact that you DID take the flag to NYC with you. That's a proud Mean green Nation member for sure. We need more members of that proud nation like you.

Edited by KRAM1

Joe...agree. One thought comes to mind. While an assistant, I have not seen Coach Canales "out and about" very much at all in the local community. Do you think that might change during his stint as interim HC? I hope so, as people may get to know him a bit better...think he will continue the Monday radio show?

My brother and I went to the Army game...and had a long conversation with Coach Canales before the game. What a great guy...really enjoyed meeting and chatting with him. He started telling us a story, then was interrupted by an Army official. We walked off but he called us back over to "finish the story" as he put it. I get a good vibe from him...

• Upvote 1

Case in point.

Exactly why we need to avoid the trendy black uniforms. Not only are they overused, but we are the MEAN GREEN. We have to let others that Marshall and MSU aren't the only green schools.

• Upvote 1

I just wish the coaches polos were open to the public to buy, which after hearing RV talk a couple weeks ago they will be in the Spirit Shop in the new stadium.

As of now though it's almost impossible to find a kelly green UNT polo. The only place I know of that sells them is something..com. It's so pathetic that the UNT Bookstore and Voertman's don't carry green polos. Can you imagine walking into the A&M bookstore and not being able to find maroon polos? No way! Only at North Texas...

This may be the place you're talking about, I don't know. I love their stuff and they have always given me great service. Also it's owned by one of our own:

http://www.shopmeangreen.com/

• Upvote 1

I have heather green UNT shirts, a pink one and several white ones (in addition to all kinds of green ones). I actually have more UNT shirts and gear than I have for my alma mater of Baylor (who's going to a Bowl game this year *doing the dance of love*). So, I think showing the Mean Green love can come in all colors. If I have my choice, I'll wear my green shirts, but my heather grey NCAA tourney UNT shirt is pretty awesome. Plus, I got my pink one (with green logo) for the breast cancer awareness stuff.

*shrug*

I think if this is the only thing we have to grump about, then we're doing pretty good.

And, let me quantify all of this by saying, I don't like the black either.

• Upvote 1

All I'm saying is when one is a football field width away at a NT-SMU game, or a NT-Texas A & M game, or a NT-Nebraska game, and the person across the field is wearing a white, or black, or even pink shirt, who do we think they're rooting for ?

Can't tell can you. And that's the point.

So wear GREEN and remove all doubt as to who you're rooting for.

Glory to the Green