Do We Need A Full Regime Change?

stebo

I'd be fine with Leavitt as head coach, Canales as OC, and Mangino as OL coach or co-offensive coordinator.

That would be a dream come true for us but realistically speaking Mangino probably wouldn't take an assistant position here. The guy can get a HC or high profile coordinator position anywhere else. The guy turned Kansas into a perennial top 25 or close to one at least. The only thing I can see is we break the bank and bring in Leavitt and he is reunited with Canales. If we offer a very good and fair salary to Leavitt then our main asset may be Canales in him persuading Leavitt in taking the job.

Would somebody tell me what corner we are turning on? We have lost, what 23 players to injuries, and we don't know how it will affect the ones who have eligibility left when they return next year. We graduate many key players, and many say Dodge has not recruited well, and I agree in areas such as defense he has not. This was suppose to be the year, and then we were looking at somewhat of a rebuilding year next season. There are many other factors like penalties, the win-loss record, etc. The players have responsibility for the win/loss record as well. Attitude will change some of it, but not all. Obviously, Dodge and this staff did nothing to correct the penalties (nobody got livid on the sideline when 2 personals were called in one series in the ULL game), but they also were not suited up when they were called. I thought at one point, it might be good to have Canales due to having some continuity. I think we need somebody with head coaching experience at this level, and perhaps somebody who has success at a mid major like we are. There is a reason why Canales has yet to be a head coach, just as many are seeing why Turner Gil's first gig was Buffalo. Just because a coordinator is all fired up, and looks good on Youtube does not qualify him to be a head coach.

As for the strength and conditioning, it does need to be thoroughly evaluated. Even an untrained eye can see that during the walkover before a game. Some bulk, but not enough. And in a few cases, the bulk is in the wrong place. We need somebody who can train them in the weight room and the dining room.

Edited by Green Dozer

I think how much of the existing staff remains is up to the new coach. I'm on board with whatever he feels is best.

I absolutely agree with you. I'm just saying that the current staff does not consist of Curly, Larry and Moe. There are some serious people on this staff that a new HC would seriously consider retaining. And not just to maintain continuity...because they are good.