Mean Green Defense: 2003 Versus 2010

The 2010 North Texas defense has done something no other Mean Green defense has done since 2003 - it has held four consecutive opponents to less than 30 points.

In 2003, no regular season opponent scored more than 37 against North Texas. Not even #1 Oklahoma in Norman, who played for the national title after that season could put 40 on that defense.

Sat, Aug 30 at (1) Oklahoma L 3-37

Sat, Sep 6 Baylor W 52-14

Sat, Sep 13 at Air Force L 21-34

Sat, Sep 20 at (14) Arkansas L 7-31

Sat, Sep 27 Louisiana-Lafayette W 44-23

Sat, Oct 11 at Idaho W 24-14

Sat, Oct 18 Utah State W 37-27

Sat, Oct 25 at Middle Tennessee W 33-28

Thu, Oct 30 Troy W 21-0

Sat, Nov 8 at Louisiana-Monroe W 28-26

Sat, Nov 15 Arkansas State W 58-14

Tue, Nov 25 at New Mexico State W 13-10

This 2010 season is shaping up to be a similar season for the defense:

Sat, Sep 4 at Clemson L 10-35

Sat, Sep 11 Rice L 31-32

Sat, Sep 18 at Army L 0-24

Sat, Sep 25 at Florida Atlantic W 21-17

Sat, Oct 2 Louisiana-Lafayette L 27-28

Sat, Oct 9 Arkansas State L 19-24

For what it's worth, both the 2004 and 2006 defenses had two three game streak apiece where opposing defenses were held to fewer than 30 points. The 2005 defense held four teams to under 30.

The sad thing about 2007 will always be that nine starters were returning from what was, really, a good defense in 2006.

In 2007, the Mean Green defense only held two teams under 30 points, and they won both games - ULM and WKU.

In 2008, the Mean Green defense held no teams below 30 points. Those juniors and senior from 2006 and 2007 were gone.

In 2009, the Mean Green defense only held two teams under 30 points, one win against Ball State, and the loss to Army.

We are doing great things on defense again. Our special teams is coming around. The injuries on offense are hard to overcome. But, our defense is keeping us competitive.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Another interesting comparison:

After 6 games in 2003, the NT defense had given up 153 points

After 6 games in 2010, the NT defense has given up 160 points

Many look at the 2002 and 2003 defenses as the pinnacle of NT defenses all-time. And, after six games, this defense in 2010 is only giving up 1 point per game more than the 2003 crew had at the same point in the schedule.

None of this does us any good without the offense producing more. But, I think you can easily see what could have been had we not had so many injuries on the offensive side of the ball. And, consider this: supposedly, Steven Ford is a better corner than D'Leon McCord. As well as McCord has done, how much better would the defense be with a healthy Ford?

FIU has played some BCS-level teams tough, but they struggled with WKU. Don't go to sleep on UNT just yet, fellow Mean Green. This defense is doing all it can to keep us in games.

FIU has a young offensive line. Only Brad Serini started every game last year. One other guy started six. Another started four. The rest, three and zero. They've got a new quarterback his year who has thrown more interceptions (6), than touchdowns (4).

T.Y. Hilton is obviously FIU's main threat. But, this new QB has not been able to get him the ball the way Paul McCall did last year. If we shut down the run, I like our chances with making FIU beat us through the air.

We've got a shot at this thing. The defense gives us hope.

after six games, this defense in 2010 is only giving up 1 point per game more than the 2003 crew had at the same point in the schedule.

I'm not sure you can compare a schedule against the likes of Oklahoma, Baylor, Air Force, Arkansas, ULL and Idaho(who's offense was near the top statistically), to Clemson, Rice(who is 1-5), Army, FAU, ULL and ASU?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

Another interesting comparison:

After 6 games in 2003, the NT defense had given up 153 points

After 6 games in 2010, the NT defense has given up 160 points

Many look at the 2002 and 2003 defenses as the pinnacle of NT defenses all-time. And, after six games, this defense in 2010 is only giving up 1 point per game more than the 2003 crew had at the same point in the schedule.

None of this does us any good without the offense producing more. But, I think you can easily see what could have been had we not had so many injuries on the offensive side of the ball. And, consider this: supposedly, Steven Ford is a better corner than D'Leon McCord. As well as McCord has done, how much better would the defense be with a healthy Ford?

FIU has played some BCS-level teams tough, but they struggled with WKU. Don't go to sleep on UNT just yet, fellow Mean Green. This defense is doing all it can to keep us in games.

FIU has a young offensive line. Only Brad Serini started every game last year. One other guy started six. Another started four. The rest, three and zero. They've got a new quarterback his year who has thrown more interceptions (6), than touchdowns (4).

T.Y. Hilton is obviously FIU's main threat. But, this new QB has not been able to get him the ball the way Paul McCall did last year. If we shut down the run, I like our chances with making FIU beat us through the air.

We've got a shot at this thing. The defense gives us hope.

Help me KC Obi, you're our only hope.

helpmeobi.jpg

• Upvote 3

I'm not sure you can compare a schedule against the likes of Oklahoma, Baylor, Air Force, Arkansas, ULL and Idaho(who's offense was near the top statistically), to Clemson, Rice(who is 1-5), Army, FAU, ULL and ASU?

Rick

Good point Rick.

Another thing to consider is the contrast in style, ball-control, and (if any) propensity-to-give-the-ball-back-to-the-other-team the offenses present.

I know against Clemson, we did a wonderful job of controlling the ball on offense. But I have not since paid a ton of attention.

Rick

Good point, but still this is something positive and God knows we need that. I still wish we played up and not to the level of our competition all the time. I like that our D has some fire again, but hate that we cant be the same team each week. Injuries and everything else can be taken in to this, but you saw the drop off from Clemson to Rice and it has just continued each week with each different opponent(except for Army, just awful). We will continue to play close games and not win until this team decides that they are the better team and not play to stay close.

Rick

No argument there, but wouldn't you agree that the 2010 defense, at least, passes the "eye ball" test? Regardless of competition. A few of Craig Robertson's tackles (or rather, decleatings) of a few ASU ball carriers brought me to my feet to cheer something our defense did for the first time in years.

No argument there, but wouldn't you agree that the 2010 defense, at least, passes the "eye ball" test? Regardless of competition. A few of Craig Robertson's tackles (or rather, decleatings) of a few ASU ball carriers brought me to my feet to cheer something our defense did for the first time in years.

Yes. In fact the best hit I've seen so far was by McCoy when he put ULL's RB out of the game. Great hit. I'm looking forward to watching The Real McCoy in the future.

Yes. In fact the best hit I've seen so far was by McCoy when he put ULL's RB out of the game. Great hit. I'm looking forward to watching The Real McCoy in the future.

I just hope he cleans his room, finishes everything on his plate, mows the lawn... Whatever it is he didn't do last week.

I just hope he cleans his room, finishes everything on his plate, mows the lawn... Whatever it is he didn't do last week.

First thing I thought when I saw he was walking on was that a two time Iraqi war veteran is going to be a giant disciplinary risk...