Do The Players Live On Or Off Campus?

FirefightnRick

Maybe he was just visiting someone but I was thinking with Stradford's injury being at an apartment complex(so I heard saturday), just wondering if we have players still living off campus?

This was one of the concerns coach Stallings listed back in '01 as a problem we needed to address because of the need to know where and what the players are up to plus being able to better control their diet and such? I remember him saying.."Folks, you have players leaving practice to go home off campus and stopping by taco bell on the way for supper. You can't have that and expect your football team to do well". There has been several issues with this in the past, and I had thought once Victory Hall opened up this concern would be put to rest.

Does anyone know the policy on whether or not the football players stay on campus or off?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I really don't know for sure, but I think NT still has a lot of players living off campus. It is one thing for Stallings to point out the issue but another to stop it. The facts are that most had rather live off campus and most likely do, to prohibit this could be detrimental to recruiting. I know I was amazed at how much SMU was providing Hopkins (the brother of the one who played basketball at NT) for off campus housing.

Tyler moved after he spent his required time at Victory. I am thinking the JC transfers are also required to spend a year at Victory.

Some of you would be amazed at what goes on with these players at their apartments and the trouble that arises, then some of you already know. I just hate it when Dodge tries to cover up the truth by simply saying a player is leaving the program for XYZ. If he would tell the truth outright, then everyone would know the exact reason and not try to guess as to what really happened.

If they all lived at Victory, yes there would be more discipline about them, but if you want them to be men, then treat them so. If they hang themselves with the rope they are given then that is their problem.

Tyler moved after he spent his required time at Victory. I am thinking the JC transfers are also required to spend a year at Victory.

Some of you would be amazed at what goes on with these players at their apartments and the trouble that arises, then some of you already know. I just hate it when Dodge tries to cover up the truth by simply saying a player is leaving the program for XYZ. If he would tell the truth outright, then everyone would know the exact reason and not try to guess as to what really happened.

If they all lived at Victory, yes there would be more discipline about them, but if you want them to be men, then treat them so. If they hang themselves with the rope they are given then that is their problem.

The reason why coaches/administrators are vague, as to why certain players leave.....is out of fear of lawsuits. In this litigious day and age, a school can easily be sued for violating a player's privacy....by releasing information, that while true, may be detrimental to the player. A famous example of this was when UT was sued by a b-ball player (Axtell)....and I think all they did was say something about his grades. (Someone may remember the details of that better than I do.)

• Upvote 1

Considering the trouble we have had in the past, and I won't list them, if it were up to me I would make it mandatory to 3 years, if not 4. I don't see it affecting recruiting because scholarships don't grow on trees and Victory Hall is really nice and because the amenities it offers the student athletic gives them an advantage towards helping earn their degree. And if they want to eventually live off campus they can earn it as a Senior.

Rick