Canales Vs. The High School Todds

Anyone care to guess what a nightmare we'd be in if the Todds were still running the offense with all of the injuries we've had?

Look at what has happened: Because of injuries, Mike Canales changed the offense he'd installed in the spring and worked all fall. And, he did it in less than one week! That's adjusting, folks!

Think about that. Since February, the guys were learning Canales new offense to be led by passers Tune and Thompson. Both get injured, along with the top two centers, and what happens? The guy comes out with a game plan where we can actually succeed with Riley as quarterback.

Many of us have said for years that you've got to have people in place who know what they're doing. After three years of throw, throw, throw and throw some more - whether it's working or not, and most of the time it wasn't - we see what a college football coach does.

Canales had us moving the ball against Clemson at Clemson. Three weeks later, we're two QBs down, and he gets our retread rolling with a completely different scheme. He didn't just try to plug Riley into the same plan Tune and Thompson had. Genius...or, just common sense?

The guy is good. We may not win another game (I think we'll win at least three more, by the way), but it won't be because Canales isn't doing his job.

Next, we'll see what wrinkles he puts in against ULL, who now have game film of Running Riley and the Hamilton/Dunbar Wildcat.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

If No Todd Dodge In 2011='s Hiring of A Name Coach (may have to be one like Fry whose career we recycled but nevertheless we got further down the road with him than we would have another project, ie, assistant coach who EVERYBODY likes and wants to give a chance in Denton.......................uh, been there--done that haven't we? We have to avoid that temptation if Todd Dodge is not around after this season.

Funny things happen in the NCAA and we all know that from DD's miracle of 2001 which most everyone admired. The stuff on DD from many on this board (including me) did not begin till many years later when we saw something was not going (or growing) right for whatever reason.

Growing Right? Well, 4 bowls were not getting us the results that they would have in most "upwardly bound" NCAA outposts and that mean't no Big Time U job interviews for Dickey (unless you seriously count Idaho as one); no knock out recruiting classes following 4 bowls that did not materialize and then the Sun Belt itself; that is, our conference-mates just looked at us (chuckled a bit) and left us behind eating their dust. Hell, FAU even had the audacity to beat us during 2 of our bowl years but...... Time will tell this Fall if we're still eating SBC dust.

If TDodge hits 7 and is around the next few seasons, who the heck knows, he could turn into the next Bear Bryant or.......be just another typical UNT coach with a whole bunch of years in Denton to really not take us to the next level but waller' in the lower depths of where we've most been most my young adult and middle aged life. NOTE: You Young Gun Alums do not want to go through all that another 25-30 years, right? Well, if you did, then you'd know how a bunch of us older turkeys feel now.

The reason many on this board are still pulling for TDodge is as American as apple pie itselff--it's the old we like to pull for the under-dog thing. Many of us think he has a tough road ahead this Fall, but nonetheless, if he pulls it off then that means "OUR" team has been a success this year and I don't know of any of the TDodge-Dislikers who would object to that, right?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

If No Todd Dodge In 2011='s Hiring of A Name Coach (may have to be one like Fry whose career we recycled but nevertheless we got further down the road with him than we would have another project, ie, assistant coach who EVERYBODY likes and wants to give a chance in Denton.......................uh, been there--done that haven't we? We have to avoid that temptation if Todd Dodge is not around after this season.

Funny things happen in the NCAA and we all know that from DD's miracle of 2001 which most everyone admired. The stuff on DD from many on this board (including me) did not begin till many years later when we saw something was not going (or growing) right for whatever reason.

Growing Right? Well, 4 bowls were not getting us the results that they would have in most "upwardly bound" NCAA outposts and that mean't no Big Time U job interviews for Dickey (unless you seriously count Idaho as one); no knock out recruiting classes following 4 bowls that did not materialize and then the Sun Belt itself; that is, our conference-mates just looked at us (chuckled a bit) and left us behind eating their dust. Hell, FAU even had the audacity to beat us during 2 of our bowl years but...... Time will tell this Fall if we're still eating SBC dust.

If TDodge hits 7 and is around the next few seasons, who the heck knows, he could turn into the next Bear Bryant or.......be just another typical UNT coach with a whole bunch of years in Denton to really not take us to the next level but waller' in the lower depths of where we've most been most my young adult and middle aged life. NOTE: You Young Gun Alums do not want to go through all that another 25-30 years, right? Well, if you did, then you'd know how a bunch of us older turkeys feel now.

The reason many on this board are still pulling for TDodge is as American as apple pie itselff--it's the old we like to pull for the under-dog thing. Many of us think he has a tough road ahead this Fall, but nonetheless, if he pulls it off then that means "OUR" team has been a success this year and I don't know of any of the TDodge-Dislikers who would object to that, right?

GMG!

Not meant as a knock on the man or a defense of the Dickey Monster, but applying your logic, is RV not that great because no one has tried to hire him away?

• Upvote 2

Poor Dodge, when he loses: he gets the lion share of the blame, but a win and it is the great coordinators.

I highly doubt, Dodge has turned everything over to his assistants; but even if he has, he deserves credit for the win. Everyone involves should share in this and I hope many more victories this year including Dodge.

• Upvote 6

Oh, but he has according to one alum I spoke to. Try again, Quoner.

GMG!

Auburn Crimson Tigers?

Seriously, we've been closer to losing Hank more times than RV. It's not meant as slight, but just a knock against upward mobility as your go-to talking point.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 1

If you can run the football consistently to eat clock when you need to, and stop the run when you have to (<100 yds), and keep penalties to a minimum (3), and make stops on third down at critical times (4-11) while making third downs consistently (10 of 15), you will win more football games than you lose. UNT delivered in all these phases Saturday. With and without Canales.

I highly doubt, Dodge has turned everything over to his assistants;

Dodge said so himself over the summer in an interview. Canales coaches the QBs, makes the game plan, and calls the play during the game.

Dodge also said that he'd be giving more of his time to the special teams. I think it's probably better to hire in a real special teams coach, but I'll take the baby steps. It took us four years - and 31 losses in three seasons - to get a college coaching staff assembled.

With some success this year, maybe we'll finally have a special teams/TE coach in 2011...to help break in the new stadium (which seems to be our battle cry for every wish for the future).

At least this week.

Their relationship is very disfunctional.

It was really rocky after the Dodge wildcat play late in the Rice game. The Army game...what can you do? Your second team QB goes down early, you're in a jam with the third guy who hasn't taken non-Wildcat snaps at QB since March.

But, given five days to install an offense specifically tailored to Riley's weak arm and quick legs, Canales gets it done. This is night and day different than the Todds trying to have Riley throw it every down, come hell or high water.

And, that's the difference. Canales knows what he has and finds a way to make it work. In the prior three years, and even with Dickey/Flanagan, the coaches just tried to plug back-ups into failing systems...too much pride in their "systems."

You've got to know what to do at this level to succeed. Dodge (or RV forcing Dodge behind the scenes...whichever way it happened doesn't matter) giving up control to Canales was the best thing that could have happened to this program. The Todds were clueless at this level; Chico is not.

There's now some mystery in our game plans and play calling for opposing defensive coordinators. They can no longer just have linebackers blitz with abandon while defensive backs sit on our slants and bubble screens and blow them up, play after play after play, series after series after series, game after game after game, season after season after season.

Thank goodness we finally have a bona fide QB coach and offensive coordinator. We finally have some hope of success in the Sun Belt.

...in the Sun Belt. Baby steps. It's baby steps with this school. But, at least we finally have a college coaching staff baby-stepping in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

It was really rocky after the Dodge wildcat play late in the Rice game. The Army game...what can you do? Your second team QB goes down early, you're in a jam with the third guy who hasn't taken non-Wildcat snaps at QB since March.

But, given five days to install an offense specifically tailored to Riley's weak arm and quick legs, Canales gets it done. This is night and day different than the Todds trying to have Riley throw it every down, come hell or high water.

And, that's the difference. Canales knows what he has and finds a way to make it work. In the prior three years, and even with Dickey/Flanagan, the coaches just tried to plug back-ups into failing systems...too much pride in their "systems."

You've got to know what to do at this level to succeed. Dodge (or RV forcing Dodge behind the scenes...whichever way it happened doesn't matter) giving up control to Canales was the best thing that could have happened to this program. The Todds were clueless at this level; Chico is not.

There's now some mystery in our game plans and play calling for opposing defensive coordinators. They can no longer just have linebackers blitz with abandon while defensive backs sit on our slants and bubble screens and blow them up, play after play after play, series after series after series, game after game after game, season after season after season.

Thank goodness we finally have a bona fide QB coach and offensive coordinator. We finally have some hope of success in the Sun Belt.

...in the Sun Belt. Baby steps. It's baby steps with this school. But, at least we finally have a college coaching staff baby-stepping in the right direction.

+1

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Look, the coaches did a good job, but...

Any coaching staff that was preparing for the 120th ranked rushing defense in FBS football and doesn't have a game plan geared toward the run should be fired immediately after the game. They kind of exploited the obvious, don't ya think?

It just funny to watch you go from the highest high to the lowest low on a weekly basis. It's just a microcosm of the board in general,

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

Any coaching staff that was preparing for the 120th ranked rushing defense in FBS football and doesn't have a game plan geared toward the run should be fired immediately after the game. They kind of exploited the obvious, don't ya think?

It just funny to watch you go from the highest high to the lowest low on a weekly basis. It's just a microcosm of the board in general,

Even that I am not sure would get this staff fired. I told a friend just the other day of our coach's record and he swore I was lying to him.

Even that I am not sure would get this staff fired. I told a friend just the other day of our coach's record and he swore I was lying to him.

Hey it's 6 - 34 Dang it !!! Change your signature.You probably told him 5 - 34 and that's why he didn't believe you. 6 out of 40 is much more believable

SARGE OUT

Edited by NT03

Hmmm. Well, that former offense coordinator didn't seem to be able to figure out how to break those low-ranked Sun Belt defenses, though, eh? And, he had three years to take a crack at them - 21 games, 2 wins?

What are we now 1-0 in the Sun Belt with Canales? I don't think it will take him 21 games to get us to two wins in the Sun Belt as it did with the pass-pass-pass-pass-regardless-of-the-opposing-defense Ford/Dodge combo.

In fact, I'm willing to wager. Anyone want to bet me that this offense under Mike Canales won't produce two Sun Belt wins in 2010 - and, thereby, equal Ford's three year total?

Also, here's a riddle for Batman and others similarly situated in league against the joker: which college team hired Ford after we let him go? I mean, based on his record against low-ranked, Sun Belt defenses someone surely was clamoring for his services. FBS-level? FCS? DII? DIII? NAIA? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

If Ford was still here, we'd have passed all day and FAU would have beaten us. Thankfully, sanity is restored with a college coach in Canales who can watch game film of an opposing Sun Belt defense and craft a game plan to beat it.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Hmmm. Well, that former offense coordinator didn't seem to be able to figure out how to break those low-ranked Sun Belt defenses, though, eh? And, he had three years to take a crack at them - 21 games, 2 wins?

What are we now 1-0 in the Sun Belt with Canales? I don't think it will take him 21 games to get us to two wins in the Sun Belt as it did with the pass-pass-pass-pass-regardless-of-the-opposing-defense Ford/Dodge combo.

In fact, I'm willing to wager. Anyone want to bet me that this offense under Mike Canales won't produce two Sun Belt wins in 2010 - and, thereby, equal Ford's three year total?

Also, here's a riddle for Batman and others similarly situated in league against the joker: which college team hired Ford after we let him go? I mean, based on his record against low-ranked, Sun Belt defenses someone surely was clamoring for his services. FBS-level? FCS? DII? DIII? NAIA? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

If Ford was still here, we'd have passed all day and FAU would have beaten us. Thankfully, sanity is restored with a college coach in Canales who can watch game film of an opposing Sun Belt defense and craft a game plan to beat it.

To be clear, I'm very happy we have Canales here. He's legit.

That being said, the above is kinda bunk. To say that Ford/Dodge did not run the ball is not correct. As a matter of fact, Riley was able to execute the zone-read so well on Saturday because he ran it over and over last year. I highly doubt it would have been pass-pass-pass-pass...as you stated.

Now would Ford have called the right pass plays at the right time so Darius would score twice? Doubtful.

"He" put up over 31 points per game on them last year.

I am willing to wager that the defense and special teams will not repeatedly collapse in the 4th quarter at critical times, and that this defense under Gary DeLoach will not surrender 39+ points per game to Sun Belt offenses, and thereby produce at least two Sun Belt wins in 2010!

Revisionist history at it's finest.

Offense wasn't the problem last year. Defense and Special Teams were the problem. Special Teams still is a problem, and defense seems to be improving (time will tell).

I understand the displeasure with an almost complete high school staff being brought here to coach this team, but let's not alter facts to help your point of view.

Lets take a look, shall we?:

MTSU - IN a game in which UNT was down 30-7 at the half (where is the defense), UNT still ran the ball for 176 yards on 25 carries. UNT had 294 yards passing on 54 attempts (can you say playing from behind?). UNT scored 21 points in that game. MTSU scored 37.

LaLa- IN a game where UNT' offense had provided a 2 score lead going into the 4th quarter, UNT ran the ball 43 times for 235 yards while passing 38 times for 209 yards. UNT scored 34 points. LaLa scored 38.

FAU - IN a game UNT trailed 37-19 early in the 3rd, UNT ran the ball 36 times for 270 yards. UNT threw the ball 24 times for 246 yards. UNT scored 40 points. FAU scored 44.

Troy - In a game that UNT trailed 34-7 at the half, UNT ran the ball 26 times for 128 yards. UNT threw the ball 33 times for 267 yards. UNT scored 26 points, Troy scored 50.

WKU - In a true shootout, UNT allowed 49 points in 3 qtrs of play, UNT ran the ball 44 times for 321 yards, UNT threw the the ball 30 times for 262 yards. UNT scored 68 points (Thank God). WKU scored 49, in 3 quarters.

ULM - In a total domination in which , UNT ran the ball 28 times for 79 yards and threw the ball 37 times for 189 yards (again, playing from way behind). UNT scored 6 points, ULM scored 33.

FIU - In a game that UNT led 28-14 at the half, UNT ran the ball 45 times for 199 yards and threw the ball 37 times for 315 yards. UNT scored 28 points, FIU scored 35.

Ark St. - In a game that Ark St lead 27-7 at the half, UNT ran the ball 26 times for 140 yards and threw the ball 28 times for 128 yards. UNT also needlessly burned the redshirt of Derek Thompson. UNT scored 26 points, Ark St. scored 30.

So lets review. The UNT defense gave up 27 or more points in 5 of 8 conference games by halftime. UNT's offense scored 26 or more points in 6 of 8 conference games.

Revisiting these games, I find myself amazed that the run to pass ratio in many of these blowouts-by-halftime are anywhere close to even. MTSU is really the only game where they are overly lopsided. It looks to me like the coaches went with what worked (and I am not a fan of defending this staff).

You can't routinely give up almost 30 points by half and expect to win a conference game.

And the true kicker? The offensive point production of last weeks game would have won exactly...... ZERO CONFERENCE GAMES LAST YEAR.

But, never let facts stand in the way of a love /hate relationship with a new offensive coordinator.

• Upvote 1