Sat By A Rice Dad At The Game

the real grad88

I sat beside a father of one of the Rice players at the game, a very nice gentleman from Lake Dallas. We talked a lot about NT and Dodge and Texas college football in general. A couple of things he said, I thought were interesting. (1) He said that most folks from Rice want to see NT in the same conference and they want to see a "revived SWC", where every conference game is a short bus ride away. (2) He said that his son was heavily recruited by Dodge (his son was number 5...don't remember his name). He said that they were very impressed with Dodge and UNT and would have come had it not been for the difference in money in the programs...resulting in such things as LONG bus rides at UNT to Belt games as opposed to getting to fly in CUSA. (3) He said that it would be crazy to get rid of Dodge now, but that we should let him have a chance in the new stadium...that if we will stick with Dodge, he will be a winner and so will UNT.

I just thought it was interesting to hear the perspective from someone from the "outside".

On another thread, some want to revive Tom Landry and bring him to UNT. If the owner of the Cowboys, Clint Murchison Jr had given in to the press and the fans and fired Landry, we possibly could not be joking about him coming here from the afterlife. Murchison took a lot of heat for that decision, but proved everybody wrong. NOT YELLING HERE, BUT I AM NOT SAYING IN ANY WAY THAT DODGE IS THE NEXT LANDRY, SO PLEASE HOLD YOUR FIRE. Just simply stating, for the fun of it, how cool it would be if the Dodge saga turned into a success story. That's it, nothing else!

white-flag.jpg

• Upvote 2

Based on the personality of the forum lately, I am probably going to get drilled for this comment.

However, I agree with everything this gentleman from Rice said.

Am I happy with a 5-33 record ? Hell no. The last 2 seasons have been as frustrating as any sports period during my 49 years on this earth.

But, I see a very gradual progression in this team, even if it doesn't show in wins/losses yet. If a coaching staff seems to hit a brick wall, I am all for change. This was true for most NT coaches in the past that have been let go (I did like Matt Simon). Yet, there is something about this staff that I am not ready to give up on yet.

TD has made some major gaffes in the past 3+ seasons. And, he seems to have underestimated what it takes to win at this level. But, Dodge has not been afraid to admit fault and correct the mistakes (i.e. DeLoach, Canales). I admit that wins and losses are the #1 priority. But, outside of experience, our coach has a lot of highly desirable traits. I really believe that all that he lacks is more experience at this level and a little bit of luck for once.

The man is 5-33 and we can still put 24k+ fans in the stands. I honestly believe that a lot of those fans attend because they still believe in this coaching staff and team.

I know the feelings of the majority around here. But, be careful what you wish for. Let's just see how this season turns out, before we jump to any conclusions. When the season is over, try and look at things objectively before making any snap judgements.

FWIW, I am not okay with winning 1 or 2 games again this season. But, I am willing to let the season finish and then look at the big picture. If the program is not improving, then I am all for cutting our losses. Right now, it is way too early.

Go Mean Green ! Let's get this thing started at Army this weekend.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 4

Based on the personality of the forum lately, I am probably going to get drilled for this comment.

However, I agree with everything this gentleman from Rice said.

Am I happy with a 5-33 record ? Hell no. The last 2 seasons have been as frustrating as any sports period during my 49 years on this earth.

But, I see a very gradual progression in this team, even if it doesn't show in wins/losses yet. If a coaching staff seems to hit a brick wall, I am all for change. This was true for most NT coaches in the past that have been let go (I did like Matt Simon). Yet, there is something about this staff that I am not ready to give up on yet.

TD has made some major gaffes in the past 3+ seasons. And, he seems to have underestimated what it takes to win at this level. But, Dodge has not been afraid to admit fault and correct the mistakes (i.e. DeLoach, Canales). I admit that wins and losses are the #1 priority. But, outside of experience, our coach has a lot of highly desirable traits. I really believe that all that he lacks is more experience at this level and a little bit of luck for once.

The man is 5-33 and we can still put 24k+ fans in the stands. I honestly believe that a lot of those fans attend because they still believe in this coaching staff and team.

I know the feelings of the majority around here. But, be careful what you wish for. Let's just see how this season turns out, before we jump to any conclusions. When the season is over, try and look at things objectively before making any snap judgements.

FWIW, I am not okay with winning 1 or 2 games again this season. But, I am willing to let the season finish and then look at the big picture. If the program is not improving, then I am all for cutting our losses. Right now, it is way too early.

Go Mean Green ! Let's get this thing started at Army this weekend.

Well, I will tag team with you in this post. I have been a Dodge supporter, and hell no I don't like to lose. Yes wins and losses is what it comes down to. But the man is a class act who has been a great ambassador for this university which I know a lot of folks could care less about. He started with a near bare cupboard to begin with, and only talk of a new stadium at the time of his hiring. Criticism comes with the job, I understand that. But the way that some want to burn him at the stake does us no good in the eyes of folks who might look here to see what UNT is about.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I don't think Dodge's biggest detractors would disagree with anything akriesman or GreenDozer said. Everyone, almost universally, LIKES Dodge. There is a ton of potential there. At some point, though, he's got to start winning games. The new stadium, and what next year represents for the program, is what really makes THIS season so critical for Dodge and is why most (not everyone) are analyzing every game like it's a make or break situation.

No, he didn't.

And half the starting offense at the beginning of the season was STILL Dickey recruits.

2 bad recruiting years and the same offense that had produced 2 prior losing seasons we talking about here :rolleyes: ?

TTG, you are a great alum and if we had 10,000 more like you, we'd be in the freakin Big 12 today (and I'm serious as a heart attack when I say that). We just agree to disagree many times. No biggie, I did that with some of my favorite cousins, too. :lol:

GMG!

• Upvote 1

You guys are right we need to renew Dodge's contract now for another five years and fast before some big time program steals him a way from us. Just think in 10 years we could have actually accumulated something like 12 wins and that is almost the same as an undefeated season. Wow I can't wait I am get all excited about these wonderful expectations now, oh yeah I have the warm fuzzes now.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Downvote 1

But, I see a very gradual progression in this team, even if it doesn't show in wins/losses yet.

"Very gradual" is putting it mildly. Perhaps in another 20 years Dodge can get his first winning season at UNT. Riley Dodge's son will be quarterback. It will be awesome.