And Another Dang Thannnng !

greeneagle69

1st off, I'll tell you all that I was never blessed with the speed to be a D-back, not even a very very bad one. But I do have some questions about coverage technique. Like most folks, I only turn to see the dbacks because I'm following the flight of the ball...At that point it's too late to get the whole picture. This year our guys seem to be right in the mix.........immediate tackles after catches, knockdowns, even pickoffs because we seem to be faster now at the position. I realize coverage mistakes occur..BUT ! if a receiver gets by, why do our D-backs never look around/back for the ball ????? It seems to me that is a receiver is sprinting all out and is ALREADY 25+ yds downfield, and is still in an all out sprint...that at least HE thinks he may get the ball...OR !!! it's already on the way and almost there. If a ball was underthrown....we wouldnt know it anyway because we dont look !! Some of these catches are made right over our shoulders. A quick pass is different... I get that. I'm talking about the long "hang in the air for 2 days" ball. Why does this continue to happen like we arent even in the room ???? Somebody teach me something here.

1st off, I'll tell you all that I was never blessed with the speed to be a D-back, not even a very very bad one. But I do have some questions about coverage technique. Like most folks, I only turn to see the dbacks because I'm following the flight of the ball...At that point it's too late to get the whole picture. This year our guys seem to be right in the mix.........immediate tackles after catches, knockdowns, even pickoffs because we seem to be faster now at the position. I realize coverage mistakes occur..BUT ! if a receiver gets by, why do our D-backs never look around/back for the ball ????? It seems to me that is a receiver is sprinting all out and is ALREADY 25+ yds downfield, and is still in an all out sprint...that at least HE thinks he may get the ball...OR !!! it's already on the way and almost there. If a ball was underthrown....we wouldnt know it anyway because we dont look !! Some of these catches are made right over our shoulders. A quick pass is different... I get that. I'm talking about the long "hang in the air for 2 days" ball. Why does this continue to happen like we arent even in the room ???? Somebody teach me something here.

It looks like our CB's are getting burned sometimes so they can't keep up with the reciever without looking straight ahead (you slow down when you turn around), and our safeties have skillets for hands (DaWaylon had 2 that should have been picked).

You're taught in pass coverage from the first day you play to never look back and try to close ground when you are beat. 90% of the time it ends up an intereference call or a caught pass, but every now and then you catch up enough to see the receivers eyes get big and are able to swat it away just in time. Jenkins made 2 solid plays last night for the Cowboys in the end zone without ever looking back by reading eyes and body language. It is a very tough thing to do!

You're taught in pass coverage from the first day you play to never look back and try to close ground when you are beat. 90% of the time it ends up an intereference call or a caught pass, but every now and then you catch up enough to see the receivers eyes get big and are able to swat it away just in time. Jenkins made 2 solid plays last night for the Cowboys in the end zone without ever looking back by reading eyes and body language. It is a very tough thing to do!

That's why they are D1 backs...they are supposed to know how to do this "hard stuff". I am wondering why when one is obviously beat such as we saw more than once Saturday evening, and with the 15 yd. penalty and not a spot foul, our DB's just didn't grab a shirt or knock the guy down? Fifteen yards is a bunch better than a TD or 40-50, etc.

It should be automatic that when the receiver is reaching for the ball, you know it is coming and should make a play on it if you are anywhere near him. Because if you hit him or run into him without looking back at the ball, you are going to get called for interference much of the time anyway.