Persepctive From A New Season Ticket Holder

McKinneyMiner

I guess my question for you Emmitt is:

If it's completely justifiable for these fans you speak of to swear off watching until there's a regime change, then why are you still watching?

I think the answer is, it's not OK... that's why you still show up. That's why I still show up. Why would you continue to subject yourself to these losses? Because you are a FAN! I don't know all of the details on the fans you speak of, but to me they reek of "fair-weather fandom". We need more fans like you and fewer fans like the ones you speak of.

I can't answer for Emmitt, but I'm a 1991 UNT graduate who has followed the program since 1987. I tried to give up for good in the off season, decided to give Dodge one last chance to produce some wins this year, and am near quitting.

I don't feel like spending the next 20 years rooting for a lousy program with low resources that produces excuses instead of wins. Living in Florida, I see what it would be like to follow programs that aren't permanently mired in mediocrity. Even newer programs like USF and UCF have been head and shoulders above UNT.

The way the school got rid of Bataille -- and she gutlessly refused to explain her ouster -- didn't help matters.

Maybe the stadium will change things, but I'm just not seeing it. This is a win-or-else year for me as a UNT fan.

• Downvote 1

I can't answer for Emmitt, but I'm a 1991 UNT graduate who has followed the program since 1987. I tried to give up for good in the off season, decided to give Dodge one last chance to produce some wins this year, and am near quitting.

I don't feel like spending the next 20 years rooting for a lousy program with low resources that produces excuses instead of wins. Living in Florida, I see what it would be like to follow programs that aren't permanently mired in mediocrity. Even newer programs like USF and UCF have been head and shoulders above UNT.

The way the school got rid of Bataille -- and she gutlessly refused to explain her ouster -- didn't help matters.

Maybe the stadium will change things, but I'm just not seeing it. This is a win-or-else year for me as a UNT fan.

cate.gif

Edited by ColoradoEagle

If you don't want to do something in the first place, or maybe if its too hard, one can always find an excuse. Nothing new about that when it comes to support for UNT or anything else that gets a bit tough. You know who your friends are when the times get tough. No problem...when the bandwagon gets rolling they'll be back and will be telling everyone how they sat through all the tough years. Bank on it! That's they way it usually goes with this sort of thing. I wish them no ill will and will be glad to have them back when the winning starts or the regime is changed or whatever else they have as an excuse right now. Just wouldn't want them "next to me in a foxhole when the shooting starts".

Just saying.....

Go Mean Green!

If you don't want to do something in the first place, or maybe if its too hard, one can always find an excuse. Nothing new about that when it comes to support for UNT or anything else that gets a bit tough. You know who your friends are when the times get tough. No problem...when the bandwagon gets rolling they'll be back and will be telling everyone how they sat through all the tough years. Bank on it! That's they way it usually goes with this sort of thing. I wish them no ill will and will be glad to have them back when the winning starts or the regime is changed or whatever else they have as an excuse right now. Just wouldn't want them "next to me in a foxhole when the shooting starts".

A bit tough? We're still waiting for Dodge to equal the 3-win season that got Dickey fired!

I stuck with UNT during the I-AA and Big West years.

Maybe it's not a flaw in personal character to eventually give up on a team that sucks in the worst conference in major college football. Supporting UNT is like going to the same restaurant for year after year hoping the food will get better. At a certain point, the problem's not with the restaurant. It's with you for being stupid enough not to demand any better.

A bit tough? We're still waiting for Dodge to equal the 3-win season that got Dickey fired!

I stuck with UNT during the I-AA and Big West years.

Maybe it's not a flaw in personal character to eventually give up on a team that sucks in the worst conference in major college football. Supporting UNT is like going to the same restaurant for year after year hoping the food will get better. At a certain point, the problem's not with the restaurant. It's with you for being stupid enough not to demand any better.

This is a good illustration. Did you graduate from this restaurant? Did attending this restaurant for 4 years get you a degree that got you a nice carreer?

rcade, you are obviously a fan, or you wouldn't be on this board. Are you really going to jump ship now, or are you just saying that out of frustration?

That question could be asked to a few others on this board as well...

This is a good illustration. Did you graduate from this restaurant? Did attending this restaurant for 4 years get you a degree that got you a nice carreer?

I am proud of having graduated from UNT and served as the school paper's editor. I bring my kids back to campus each summer I visit to restock on UNT gear.

But I can support the school without living out the definition of insanity -- doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results -- with the football program.

rcade, you are obviously a fan, or you wouldn't be on this board. Are you really going to jump ship now, or are you just saying that out of frustration?

I have never threatened to quit before, in all the years I've been posting here. But I need wins like Paris Hilton needs cocaine.