Riley's Role In The 2010 Offense, Etc.

I thought this was an interesting suggestion:

What might be a better plan is to play Riley all over the place and make a defense account for him on every play. Line him up in the slot, in the backfield, at H-back and use him on trick plays.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/05/story-on-army-coach-mailbag.html

This is very encouraging, he really likes Riley. I guess I haven't really considered how Riley will fit into the offense. You have to think Jackson will be the number one choice, then Stradford as the deep threat, followed by Carey and Outlaw. But when it really comes down to it, Riley is still the best athlete on the team. He can really add a different aspect to the offense that DC's will have to account for each week. And don't discount the heart this kid has and the fact that he will want to prove to people that he can still be a huge part of this team, just as Phil Steele does I think Riley will have a hugh season.I am catching some slack for my 7 plus wins prediction on gomeangreen, on this blog, and from friends, but I am not backing down from it, and articles like Phil Steele's is just making my reslove that much stronger, like you said Mr. Vito talent is not the problem it's the use of said talent, this season UNT will use it to have a winning season.

• Downvote 1

This is very encouraging, he really likes Riley. I guess I haven't really considered how Riley will fit into the offense. You have to think Jackson will be the number one choice, then Stradford as the deep threat, followed by Carey and Outlaw. But when it really comes down to it, Riley is still the best athlete on the team. He can really add a different aspect to the offense that DC's will have to account for each week. And don't discount the heart this kid has and the fact that he will want to prove to people that he can still be a huge part of this team, just as Phil Steele does I think Riley will have a hugh season.I am catching some slack for my 7 plus wins prediction on gomeangreen, on this blog, and from friends, but I am not backing down from it, and articles like Phil Steele's is just making my reslove that much stronger, like you said Mr. Vito talent is not the problem it's the use of said talent, this season UNT will use it to have a winning season.

I have no doubt Riley will play a big role this season, will ad a few wrinkles and prove he's still a vital contributor...but let's tap the brakes on "best athlete on this team". This team WILL win this season, but it will be because of things like getting plays called without calling a timeout, receivers who can stretch the field and QB's who can get it there, legit size on the lines, and the use of tight ends and multiple looks...not because a kid with above average speed is in the slot. Gee, how many fast slot receivers do you think defensive coordinators have seen and game planned for?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Is anyone else still worried about Riley's tendency to try and make the big play every time he gets the ball? I love that he wants to score every play but I'd still like to see him protect the ball more.

After thinking about my pervious comment I'm going to take back what I said. We need more playmakers at that position and I think I'd prefer someone who wants to score.

Best athlete on the team???? I stopped reading your post once I skimmed that ridiculous line.

I really like Riley and was hoping he'd stay at QB, but let's be realistic here. If this team wins 6 games, it's not because Riley all of a sudden is playing slot receiver. The man will contribute, but I really see him as a specialty player. This team already has depth with experience & speed at WR.

• Upvote 1

Best athlete on the team???? I stopped reading your post once I skimmed that ridiculous line.

I really like Riley and was hoping he'd stay at QB, but let's be realistic here. If this team wins 6 games, it's not because Riley all of a sudden is playing slot receiver. The man will contribute, but I really see him as a specialty player. This team already has depth with experience & speed at WR.

The best thing that might come out of this is that he can just be a player on the team, a good or great one, and not looked upon as some Neo-esque "The One" that is expected to leap tall buildings, solve the Flux-Capacitor quandary, and save the Na'vi on every single play.

I have no doubt Riley will play a big role this season, will ad a few wrinkles and prove he's still a vital contributor...but let's tap the brakes on "best athlete on this team". This team WILL win this season, but it will be because of things like getting plays called without calling a timeout, receivers who can stretch the field and QB's who can get it there, legit size on the lines, and the use of tight ends and multiple looks...not because a kid with above average speed is in the slot. Gee, how many fast slot receivers do you think defensive coordinators have seen and game planned for?

I've seen this repeated on the board over and over again this offseason (after Riley was moved to WR). I'd like to know why several people think Nathan Tune or D. Thompson's arm strength adds anything more to our offense than Meager or Vizza's arm strength did in T. Dodge's first 2 years. The offense that we've been running doesn't work "well" if the QB isn't efficient/effective at both abilities---running and throwing. From everything I've seen, Tune cannot run and Thompson seems to be about as good a runner as Vizza was. Unless Canales changes things up dramatically, switching back to a strong-armed QB who doesn't also present the threat to run doesn't add anything more to our offense than what we saw the first 2 years. Are you also banking on the fact that our oline is better and more experienced than in those first 2 years and that will help us establish the run? Very few teams that stand their lineman up are able to do this....why will we be different? I'd honestly like to know...not trying to be a smart-@ss.