I just find it comical that we denounce drilling for oil domestically when we demand isn't influenced by which country is doing the drilling. We're going to get the stuff no matter what.

One of the hopes of getting oil from US reserves is the price be more stable and not subject to wild price swings due to geopolitical situations which the average citizen of the US has no control over.

• Upvote 1

I just find it comical that we denounce drilling for oil domestically when we demand isn't influenced by which country is doing the drilling. We're going to get the stuff no matter what.

One of the hopes of getting oil from US reserves is the price be more stable and not subject to wild price swings due to geopolitical situations which the average citizen of the US has no control over.

I can't find anything comical in this. And this well blowout leaves me feeling less like the American Citizen has any control over any of this. Sorry, right now I'm just not feeling the love for big oil in general, or British Petroleum (or whatever they're calling themselves now), in particular. Not that the Houston refinery blast is directly related to this, but I am kinda wondering if BP has just been neglecting worker safety and the environment, just for short term financial gain, while trying to use their "green" campaign as a public relations cover. Fire away.

• Upvote 2

All of this got me thinking, and searching for crap on my phone, and I was trying to figure out what the oil industry lumps into the water annually, how much is natural, how much is accident, has something like this ever happened before and how often does something like this happen that we don't know about?I found some interesting stuff, nothing that makes this ok but maybe it can add some perspective.

http://www.incidentnews.gov/incident/6250.

This is written about a massive spill in the gulf of Mexico in 79

http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/oceanography-book/oilspills.htm

this will take you to a very interesting online textbook provided by aTm. I tend to trust them on the oil stuff thanks to their tremendous engineering program. They talk about what is normal amounts of oil in the water and where it comes from etc. This year isn't normal of course but it also addresses several major oils spills as well.

What we need here is some perspective on the issue as a whole. No amount of man made oilspills is acceptable however there is a certain amount of price you pay to play the game isn't there?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All of this got me thinking, and searching for crap on my phone, and I was trying to figure out what the oil industry lumps into the water annually, how much is natural, how much is accident, has something like this ever happened before and how often does something like this happen that we don't know about?I found some interesting stuff, nothing that makes this ok but maybe it can add some perspective.

http://www.incidentn.../incident/6250.

This is written about a massive spill in the gulf of Mexico in 79

http://oceanworld.ta...k/oilspills.htm

this will take you to a very interesting online textbook provided by aTm. I tend to trust them on the oil stuff thanks to their tremendous engineering program. They talk about what is normal amounts of oil in the water and where it comes from etc. This year isn't normal of course but it also addresses several major oils spills as well.

What we need here is some perspective on the issue as a whole. No amount of man made oilspills is acceptable however there is a certain amount of price you pay to play the game isn't there?

I guess the problem, as I see it, is that we aren't doing enough to protect the environment, and to balance all the interests, all of which ultimately affect our well being as humans. I think the real question is: are we willing to accept the increases in price and changes in the regulatory environment that would be required to make petroleum exploration and production safer?

• Upvote 1

I hate to say it, but "stuff" happens. This is a terrible accident that, like most accidents, when the after event finger pointing starts there were plenty of reasons found for the event that, if corrected or handled differently in the first place, would have prevented the event from taking place. Too bad, and it is just as bad that the finger pointing starts, that politics come into play (and man have they ever) and all the special interest folks start trying to do the "I told you so thing".

This is so tiring. Instead of marshaling all resources to "fix" the leak and mitigate the damage we spend time finger pointing, playing the blame game and publicly bashing everyone involved except of course those of your like thinking. So very childish.

What will come of this is, hopefully, some new ideas and new ways to prevent such things from happening in the future or, should they happen, to "clean them up" better and faster. It does not make anyone, including the president of this great nation of ours, look good going around acting mad and pointing fingers. There is plenty of blame, if that is your game, to go around from the public to the private sector. Fair enough, but now "SHUT UP" and get the thing fixed, cleaned up and move on.

For some folks it is always great to have someone to blame for everything, except themselves, of course.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

http://www.wimp.com/solutionoil/

OK, simple solution. This starts out looking like a joke...but check out what two good creative Southern Boys have come up with to help clean the crap up. This is pretty simple stuff when you think about it. But, since this is too simple and wasn't thought up by some government baccarat or high paid scientist somewhere, it will probably never see the light of day. However, i sure hope it does. Pretty interesting. I hope the link works.

Never underestimate the greatness of the American entrepreneur!

Drill more. We can not stop oil/gas exploration/drilling because of far and few between accidents just like we can not stop or place more regulations on cars for their accidents and trains, planes, playground/recreational equipment, baby cribs, and the list is endless. Once we have banned or placed draconian restrictions on everything because of safety then we go back to living in caves. Crap happens......crap happens every day.....live with it. Nobody does it intentionally. Do I think what happened is bad? yep.....will it effect the environment? yep, for a short time...but the good thing about where we live is that the environment will get over it too.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

A lot of people get mad when things like this happen. And it is understandable. But, people who start suggesting that "we stop drilling as everyone else should too" really don't understand what they are saying. We don't have the technology for alternate forms of energy to meet the requirements for the modern life. Unless people are willing to go back to horse and buggy then we must drill for oil.

• Upvote 1

Which is what exactly? What the hell are you doing? Being pissed about an oil spill is not a liberal or conservative emotion. When man fucks up and in turn it helps destroy mother earth, shouldn't we all be pissed off?

+1 for being a dork. You must be a big boy to use those words.

I'm just asking you to follow your own reasoning. You said, "This what happens when we 'drill baby drill.'" Drilling is done to provide the resources necessary to drive cars, mail letters, ship packages, etc. If you say you want to stop drilling, you must quit providing the need for those resources.

I am not remotely happy about the oil spill. But I am not able to say, "I'm going to quit driving, mailing letters, buying goods that are shipped, etc." Ending drilling is not an option for me, and I doubt it is for for either. You are the one who turned this into a political issue by mocking conservatives who are in favor of domestic drilling.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2