Article On Blake Dunham

Personally, I think UNT is well set at the deep snapper position. I believe UNT's current (and college experienced) deep snapper has proven to be able to handle the chores just fine. Troy K. is a senior this next season, so having young Dunham "in the wings" is a very nice thing for the Mean Green. A redshirt year makes a ton of sense for this young man. I think this is a good addition to the squad for several reasons and I'm glad to have him. Again, redshirt this next year, of course, but given that he should get bigger, stronger and faster...I see good things in the years to come.

Welcome to the Mean Green.

These articles are hard to read for me... so many errors.

I know the internet is all about unzipping your pants and letting everything wave freely, but here's a strong $25 investment for anyone who wants to be any form of journalist and/or semi-official writing source for stuff that interests a small demographic of people: http://www.apstylebook.com/

Or, save the $25 if that is too steep and ask a friend to read your post before or right after you publish. I cringe every time I read what was free-associated and posted in my blog days for a variety of reasons, but crappy, non-edited writing always caused the biggest winces.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd rather have a website devoted to the mean green with a few errors then no website at all.

That's the kind of attitude that has to change. HIGHER EXPECTATIONS!!11!!!1 Demand betterz!

I know the internet is all about unzipping your pants and letting everything wave freely, but here's a strong $25 investment for anyone who wants to be any form of journalist and/or semi-official writing source for stuff that interests a small demographic of people: http://www.apstylebook.com/

Or, save the $25 if that is too steep and ask a friend to read your post before or right after you publish. I cringe every time I read what was free-associated and posted in my blog days for a variety of reasons, but crappy, non-edited writing always caused the biggest winces.

I totally relate. In fact I have edited stuff I've posted long after they've (probably)quit getting views - just to fix punctuation etc., because it annoyed me so much when I looked back at them. I didn't even care if anyone else would ever read the "fixed" version, at least it wasn't totally screwed up.

Edited by CMJ

I totally relate. In fact I have edited stuff I've posted long after they've (probably)quit getting views - just to fix punctuation etc, because it annoyed me so much when i looked back at them. I didn't even care if anyone else would ever read the "fixed" version, at least it wasn't totally screwed up.

Then you'll want to make sure to put a space after your closing parenthesis, put a period after "etc," and capitalize "i."

Just trying to avert your annoyance.

• Upvote 1

Then you'll want to make sure to put a space after your closing parenthesis, put a period after "etc," and capitalize "i."

Just trying to avert your annoyance.

I'm never sure what to to do with a parenthesis when you put it at the beginning instead of ending of the word. It looks plain strange if it's totally separate. Do people try and attach it to the end of the previous word, like normal, when you want them to attach it to the beginning of the next word?

Using a comma after a period just looks strange, even though I "know" it is grammatically correct. It always trips me up though, BECAUSE it looks wrong somehow. Perhaps I should just spell out et cetera.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

While I agree with your sentiment, I did chuckle at the irony...

Damn my third grade teacher for never helping me understand the then/ than difference! But hey, I'm a Construction Engineering major, I don't need to know how to spell.

I mean no ill will and hope to continue to see content from this gentlemen as he has already expressed more fervor for the Mean Green than a lot of die-hards. I love him so hard for that.

I can get past missing punctuation and misuse of homophones. In fact, when done intentionally, (and sometimes unintentionally) homophones can be most comedic. But the incomplete thoughts, run-on sentences and general lack of grammar really make me spend more time reading than necessary, simply because I can't understand the meaning in some cases.

I agree it's better to have the content with flaws than no content at all. While we are on the subject of content - A++ on the content. Some really engaging things for us mean green fans on that site. Two thumbs up, for that effort. It just seems like a quick re-read/fix would put it over the top.

Perhaps the joke's on me, if this gentlemen was able to sell his previous site for a professional retirement sum of money for such unprofessional writing. But alas, it's only speculation on my part that his millions were made by selling a fan blog. Perhaps he invented waterless urinals. To his credit, he doesn't claim to be a professional, and it's just a blog.

Just a very difficult read for me.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I mean no ill will and hope to continue to see content from this gentlemen as he has already expressed more fervor for the Mean Green than a lot of die-hards. I love him so hard for that.

I can get past missing punctuation and misuse of homophones. In fact, when done intentionally, (and sometimes unintentionally) homophones can be most comedic. But the incomplete thoughts, run-on sentences and general lack of grammar really make me spend more time reading than necessary, simply because I can't understand the meaning in some cases.

I agree it's better to have the content with flaws and no content at all. While we are on the subject of content - A++ on the content. Some really engaging things for us mean green fans on that site. Two thumbs up, for that effort. It just seems like a quick re-read/fix would put it over the top.

Perhaps the joke's on me, if this gentlemen was able to sell his previous site for a professional retirement sum of money for such unprofessional writing. But alas, it's only speculation on my part that his millions were made by selling a fan blog. Perhaps he invented waterless urinals. To his credit, he doesn't claim to be a professional, and it's just a blog.

Just a very difficult read for me.

Let's hear it for the content, warts and all, especially at this time of year. And I hate to admit it, but I will: my expectations are lower for sports writing than for other content. Nothing against anyone here, because I'll agree with what someone (from Western Kentucky, of all places) wrote during the basketball season, that GMG members write at a much higher level than those posting on similar fan forums.

So, this is now a site where all the pseudo-grammar elites like to hang out? It's amazes me how often one will see some sort of "correction" made by one the grammar-snobs on board just to see the grammar-snob turn around and make an error. But, of course, no ground swell of criticism comes their way after the error. I'll worry about all the grammar and spelling errors when it means something. Here, not so much. I'm looking for content and opinions here, not English lessons. Besides, has all the criticism changed anything? Why not worry about something you can do something about? And, if you can do something about it, why worry?

By the way, I thought this was a thread relating to an article on Mean Green signee Blake Dunham. Wow, it's plenty fine to hijack the thread, but don't you dare post in any manner other than the most proper form. Hijacking is allowed, but spelling and grammar must be precise. Nice.

OK, grade away grammar snobs. laugh.gif

• Downvote 3

So, this is now a site where all the pseudo-grammar elites like to hang out? It's amazes me how often one will see some sort of "correction" made by one the grammar-snobs on board just to see the grammar-snob turn around and make an error. But, of course, no ground swell of criticism comes their way after the error. I'll worry about all the grammar and spelling errors when it means something. Here, not so much. I'm looking for content and opinions here, not English lessons. Besides, has all the criticism changed anything? Why not worry about something you can do something about? And, if you can do something about it, why worry?

By the way, I thought this was a thread relating to an article on Mean Green signee Blake Dunham. Wow, it's plenty fine to hijack the thread, but don't you dare post in any manner other than the most proper form. Hijacking is allowed, but spelling and grammar must be precise. Nice.

OK, grade away grammar snobs. laugh.gif

Don't get all huffy just because you're known for scarcely being able to complete a sentence without 18 quotation marks, 4 typos and 7 ellipses. Many of us come from the journalism school and if someone wants to be an unofficial official content provider, I think it's fair to offer feedback in a polite way. No one's diagramming direct objects, just saying: "hey, maybe have someone reread and edit before you publish like anyone else in the world writing for a living." If it's not mean-spirited and seeking to destroy his message, what's the big deal?

Besides, didn't I just see a few of you lamenting the downfall of American education, values and intelligence in another forum on this very board? Those dam kids kneed to right good!

As for policing this board, it's just fun to geitrjde...your'e goat!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The more people we have caring and writing about North Texas the better and it is great to see the new sites popping up. It shows how people care and gives them another way to invest in the program. I just wanted to make sure that sentiment stood alone in this thread.

Thanks to EagleTalk man, aztecskin, puff daddy, grand master flash, tobi rights, snoop dogg, nwa, the rza and PUFF DADDY!

Damn my third grade teacher for never helping me understand the then/ than difference! But hey, I'm a Construction Engineering major, I don't need to know how to spell.

Note to self:

Self, please check any building you are entering to make sure it was not built by NTerock. ;)