Mean Green Lookin' For Games Next Season

The Home & Home with Tulane also looks real good, there in 2011 and Denton for 2012, especially since we are losing UNO in that particular market. Their contact does have an unusual name though.

Why wouldn't you just go by Richard if that were your name?

Anyone know if Tim Duryea, at Utah State, is the Tim Duryea that played (and I believe asst coached) at NT? Think he played for us in the early 90's and was a Denton boy.

GMG

Yep, Scott that is the same Time Duryea that was a co-captain on the 1988 North Texas basketball team that went to the NCAA tournament.

I didn't realize that the Denton High product actually went to UT-Pan American before coming to UNT. After he left here as an assistant coach he went to Hutchinson CC as head coach and then to Utah State.

This is why we end up playing UT-Hooterville, we advertise thru want ads waiting for D-II schoools instead of finding an opponent we want. Why can't we just call local schools we need to be playing like TCU et al and say "You need a game, we need a game, let's play!" ?

How do ya know TCU hasn't been contacted ? How do you know what schools have or haven't been contacted ? You're making a big assumption with your post.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Do you know we have? You're making just as big an assumption.

We probably have called TCU, and I would hope Smut too. Main point is there are enough D-1 schools out there that we never need to schedule a lower division school. What purpose does it serve other than giving them a play-up game?

The difficulty is probably in getting preferred teams to The Pit or to schedule home-home games.

The difficulty is probably in getting preferred teams to The Pit or to schedule home-home games.

But you have to look deeper than that. I would be willing to bet the reason we can't get a home and home is because we can't afford to pay the schools what they require to come to Denton (or don't want to). With schools like LSU and Tech added, maybe we have already spent all we can to lure the "major" programs to Denton?

Just a thought.

Our recent success and record is also hurting, probably. TCU and SMU want nothing to do with us, as they know they will lose and they don't want to take the metroplex 'hits.' It's juvenile, but that is probably the thinking on their part. Instead of having heated rivalries in the metroplex that would generate fans, they probably don't want to risk the humiliation of losing to us. There seems to me to be a happy medium in this scheduling thing. While we might not get Notre Dame here, why must we host Cameron? There ought to be a lot of schools from similar conferences to ours who we could do a home and home with. Notice I did not use the term mid-major.

But you have to look deeper than that. I would be willing to bet the reason we can't get a home and home is because we can't afford to pay the schools what they require to come to Denton (or don't want to). With schools like LSU and Tech added, maybe we have already spent all we can to lure the "major" programs to Denton?

Just a thought.

Just a thought, home and home series don't usually rely on guarantees.

• Upvote 3

While we might not get Notre Dame here, why must we host Cameron? There ought to be a lot of schools from similar conferences to ours who we could do a home and home with. Notice I did not use the term mid-major.

surely an sfa, texas state or utsa could be lured to denton without much arm twisting. make it a return game the same season. better than goin to boise.

Edited by LoveMG

surely an sfa, texas state or utsa could be lured to denton without much arm twisting. make it a return game the same season. better than goin to boise.

RPIs of 151, 187, and 243.

I agree that I'd rather play home-and-homes in the same year with any of them rather than take a guarantee game from another non-Power Conference team like Boise State... But we'd still hear the griping about our RPI and the lack of marquee opponent name appeal.

Yep, Scott that is the same Time Duryea that was a co-captain on the 1988 North Texas basketball team that went to the NCAA tournament.

I didn't realize that the Denton High product actually went to UT-Pan American before coming to UNT. After he left here as an assistant coach he went to Hutchinson CC as head coach and then to Utah State.

I do remember him going to UT-Pan Am before he came here - Does his family still own the moving company here in town I wonder?

Except for reluctance or outright refusal (for whatever reason) from the other team involved.

Clarification:

The no excuses were directed at the TCUs and SMUs of the world. THEY have no excuse to not schedule a home and home with us.

Geez, like that wasn't perfectly clear.

Clarification:

The no excuses were directed at the TCUs and SMUs of the world. THEY have no excuse to not schedule a home and home with us.

Geez, like that wasn't perfectly clear.

It was mostly meant tongue-in-cheek as a joke building on your "logic" joke.

Group hug?