Thanks To All The Road Warriors

stebo

Just wanted to thank all of the fans that gave the Mean Green a somewhat homecourt advantage in this game. It looked like about 500 or so on the TV, not sure how close that guess is - but that was my guess when watching... which was about 480 more than Troy. They say that a home team has a built in 3 point advantage... we won by 3 (I think we won by 3 in all 3 games, right?)... anyways, thank you to the road warriors that made the trip and helped the men win the tourney. You were definitely a factor in the outcomes of these games and I just wish that I could have been there with you.

• Upvote 3

This was my first SBC tournament and I am definitely in for next season. I don't think anything can top this, but then again we should be better next year.

My advice is to either A) book a decent hotel room, or B.) rent a house like TastyGreek and his crew did. Do NOT go cheap on a hotel in Hot Springs.

Incredible night. In 2007, we surprised everyone. This year we were expected to be in the finals, and we exceeded those expectations. It's nice to have a sport in which we excel.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have been both years and have enjoyed myself immensely both times. (even more this year, of course). Two things:

1) Hot Springs embraces the Belt and the tourney. Our league would be fools to not extend the agreement with that city. It's a beautiful place....and the folks there are very friendly.

2) I really like the fans of our conference mates. Good people.

• Upvote 2

Your posts gave me a thought that I maybe one of the few people to see all three NT conference tournament wins. The first in 1988 was held at the Superpit, so there were a lot of people that saw that one, over 4000 if I remember correctly. The one in Lafayette in 2007 was attended by very few, I would guess less than 50 NT fans excluding the spirit groups. It was nice to see a much better crowd in Hot Springs, however there should have been many more NT fans. The facts are that WKU and MTSU both had many more fans and they are further away. Don't mean to rain on a parade but I want this program to maintain and build on their recent success and to do that there has to be more support.

The team was great with all the starters strongly contributing. The bench was not used much but Mangrum played a lot and Williams had some great clutch plays. I do think the NT fans were instrumental in the wins as they significantly outnumbered Troy, Denver and ULM's. I also think the NT's women in their victory over FIU were helped by a good crowd. I almost felt sorry for FIU who seems to be supported by only two fans and their infamous but not very interested in the game eight girl dance team. Unfortunately, the NT fans were probably outnumbered 10 to1 for the MTSU/NT game.

• Upvote 1

I would love for there to be more fans. But like me, many have jobs and kids and a weekday game is very difficult. I wasn't going to take my kids out of school this week to make a week day game this time when I knew I might have a chance to make it the next week when they are in spring break. It worked out for me to go by myself in '07, but it didn't in '10.

As for "More Fans", it's difficult to cultivate fans when our own local newspaper doesn't even seem to care? I know Brett's situation and am not blaming him. But how difficult could it be for the Patterson's to send someone in his place to Hot Springs to cover the event? Today's sports coverage was local high school softball/baseball events. Really? Your local university's basketball team makes the biggest national stage you'll ever find for this time of year and you ignore the opportunity for personal coverage, and instead simply go with AP wire reports, and place nothing on the front page?

Amazing!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

After Western Kentucky, A-State, and UALR, we had the best attendance. A-State has a 3 hour drive and UALR just a one hour trip.

So I am proud of our attendance - it looked and sounded good on TV.

ULM and ULL were among the top five in attendance.

We had a great time at the tournament. Luckily it coincided with husband's take it or lose it vacation time. Talked to several people from our conference mates and all were nice folks, except for the ULM band kid who tried to trash talk an old lady as we walked into our hotel after the game! (He lost, I won.) Enjoyed the horse races and also saw a lot of basketball fans there. We would definitely make the trip again.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!