Four Nt Players Make All Conference Teams

CMJ

George has had a great season. He should have been 1st team for sure......But overall I am happy with the recognition that all four guys received.......When I watch or listen to the games they play a great brand of team basketball and winning is the most important thing to all of them.

George just got hosed. No way Yates should be first team...and he may be one of my all time favorite SBC players, but Nate Rohnert really struggled down the stretch.

Can't figure out a tie-break...can't figure out all conference selections...

Totally agree.. Does this further cement the conspiracy that everyone is out to get us? Coincidence? Mee thinks not! Congrats to our boys and to the two young women who were recognized, inspite of a tough season.

Obvious bias for seniors which was not good for NT. No way either Rohnert or Yates should have been first team. Who chose this team anyway? Yates averaged 12.5 ppg in conference and was not even listed in leading rebounders but averaged 4 for year. A pick totally on prior years and I guess the fact that he played injured but why is that a factor? Rohnert averaged 12.6 ppg with 5.37rb and 3.4 assts., good all around numbers. But how do they beat out Odufuwa who lead conference by 2 a game with 10.8 rebounds and was second in shooting percentage and scored at a 12.3 clip in conference. Odufuwa and ASU's Reed should have been on the first team.

I think White should have been a second teamer although hid numbers are not that good. I doubt there is a better clutch player in the league. Third team though is not bad and White usually has big games in the tournament. Thompson also on the third team is about right. In truth, I don't think Tramiel had that good of conference year and him making the third team was somewhat a surprise particularly after ending the year with a couple of off games. Biggest blunder in my opinion was leaving FIU's Roberts off the all conference team.

Edited by GrandGreen

Someone on the SBC forum made a good point about Rohnert's stats...

Considering that he's doing it in a Princeton offense, you almost have to look at it like someone in a more typical attack scoring 20 ppg. If Rohnert has stats similar to Tristan or someone else in an up-tempo team's lineup, Rohnert is the one who's actually doing more.

Considering that he's doing it in a Princeton offense, you almost have to look at it like someone in a more typical attack scoring 20 ppg. If Rohnert has stats similar to Tristan or someone else in an up-tempo team's lineup, Rohnert is the one who's actually doing more.

So they are treating Tristan as if he is Kliff Kingsbury?

Edited by Keith7
  • Upvote 1

George just got hosed. No way Yates should be first team...and he may be one of my all time favorite SBC players, but Nate Rohnert really struggled down the stretch.

Can't figure out a tie-break...can't figure out all conference selections...

I hate the SunBelt more now than ever.

• Upvote 1

[/quote[/quot

No way, Denver averaged 64.8 ppg which is only slightly lower than the conference median of 68.1. Rohnert took 254 shots only 24 less than the UNT leader in fg attempted. Whoever made that point on the Belt Board didn't bother to look at the statistics.

Edited by GrandGreen

No way, Denver averaged 64.8 ppg which is only slightly lower than the conference median of 68.1. Rohnert took 254 shots only 24 less than the UNT leader in fg attempted. Whoever made that point on the Belt Board didn't bother to look at the statistics.

Not saying I agree with it 100%, but it isn't totally unreasonable. Our guys are pretty efficient scorers compared to much of the league, and Rohnert still shot fewer attempts but averaged more points (to say nothing of his assist and rebounding stats) than Tristan.

When you look at some of the other scoring leaders, many of them are up over 400 attempts on the year. Gantt and Pettigrew are the guys with the fewest attempts (other than White) to score more points per game than Rohnert, and they've got 370 and 360 attempts, respectively.

Rohnert, like Tristan and Josh, does a lot of damage from the line. And he's pretty much the one guy that every opponent can key on, so I find it really impressive that the guy can deliver the way that he does on a consistent basis.

Personally, I think Gantt should have made first team and Rohnert should have been second, but I can appreciate trying to honor an outgoing senior instead of a freshman.

I think Marvin Roberts from FIU got screwed over the worst. George deserved first team, but at least the guy didn't get left off entirely. Roberts deserved some level of all-conference recognition more than Yates, Pettigrew, Tramiel... Basically, every forward that DID get named other than Odufuwa and Tyren Johnson.

I don't know how that guy got left off.

Not saying I agree with it 100%, but it isn't totally unreasonable. Our guys are pretty efficient scorers compared to much of the league, and Rohnert still shot fewer attempts but averaged more points (to say nothing of his assist and rebounding stats) than Tristan.

When you look at some of the other scoring leaders, many of them are up over 400 attempts on the year. Gantt and Pettigrew are the guys with the fewest attempts (other than White) to score more points per game than Rohnert, and they've got 370 and 360 attempts, respectively.

Rohnert, like Tristan and Josh, does a lot of damage from the line. And he's pretty much the one guy that every opponent can key on, so I find it really impressive that the guy can deliver the way that he does on a consistent basis.

Personally, I think Gantt should have made first team and Rohnert should have been second, but I can appreciate trying to honor an outgoing senior instead of a freshman.

I think Marvin Roberts from FIU got screwed over the worst. George deserved first team, but at least the guy didn't get left off entirely. Roberts deserved some level of all-conference recognition more than Yates, Pettigrew, Tramiel... Basically, every forward that DID get named other than Odufuwa and Tyren Johnson.

I don't know how that guy got left off.

Good points, but you are comparing Thompson who made the third team with Rohnert who was put on the first team. My point is although Denver run a variation of the Princeton offense, their scoring is not that far from the normal. Also Thompson's scoring numbers are much better than Rohnert's in conference play. It seems to me that conference statistics are a much more valid comparison for all conference honors than season's. I made the same point about Roberts, but that is just an example of how good players on bad teams are often overlooked. As far as honoring seniors, why? All conference honors should be based on the year not some type of career acheivement award. One of my pet peeves is Texas high school all district honors were almost every senior starter in any sport is all district .

Good points, but you are comparing Thompson who made the third team with Rohnert who was put on the first team. My point is although Denver run a variation of the Princeton offense, their scoring is not that far from the normal. Also Thompson's scoring numbers are much better than Rohnert's in conference play. It seems to me that conference statistics are a much more valid comparison for all conference honors than season's. I made the same point about Roberts, but that is just an example of how good players on bad teams are often overlooked. As far as honoring seniors, why? All conference honors should be based on the year not some type of career acheivement award. One of my pet peeves is Texas high school all district honors were almost every senior starter in any sport is all district .

Oh, I hear you. Again, I'm not saying I agree with either Rohnert on 1st team or giving preferential treatment to seniors. Just that I can understand the reasoning.

I think one of the reasons they favor the seniors (especially Yates this year) is that these sorts of accolades may help them get overseas contracts.

For Yates, this is his third year in a row on the all-conference 1st team. Some of it may be inertia, some of it may be lifetime achievement compensating for this year's reduced stats, some of it may just be an effort to balance out the fact that he's the only Blue Raider that made any of the all-SBC teams.