Why Aren't We More Visible In Dfw?

Side Show Joe

At work today (down in Fort Worth), super frog showed up to promote a tcu reading program to our elementary kids, and sell our students on tcu! I was not happy. He tried to teach the tcu hand sign, or whatever it is they call that thing they do. These people gave away tcu baseball tickets, and t-shirts. Then they talked about the other tcu sports.

I can't blame them for trying to build a fan base, but why aren't we down there?

North Texas is the public university of this region. DFW is our turf too. Lets get Scrapy, some Cheerleaders, and some football and basketball players, with some ties to the schools, down there! We can do this stuff too.

A little PR work now could pay off big in a fews years. Yes or no?

We have done these type of things too.

Not at my school. At least not in the last 5 years. I'll ask friends at other schools and see if anythings ever happened at their places.

If we've done it too, why aren't we doing it now?

At work today (down in Fort Worth), super frog showed up to promote a tcu reading program to our elementary kids, and sell our students on tcu! I was not happy. He tried to teach the tcu hand sign, or whatever it is they call that thing they do. These people gave away tcu baseball tickets, and t-shirts. Then they talked about the other tcu sports.

I can't blame them for trying to build a fan base, but why aren't we down there?

North Texas is the public university of this region. DFW is our turf too. Lets get Scrapy, some Cheerleaders, and some football and basketball players, with some ties to the schools, down there! We can do this stuff too.

A little PR work now could pay off big in a fews years. Yes or no?

Number one reason why UNT is not noticeable is because Denton does not promote the school! Media follows town officials. Take the Fort Worth Mayor when he introduced TCU day which made news as far away as Austin if not further. Scrapy should go visit the Mayor, or chief of police. Granted winning games builds fan base, but most of the vans watch TV and not the DRC.

We learned in the alumni association that there comes a time to write off those alums of the past and those of departments that tend to never care or support any part of UNT. These are what I term "parasites" who suck what they can get for their own personal gain and never think twice of recognizing the education that got them to where they are today. You start with the freshmen and the applicants from J.C. and H.S. Make them feel that it is cool to bleed Mean Green and that apathy and lack of spirt toward what will be their alma mater one day is for losers. We have a great new marketing person in Cooper Jones whom I just met last week. He saw the University of Louisville go from playing in a dilapidated old minor league baseball park to PAPA John's Stadium. He has been where we have been so has Coach Canales. Let them know that it doesn't pay to not cross the county line. Denton may not appreciate what it has in North Texas, but other more progressive areas see the explosion that can take place in a location and a program like UNT is now posed to offer. Let Cooper know your ideas as he is eager to get rolloing and will be receptive. In our time of sadness over the departure of Dr. Bataille, we can marshall new strength to see the vision that she and Dr. Pohl had for this university does not back slide to a facuily run "little music school and teacher's college" due to some of the politically motivated animals that have supposedly now seized power @ UNT. We have coaches in place, a great A.D., and our time is now. Prees forward as alums and fans despite the city of Denton and the weakness of our Chancellor. Location will always be our ally even if we have to drag Denton along kicking and screaming. WE CAN BE THE METROPLEX PRIVATES WORST NIGHTMARE--a public university in a great location with great facilities--these are things that keep the chancellors, presidents, and A.D.s @ SMU and TCU having nightmares!!!

• Upvote 4

We learned in the alumni association that there comes a time to write off those alums of the past and those of departments that tend to never care or support any part of UNT. These are what I term "parasites" who suck what they can get for their own personal gain and never think twice of recognizing the education that got them to where they are today. You start with the freshmen and the applicants from J.C. and H.S. Make them feel that it is cool to bleed Mean Green and that apathy and lack of spirt toward what will be their alma mater one day is for losers. We have a great new marketing person in Cooper Jones whom I just met last week. He saw the University of Louisville go from playing in a dilapidated old minor league baseball park to PAPA John's Stadium. He has been where we have been so has Coach Canales. Let them know that it doesn't pay to not cross the county line. Denton may not appreciate what it has in North Texas, but other more progressive areas see the explosion that can take place in a location and a program like UNT is now posed to offer. Let Cooper know your ideas as he is eager to get rolloing and will be receptive. In our time of sadness over the departure of Dr. Bataille, we can marshall new strength to see the vision that she and Dr. Pohl had for this university does not back slide to a facuily run "little music school and teacher's college" due to some of the politically motivated animals that have supposedly now seized power @ UNT. We have coaches in place, a great A.D., and our time is now. Prees forward as alums and fans despite the city of Denton and the weakness of our Chancellor. Location will always be our ally even if we have to drag Denton along kicking and screaming. WE CAN BE THE METROPLEX PRIVATES WORST NIGHTMARE--a public university in a great location with great facilities--these are things that keep the chancellors, presidents, and A.D.s @ SMU and TCU having nightmares!!!

Everywhere I have lived I have adopted the local University. Those are the folks we must make an impression on, not the alums who don't care about the rich tradition North Texas has. People want to belong to something special. If UNT can make a true effort to help people feel like they belong they will support regardless of where they went to school or grew up. It's about inclusion, its about social networking and getting the masses involved in growing the Mean Green fandom. We will never have a large atheltic department staff, so passionate alums, casual fans, friends of the U of NT and our athletic department must work tirelessly to spread the Mean Green spirit.

GMG

Everywhere I have lived I have adopted the local University. Those are the folks we must make an impression on, not the alums who don't care about the rich tradition North Texas has. People want to belong to something special. If UNT can make a true effort to help people feel like they belong they will support regardless of where they went to school or grew up. It's about inclusion, its about social networking and getting the masses involved in growing the Mean Green fandom. We will never have a large atheltic department staff, so passionate alums, casual fans, friends of the U of NT and our athletic department must work tirelessly to spread the Mean Green spirit.

GMG

Many transplanted college football fans have moved to the DFW area, away from their own collge team's area. They love watching college games in person, the atmosphere, but now are lost, orphaned. We can attract those disassociated fans and have them adopt UNT as their secondary team. It only takes a little marketing to the 5,000,000 people 30 minutes south of Denton.

Many transplanted college football fans have moved to the DFW area, away from their own collge team's area. They love watching college games in person, the atmosphere, but now are lost, orphaned.

I have to admit I am one of those...

Although I did attend UNT in the 80's (when we were still 1AA) I graduated from UTEP and have been a Miner diehard my entire life win (not that often) or lose (quite often)...

When my wife and I moved to McKinney I was looking for a college team to support and since I had been a student at UNT it seemed natural...

I only get to watch UTEP play in person in DFW once every other year in football and once every year in basketball, so that hardly meets my need for a sports fix...

I have attended about 10 UNT games in the 11 years I have lived here, but with my 9 year old becoming a football maniac this next year I am going to break down and buy season tickets for the both of us and then again for the season to open the new stadium...

I am exactly the kind of person that needs to be chased by the university marketing team...

I don't have a large vested interest in the fortunes of UNT sports, but I have greatly enjoyed the games I've been to, have bought gear for my son and I and have been really made to feel part of something by the fans we have met tailgating, etc...

That being said, any idea when football season tickets go on sale...??

• Upvote 2

I have to admit I am one of those...

I am exactly the kind of person that needs to be chased by the university marketing team...

I don't have a large vested interest in the fortunes of UNT sports, but I have greatly enjoyed the games I've been to, have bought gear for my son and I and have been really made to feel part of something by the fans we have met tailgating, etc...

Your idea of being chased by the marketing team came at the right time. For years, UNT's idea of marketing was to go after regular donors and ask for great amounts of money to support a cause. Now they are trying this new philosophy that a bunch of donors donating a smaller amount of money can be just as effective. Having said this, I believe the marketing team will be doing a lot ensure seats will be filled for the 2010 season, to grandfather those individuals into the new stadium (2011). In order to do that marketing teams must design plans that meet the needs of diehard alumni and diehard college football fans who need a football fix.