Give Vito Credit

dodgefan

Evertime UNT gets a commitment, Vito seems to get it in the DMN. I have yet to see any commits from TCU in the paper,and they are a top 10 program, or SMU which is in Dallas (DMN). Great job Vito! Rivals has TCU with three 4 stars and fifteen 3 stars.

SMU with fifteen 3 stars.

UNT with six 3 stars.

• Downvote 2

Evertime UNT gets a commitment, Vito seems to get it in the DMN. I have yet to see any commits from TCU in the paper,and they are a top 10 program, or SMU which is in Dallas (DMN). Great job Vito! Rivals has TCU with three 4 stars and fifteen 3 stars.

SMU with fifteen 3 stars.

UNT with six 3 stars.

That's about right for a BCS bowl team, an 8 win bowl winner and a 2-10 squad.

• Downvote 1

Mmmm, no. The content is not the problem, but the delivery occasionally is.

How about this then. This upcoming season please point out what is negative about his delivery of reporting news when it happens. I know a lot of folks here like to 'kill the messanger' when it comes to Mr. Vito, but I just don't see what gets under the skin of so many. And yes, I read his work very frequently. Everytime I read his blog or an article from the DRC I have a hard time not agreeing with whatever 'tone' he is expressing in his work. Beat writers don't typically inject that much opinion in their work. Personally I think way too many, especially here, have a very biased view about what they read. Don't mean to ramble here, I just don't get all of the negativity thrown the way of a guy who does very good journalistic work.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

How about this then. This upcoming season please point out what is negative about his delivery of reporting news when it happens. I know a lot of folks here like to 'kill the messanger' when it comes to Mr. Vito, but I just don't see what gets under the skin of so many. And yes, I read his work very frequently. Everytime I read his blog or an article from the DRC I have a hard time not agreeing with whatever 'tone' he is expressing in his work. Beat writers don't typically inject that much opinion in their work. Personally I think way too many, especially here, have a very biased view about what they read. Don't mean to ramble here, I just don't get all of the negativity thrown the way of a guy who does very good journalistic work.

Vito has clearly taken shots at our football program several times, but he seems to go through spells of good reporting then he slips one in on you. I think he has been much better lately, I don't know but I think there must have been a fall out with him and Dodge or RV early on.

• Upvote 1

I have no interest in being your personal journalism critic, but thanks for valuing my opinion so highly. Listen, my post was intended as a compliment. But sometimes--not usually, but sometimes--he grates on me; and it's just his manner of delivery. Paulie Shore may not grate on you, but he grates on me. Brett Vito may not grate on you, but he sometimes grates on me. I couldn't give him the unqualified lovefest many of you want to give him, but I felt I could give him a qualified compliment. He does his job, and generally does a good one--let's just leave it at that.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I read and check on Vito's blog often, he is the best source of a lot of news about UNT sports. I feel like he may very well be the last newspaper guy primarily assigned to NT and I do appreciate his efforts. Having say that I think that there definitely are issues that have developed between the athletic department particularly the football staff and him. I think it is beyond stupid for him to have to stand behind a fence to cover the football program and the endless references to the lack of success of Dodge's tenure in seemingly every column and blog border on fanaticism. It will be interesting to see who lasts the longest at their present position.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I have no interest in being your personal journalism critic, but thanks for valuing my opinion so highly. Listen, my post was intended as a compliment. But sometimes--not usually, but sometimes--he grates on me; and it's just his manner of delivery. Paulie Shore may not grate on you, but he grates on me. Brett Vito may not grate on you, but he sometimes grates on me. I couldn't give him the unqualified knob slob many of you want to give him, but I felt I could give him a qualified compliment. He does his job, and generally does a good one--let's just leave it at that.

I wanna high-five you for working knob slob into your post, but otherwise it kinda grated on me.

• Upvote 1

I read and check on Vito's blog often, he is the best source of a lot of news about UNT sports. I feel like he may very well be the last newspaper guy primarily assigned to NT and I do appreciate his efforts. Having say that I think that there definitely are issues that have developed between the athletic department particularly the football staff and him. I think it is beyond stupid for him to have to stand behind a fence to cover the football program and the endless references to the lack of success of Dodge's tenure in seemingly every column and blog border on fanaticism. It will be interesting to see who lasts the longest at their present position.

The fence thing is ridiculous...but would you rather him lie about Dodge's lack of success during his tenure or just ignore it?!?

I have no problem with the guy or his writing, I really enjoy reading about our little school up north of Dallas in the DMN. Success is part of the game and so is failure, as long as he is equal in his praise you seem to think he is pessimistic of us due to our current failure then the guy is aces in my book.

• Upvote 1