Offensive Coordinator Wishlist

UNT Mean Green

This is a comprehensive wish list for sure, and assuming UNT steps up to pay a legitimate coordinator.

Justin Fuente

Runs a multiple offense, probably 65% out of shotgun. Utilizes TE's, FB's, and a bevy of RB's. Throws the ball downfield, and requires a mobile QB.

Cale Gundy

An outstanding recruiter, and another member of a multiple offensive scheme with spread facets throughout. Has OU ties, and don't know if he'd really leave. Makes $250K.

Jay Norvell

Another assistant at a big time program that has an emphasis on Receivers, and has called plays for big time programs (Nebraska, UCLA) as well as having NFL experience. Makes $240K.

Josh Heupel

A young, enthusiastic coach who has played and coached at big time programs. Good recruiter in this area. Makes $210K.

Joe Wickline

An emphasis on Offensive Line play and the running game. Also, has coached in the Sun Belt and was a former Recruiting Coordinator at MTSU. His next step would be as a Coordinator, and it looks like Gunter Brewer could get plucked as a head coach somewhere this offseason.

Dennis Simmons

Track record with WR's speaks for itself. Makes about $190K.

Eric Russell

Former NT assistant who has been successful along the way. Makes $190K.

Phillip Mongtomery

Highly successful offensive coach who has a spread background, and has spent some time in Denton. Texas ties.

Dino Babers

Has been a very successful offensive coordinator in his day, and has good recruiting ties.

Ed Zaunbrecher

The track record pretty much speaks for itself. An established name, and has called plays for the best of the best (LSU, Florida).

Jason Phillips

Great recruiter (look at UH's success recently), a Texas guy, NFL experience. Makes $145K right now.

Bob Connelly

A metroplex guy, who has coached a large programs and been an influential recruiter. Makes $145K right now.

These are just a few, and I'm sure there's plenty more candidates.

According to USA Today, the most we pay any of our assistants is $105,300. We might be willing to step it up a bit, but I doubt it's going to be what's necessary to pull away one of these guys who is doing well and happy. There are certainly some diamonds out there currently looking for work. What about some of Kragthorpe's staff? Along a similiar line, what about Charlie Stubbs?

For the serious thread... If this turns out to be the deal and we have to sweeten this piss into lemonade, I'd want Chris Thomsen, HC at Abilene Christian.

I still can't believe or don't want to believe that this is the best option for my school, but I would be much more excited about next season with this pick.

Well I will bite again and add my name from the other thread.

Major Applewhite:

Coaching Assignments

2008-present: Texas (Assistant Head Coach/Running backs)

2007: Alabama (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)

2006: Rice (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)

2005: Syracuse (Quarterbacks)

2003-04: Texas (Graduate Assistant)

Definately knows and is known in Texas.

He does already make 250K, so I guess that isn't likely.

I think he is their "OC" in waiting at Texas. I think he will have Greg Davis' job.

For the serious thread... If this turns out to be the deal and we have to sweeten this piss into lemonade, I'd want Chris Thomsen, HC at Abilene Christian.

I really don't think he wants to leave ACU. It's his alma mater, he's winning, he's the head coach . . . I don't see we could offer him to make him want to leave.

Except buckets full of cash.

I really don't think he wants to leave ACU. It's his alma mater, he's winning, he's the head coach . . . I don't see we could offer him to make him want to leave.

Except buckets full of cash.

He interviewed for a 1-AA HC job and got passed over last year, when his stock was even higher than it is today. If I hadn't seen him pursue that one, I wouldn't think he'd consider it, either.

Someone that wants to work for a guy that allows blame to be placed on you to keep his own job.

Someone who is comfortable working in an environment where EVERY assistant coach has been fired in the last 3 years.

Someone, basically, who needs a paycheck.

You've just described what I suspect is a significant majority of assistant coaches nationwide. They don't get publicly blamed, but they get fired all the time. And they all need a paycheck. Except for those at the top BCS contenders, assistants in general don't make ginormous money.

You've just described what I suspect is a significant majority of assistant coaches nationwide. They don't get publicly blamed, but they get fired all the time. And they all need a paycheck. Except for those at the top BCS contenders, assistants in general don't make ginormous money.

Well, then you better hire one that already lives here, because with the lack of Asst coach job security on top of the lack of head coach job security, I doubt anyone is willing to sell their house and move their family to a place where there is a better than 50% chance that you won't be around next year.

Come to think of it, I don't want to hire anyone that is that stupid.

This scenerio really makes very little sense. I think Dodge is either back with full staff or is gone.

Well, then you better hire one that already lives here, because with the lack of Asst coach job security on top of the lack of head coach job security, I doubt anyone is willing to sell their house and move their family to a place where there is a better than 50% chance that you won't be around next year.

Come to think of it, I don't want to hire anyone that is that stupid.

This scenerio really makes very little sense. I think Dodge is either back with full staff or is gone.

Though it is speculation on my part, if Dodge stays, I say 4 to 5 wins next year and he keeps his job. There is no way RV can expect any coach to take this team to 7 wins next year. So, though there will probably be a minimum # of wins, if it 5 and there is improvement, Dodge will coach the first UNT game in the new stadium. I can't see RV demanding more wins than that. Not saying I agree or disagree, just saying.

Though it is speculation on my part, if Dodge stays, I say 4 to 5 wins next year and he keeps his job. There is no way RV can expect any coach to take this team to 7 wins next year. So, though there will probably be a minimum # of wins, if it 5 and there is improvement, Dodge will coach the first UNT game in the new stadium. I can't see RV demanding more wins than that. Not saying I agree or disagree, just saying.

I don't see how RV can expect less wins then 7 wins, Dodge either turns the corner or not, 5 is not a turn in year 4, this is his team and the three years have been his chance to get the team ready. Basically what you are saying is that Dodge you have built a crappy team and we can't really expect you to surprise us now. So in essence Dodge lowered his own bar, and RV is going to reward him for minimum improvement.

Edited by KingDL1

I don't see how RV can expect less wins then 7 wins, Dodge either turns the corner or not, 5 is not a turn in year 4, this is his team and the three years have been his chance to get the team ready. Basically what you are saying is that Dodge you have built a crappy team and we can't really expect you to surprise us now. So in essence Dodge lowered his own bar, and RV is going to reward him for minimum improvement.

King, he is rewarding him if he gives him an extension. But how can you realistically put a 7 win ultimatum with this team? He gets 5 wins in a season which is 2 more than in three years. It just does not fit unless the players do a complete 360 and we have some recruits or JUCO come in with immediate impact. I just do not believe "Hoosiers" or "Remember the Titans" is going to happen next year. I respect where you are coming from, but as the team stands now, 5 wins would be a significant improvement.

King, he is rewarding him if he gives him an extension. But how can you realistically put a 7 win ultimatum with this team? He gets 5 wins in a season which is 2 more than in three years. It just does not fit unless the players do a complete 360 and we have some recruits or JUCO come in with immediate impact. I just do not believe "Hoosiers" or "Remember the Titans" is going to happen next year. I respect where you are coming from, but as the team stands now, 5 wins would be a significant improvement.

Weren't some people claiming a 6 win ultimatum before this season?

I'm thinking "Remember the Titans" might be played out. Maybe "Radio" might work?

I am fine with 7 wins, and I do think it is fair only because it is his fourth year and by year four I expect and I think everyone connected to this program should expect a winning season. If he can't pull it off then screw it he's done move on. And honesty I think we could have been 7 and 5 this year if Dodge knew how to practice a Division 1 team.

Yup, if Dodge is back I am sticking with 7 gets you 5. Anything less is ridiculous and unsatisfactory. Then it is new coach time for sure.

I think I might even start designing my signs.

Weren't some people claiming a 6 win ultimatum before this season?

I'm thinking "Remember the Titans" might be played out. Maybe "Radio" might work?

I want the record to note that, inspired by this post, I made an RV as Radio photoshop.

After my girlfriend said it was inappropriate to change Rick's skin tone for the purposes of comedy art, I reluctantly agreed not to post it anywhere.

But it was AWESOME. And, also for the record- Rick Villarreal looks pretty badass as a black man. If it were possible to change your race... I would strongly encourage him to consider it.

Anyway... For anyone who thinks that there's no filter or boundary... You're wrong. As long as someone with a better sense of social propriety is looking over my shoulder, I can censor myself.