Jackson State (11/24/09)

CMJ

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackson State has one player averaging double figures, guard Garrison Johnson at 21ppg...Johnson is a 6'5", 190 wing who dropped 29 on Alabama last week. Johnson looks like an idea match-up for Shorter, Thomas and Mangrum to rotate a lock down.

Forward Grant Maxey (6'7" 210) led Jackson State in scoring last season at 16.4ppg...he scored 11 against Memphis their first game, then appears to have been injured in the second game against Alabama, having played only 3 minutes, then not playing in the subsequent game. If anyone has any info on Maxey, let the board know.

Wing Tyrone Hanson (6'7" 200) is just shy of double figures at 9.7ppg...but is coming off of a 20 point performance in a loss at SFA.

Nobody else is averaging more than 6ppg...but that is partially a product of JSU playing 15 players against Memphis, and 14 against Alabama. JSU did cut that rotation down to 8 against SFA and had 3 players finish in double figures.

Forward Grant Maxey (6'7" 210) led Jackson State in scoring last season at 16.4ppg...he scored 11 against Memphis their first game, then appears to have been injured in the second game against Alabama, having played only 3 minutes, then not playing in the subsequent game. If anyone has any info on Maxey, let the board know.

Maxey is a stud. He's a 4 year starter and the preseason SWAC player. JSU website just says he only played 3 min vs Bama , but didn't say why and the game vs SFA there was no mention at all.

This will be a very tight game , even more so if he plays

Edited by NT03

Hope we get to see more of Mangrum and Spencer before we get to the Aggie/Owl games. I love Holmen's upside, but he is a just turned 18 year old Freshman and I would like to see what Spencer can do defensively with some of Holmen's minutes. I'm afraid that we may be missing Hogan's athleticism and experience a little more than anticipated this year. On the other hand, Jackson State may not be the game for testing Spencer if it's going to be a run and gun affair.

It seems that JJ's substitution patterns are going to be especially crucial this year with the depth and variety on this team. When and how to rotate the 5'9"ish guards vs. when and how to rotate the 6'5"ish guards will probably be a big factor in our success this year. Probably going to take a little time to figure out.

Hope we get to see more of Mangrum and Spencer before we get to the Aggie/Owl games. I love Holmen's upside, but he is a just turned 18 year old Freshman and I would like to see what Spencer can do defensively with some of Holmen's minutes. I'm afraid that we may be missing Hogan's athleticism and experience a little more than anticipated this year. On the other hand, Jackson State may not be the game for testing Spencer if it's going to be a run and gun affair.

It seems that JJ's substitution patterns are going to be especially crucial this year with the depth and variety on this team. When and how to rotate the 5'9"ish guards vs. when and how to rotate the 6'5"ish guards will probably be a big factor in our success this year. Probably going to take a little time to figure out.

I am curious too about Spencer. He is a big body under the net. However, he looks very slow so far in the extremely limited minutes he has played. I don't know if its he is just him substituting mid-game and not up to game speed or something to be concerned about. Hopefully he pans out.

Edited by chrisfisher

I think that works for pretty much every game, but yes, convincing and low TO.

Ok. I didn't mean to be Mr. Obvious. I shoulda added that I hoped to see this against this level of competition. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever see any JJ team with less than 15 TOs in a game. Just the style of play, I guess.