Jackson State (11/24/09)

CMJ

Crowd was maybe disappointing but it appear close to the actual number of fans without the usual over count.

The team is exactly were most would have projected at 3-1, still I have been disappointed with the early play. I was hoping this team would be something special and break out of the mode of the last few years, were they mostly beat the powder puffs scheduled and lose to the name schools and play .500 ball in conference until the last third of the schedule when they have been able to bring it together. First, the team struggled some with Cameron, a team that is usually no competition. Then they have to go to double overtime against a very mediocre UTA team. Although any kind of victory over UTA is good; their guards got to the basket at will and if they had any kind of interior game it probably would have not even been close. NT did not get completely blown out by OSU, but I did not feel that NT played particular well. In the last game against Jackson State they did only what was necessary to win and despite several double digit leads, they could not salt the game away.

I think JJ is struggling a little with the lineup. This team is ultra deep, and trying to sort out the various player combinations is going to take time. I think White is trying to settle into the pg role, but anyone that saw the UTA game would not question his ability or heart. I disagree with several who have posted about his poor shot selection. For someone that can put up the numbers that White can, he takes very few shots. I didn't see bad shot selection in ether the OSU or Jackson State Game, those are the type of shots he routinely makes when he is on top of his game. Odufuwu has as noted improved his game more than any of the return starters. He is not taking and missing most of the outside shots that he threw up last year. Tremial has had somewhat of a slow start but it looks like he is getting back to par. Thompson looks like he is trying harder on the defensive end but has not found his shoot yet. He may be feeling the pressure of so many other good shooting guards, but it seems that he is always challenged before solidifying his position on the team.

Holman is the first big off the bench and appears to have greater potential. I would like to see Knox play, I believe based on what little I have seen of him that he may have a lot more potential than Spencer. Shorter, Mangrum and Thomas have all had flashes at shooting guard. I think any one of them could develop into a real asset but it is going to be difficult with the three plus Johnson sharing minutes. I think JJ may be better off playing 7 or 8 the majority of minutes and developing a better game rhythm, however rolling out 10 or 11 players should tire out a lot of NT's competition.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic