Barbershop Podcast #61

Evan

I do think its interesting when people compare a UNT Stadium to TCU, we have nearly 4 times the enrollment, and probably 5 times the Alumni base in the DFW area. We are building a Stadium that is smaller then our enrollment and TCU has a stadium that sits 44,008 over 5 times their enrollment. WOW

I do think its interesting when people compare a UNT Stadium to TCU, we have nearly 4 times the enrollment, and probably 5 times the Alumni base in the DFW area. We are building a Stadium that is smaller then our enrollment and TCU has a stadium that sits 44,008 over 5 times their enrollment. WOW

their average attendance has remained steady at 35,000 while ours is stuck on 15,000. however, they are the only game in a much larger town than denton. winning cures a lot of ailments.

their average attendance has remained steady at 35,000 while ours is stuck on 15,000. however, they are the only game in a much larger town than denton. winning cures a lot of ailments.

You are right winning and nationally recognized opponent names will cure lots of problems. You don't have to sell out a stadium, but a new stadium is built for the future not the past. If we start winning things can change fast. I don't think a new stadium fixes much in regards to recruiting or winning.

But hey we are North Texas we like to think small.

You are right winning and nationally recognized opponent names will cure lots of problems. You don't have to sell out a stadium, but a new stadium is built for the future not the past. If we start winning things can change fast. I don't think a new stadium fixes much in regards to recruiting or winning.

But hey we are North Texas we like to think small.

But the only thing we have to go on is the past. There is a lot of past to suggest that we don't need a larger stadium. Besides, all major schools have added on to their stadiums because they didn't build big enough. We are building to fit our need, and once the need is greater, we can add on. I am just happy to get a new stadium, we can worry about how many can fit inside when that becomes an actual problem.

I understand what you are saying, but pure enrollment doesn't equal game attendance.......FIU has an enrollment of over 50,000 and they have plans to eventually seat only 45,000, and thats still about 4 years away. Notre Dame has an enrollment just north of 10,000, and they seat 80,000.....alright I know that's silly, but I'd rather just see a consistently full 30,000 seat stadium, and have the school working on future expansion, then a 40,000 seat stadium that always has lot's of seats with no butts in them....

I understand what you are saying, but pure enrollment doesn't equal game attendance.......FIU has an enrollment of over 50,000 and they have plans to eventually seat only 45,000, and thats still about 4 years away. Notre Dame has an enrollment just north of 10,000, and they seat 80,000.....alright I know that's silly, but I'd rather just see a consistently full 30,000 seat stadium, and have the school working on future expansion, then a 40,000 seat stadium that always has lot's of seats with no butts in them....

I think that depends on the commitment to our Football program, I believe we do have one from the administration now. With 45,000 being out cap enrollment building for the Future is more cost efficient and the end zones or end zone could be covered until needed. 28,000 in a 40,000 seat stadium will look good, with the ability to sell out when we are winning and teams like Navy, SMU, etc... play us at home. Maybe I am just an optimist but I think if we start winning and we play better recognized opponents we will fill a 40,000 seat stadium. I was blown away by the attendance at Ohio on a miserable rainy day. How old is FIU's Football program what 7 years old period? Not a good comparison for me.

Edited by KingDL1

But the only thing we have to go on is the past. There is a lot of past to suggest that we don't need a larger stadium. Besides, all major schools have added on to their stadiums because they didn't build big enough. We are building to fit our need, and once the need is greater, we can add on. I am just happy to get a new stadium, we can worry about how many can fit inside when that becomes an actual problem.

Most every school built to cover their enrollment at least and usually multiples of their enrollment, FIU built their stadium before they even had a football program by 7 years. Not sure what they were building for at the time.

If UNT plans to be status quo then I would agree with you but our enrollment continues to increase and Denton is getting bigger. The old nester philosophy seems still heavily embedded. Maybe I am wrong but I feel the administration plans to make sure we are a winning program in the log run. I was really hoping we would move on from small minded picture, yet people tend to defend to the death. Even Fouts was built much larger then the current enrollment at the time, heck even the people in Austin questioned the scale we are building at now.

Edited by KingDL1