We've got a thread about music, lets start one about movies. What are some of your favorite scenes?

Heat: Coffee Shop Scene - Pure greatness with 2 of the all time greatest actors, DeNiro and Pacino. If you havent seen it, DeNiro is a career bank robber and Pacino is the LA Dectective out to take him down. In this scene, the two sit down for coffee and have a dialogue that, while subtle, will blow your mind. The two begin conversing and realize that neither have a glorius life and that they are, in fact, more alike that anyone could ever realize. Their characters also develop a deep respect for each other that plays out in the final scene.

Heat: Downtown Shootout - Deniro and his gang pull off a daring midday heist going for that big score. The robbery erupts into a shootout with NO warning. There is no sound ecxept for the gunfire and the echo of the firefight. No Music adds to the surrealness and reality of the scene. A couple of real life scumbags try to recreate the scene after a bank robbery a few years later. As a result of the real life episode, now many departments allow officers to carry patrol rifles.

The Bourne Identity: Each Bourne moive has a great chase, but the first one is the best. A Mini Cooper outrunning everyone.

Bullit: The Chase - The standard in car chases. 2 classic muscle cars going at it on the streets of San Fran

Black Hawk Down: Snipers - When the two snipers set up at the crash site to defend the wonded pilot, knowing they would not survive still jerks tears from me.

Black Hawk Down: The run to the Stadium - A few rangers have to run a mile while having to fend off the last pockets of resistance, with almost no ammo.

Enemy at the Gates: Final Battle - You expect a big final battle bwtween the two snipers, but its actually very anti climactic, and very strong.

The Negotiator: The scene after Danny "killed" one of the hostages. Roman and Sabian square off in intence face to face dialogue.

Spaceballs: The A**Hole scene. Can you really put this one into words??

Thoughts, additions?

Gladiator: The opening Battle Sequence where Maximus announces "unleash Hell"

Saving Private Ryan: Opening D-Day landing is graphic and amazing to see and start out the movie

Glory: The storming of Ft Sumter after M. Broderick/D. Washington are killed is crazy and the cannon being fired to end the sequence.

Field of Dreams: Kevin Costner abducting James Earl Jones with a finger

Life Aquatic - Submarine scene...the ideal example of Wes Anderson's ability to play voodoo doll with your various emotions.

Darjeeling Limited - the flashback to getting the porsche out of the shop

Rushmore - Max and Herman's fued montage.

Big Lebowski - any of the dream/trip sequences, but mainly the one with Kenny Rogers background music.

Lost in Translation - for the romantic in me: Bob and Charolette's first bar inter-action and the use of a sleep/love parallel through out. for the humorist in me: when Bob is on the elevator, 6 inches taller than every Japanese man.

Duck Soup - Trial scene

Scotland, PA - Mac leaving the bar after Banko has told him about their thieving manager and the Ferris Wheel lighting up right as the chorus to Bad Company's Bad Company kicks in.

One of my favorite Lebowski scenes is the Maude introduction: strapped to a sling suspended from the ceiling, she is flying naked towards the canvas flinging the paint everywhere.

Vagina.

Oh yeah?

Yes, they don't like hearing it and find it difficult to say. Whereas without batting an eye a man will refer to his "dick" or his "rod" or his "Johnson".

Johnson?

I also love any of the scenes with extended dialogue involving Walter.

Gladiator: The opening Battle Sequence where Maximus announces "unleash Hell"

Saving Private Ryan: Opening D-Day landing is graphic and amazing to see and start out the movie

Glory: The storming of Ft Sumter after M. Broderick/D. Washington are killed is crazy and the cannon being fired to end the sequence.

Field of Dreams: Kevin Costner abducting James Earl Jones with a finger

Yeah, Gladiator was great. The best thing about the D-Day scene is that it really gives the rest of us a "taste" of how real and horrific it was. Hanks and Speilburg screened it to a bunch of DDay vets to ensure accuracy, many had to get up and walk out because it was so real that it brought back too many memories. Im not on the side that more money always makes it better, but if you are going to spend the money, get it right, which they did. In Glory, I like how Andre Braugher (Thomas) bayontted the Confederate soldier using the same technique that the Irish drill instructor used on him during training. I know that Washington and Freeman are greatness (not to mention class acts all the way), but Broderick and Elwes are vastly underrated actors.

How about the scene in Lebowski when he comes home and the nihlists pea on his rug and dunk his head in the toilet. His response, "Hey, at least Im housebroken."

Apocalypse Now when Robert Duvall and the Choppers hitting the beach while Ride of the Valkyries is playing over the loudspeakers...

The car chase scene in the Streets of San Francisco in Steve McQueen's Bullitt

One of my favorites Dirty Harry classic Scene - "I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' To tell the truth, in all the excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?"

GoodFellas, Funny Guy scene with Joe Pesci.

The end of Scarface when Tony pulls out the big guns.

"Luke, i am your father"

Indy, pulls out the revolver to shoot the Swordsman.

Officer and Gentleman when Gere goes to get his girlfriend at the factory in the end.

Gladiator when Maximus takes off his helmet and proclaims who he is to the crowd.

Too many great scenes to come up with my favorites, because I'd no doubt forget a bajillion.

I'll throw out these...

In Citizen Kane the breakfast table sequence where we see about 20 years of a marriage in about two minutes. Truly brilliant how Welles is able to show a union disintegrating like that.

Also a favorite, in Amadeus, the way Mozart effortlessly riffs on Salieri's march, turning a rather stodgy little piece into a whimsical one at the drop of a hat. F.Murray Abraham's silent rage is a masterclass in acting.

In The Right Stuff John Glenn's mssion aboard the Atlas rocket. Holst's The Planets has rarely been more effectively used than that. Truly epic.

And how the hell didn't anyone mention in The Empire Strikes back --- "No, I am your father" - a truly gripping sequence from the lightsabre fight, to the hand being taken off, to Vader's revelation to his son. Shakeaspearian stuff.

I see Harry got the ESB sequence as I was typing it. :lol:

Edited by CMJ

Man on Fire: any and all revenge scenes.

And while I am on it, two of my favorite movie lines:

1." Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

1a. "If murder is an art, John Creasy is about to paint his masterpiece."

I will watch that movie any time it is on.

I'll add a few in no particular order:

Blowing up the Death Star in Star Wars.

"Bi%^$#s Leave" scene in Robocop.

"Wait till they get a load of me" scence from Tim Burton's Batman

Deflating auto pilot in Airplane

Pete Venkman and Walter Peck argument in the Mayor of New Yorks office from Ghostbusters

Anton Chigurh and the old man at the convenience store coin filp scene in No County for Old Men

Beetlejuice's World's Leading Bio-Exorsist comercial

Batman interrogates the Joker - The Dark Knight

I'll add a few in no particular order:

Blowing up the Death Star in Star Wars.

"Bi%^$#s Leave" scene in Robocop.

"Wait till they get a load of me" scence from Tim Burton's Batman

Deflating auto pilot in Airplane

Pete Venkman and Walter Peck argument in the Mayor of New Yorks office from Ghostbusters

Anton Chigurh and the old man at the convenience store coin filp scene in No County for Old Men

Beetlejuice's World's Leading Bio-Exorsist comercial

Batman interrogates the Joker - The Dark Knight

This, along with your cuddliness, is why I love you.

Hard to remember after seeing thousands of movies, but here's what I can think of off the top of my head.

The Matrix Dojo fight between Neo and Morpheus, "You think that's air you're breathing?"

Full Metal Jacket Pyle's breakdown in the bathroom.

Snatch Bullet tooth Tony's monologue @ Vincent, Sol, and Tyrone

Back to the Future First time Marty sees the Delorean travel through time (fire tracks below him and Dr. Brown)

Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle Seeing Doogie Howser speeding down the road with strippers. :lol:

The Bourne Identity Beating up the cops in the park.

Clerks The whole dicks conversation, lol.

Pulp Fiction The Gold Watch.

Shaun of the Dead Fighting zombies with unwanted records.