Thoughts On The Cookout

emmitt01

Turnout- Not as many as I would have expected or hoped for. We were fighting mother nature and a fan base that has seen some lean times lately so perhaps my ambitions were a bit misplaced. C

Setup- A storm had just blown through and there were inflatables standing and ready when people arrived along with a stage and tables and chairs. Kudos to the people in the AD. The food was good, the drinks were plentiful, and it was easy to find and pickup your tickets and MGC loot.

A

Dancers- A legacy that never dies.

A+

Football players and coaches- The only member of the coaching staff that I saw there was Todge. The others may have been there but I really enjoyed the way it was done a couple of years ago when the whole staff was brought up there for everyone to see and meet. Todge soundly genuine to me when he talked about how much it hurt him and these players to lose and how competitive they all are. I fully expect to see a lot more fight out of this team this season if nothing else. As for the players, I was HIGHLY impressed with the development of our QB Rodge. Standing next to him he looked every bit as tall as I am, if not an inch taller, and he looked to be in the 185-200 range. (Not as heavy as me but he works out daily :D ) Tevin Cantly looked like a big kid and Craig Robertson looked like a beast. Speaking of big, the JUCO recruit Kelvin Jackson is a guy I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. Todge said he was the strongest guy on the team and I can believe it.

A

RV- He said and did exactly what I wanted from him. He said, in no uncertain terms, that we are no longer "talking" about a stadium we are doing it. He invited anyone with questions inside to see the diagrams and to ask him whatever they wanted to know. Most impressive to me was that he pointed out the orange markers that are on the golf course site that mark the dimensions of the stadium. As far as captains of this ship go he had me believing we'd see smooth sailing.

A

Look, before Kram or any of his minions get on here talking about how I'm a big ol' optimist now or throw out proclomations of "GOOD THINGS" understand that I, and I think I speak for many of those who are like minded, have never been a non-believer. I've always believed in what this program and what this university are capable of. It was just refreshing to me to see evidence that perhaps those in positions to do something about it are taking up their oars so that we can all row together. I know I'm on board.

Edited by emmitt01

Tevin Cantly looked like a big kid and Craig Robertson looked like a beast.

Cantly was the most impressive beef I've seen in person since... (choose your own adventure joke time!)

Seriously, that was a fun morning and a well-run event. Impressed how the AD handled the storm issue without a real hitch for the folks running. That was a beast of a course with the mud - especially the sliding hill of death into the finish line.

It was also nice to meet a few of you and successfully avoid Kram again (sorry about that, good sir).

Cantly was the most impressive beef I've seen in person since... (choose your own adventure joke time!)

Seriously, that was a fun morning and a well-run event. Impressed how the AD handled the storm issue without a real hitch for the folks running. That was a beast of a course with the mud - especially the sliding hill of death into the finish line.

It was also nice to meet a few of you and successfully avoid Kram again (sorry about that, good sir).

The manager where I work has a son who was one of Cantly's teammates at Arlington Lamar, and says that Cantly is the most impressive player he's seen come out of Lamar, and is a "stud". a "hoss". Honestly, Cantly's first year with actual playing time is something I've been looking forward to for a while. I can't wait to remind our manager that he'll be able to see Cantly play on TV September 3.

Sorry I missed you, I kind of felt lost out there, even though I had been to the cook out before.. our normal tailgate crew was not on hand and I know very few people there. The Greek wasn't there to lead. (I am a quiet guy, except at the games.) I actually met KRAM for the first time, he told me he was looking for you.

So did you actually do the run? I wanted to. Was it organized well?

Also I agree with Emmitt, I feel better about Rodge.. He looks like he's been hitting the weight room, and possibly using the Chinese torture machine.

Edited by filmerj

Turnout- Not as many as I would have expected or hoped for. We were fighting mother nature and a fan base that has seen some lean times lately so perhaps my ambitions were a bit misplaced. C

Setup- A storm had just blown through and there were inflatables standing and ready when people arrived along with a stage and tables and chairs. Kudos to the people in the AD. The food was good, the drinks were plentiful, and it was easy to find and pickup your tickets and MGC loot.

A

Dancers- A legacy that never dies.

A+

Football players and coaches- The only member of the coaching staff that I saw there was Todge. The others may have been there but I really enjoyed the way it was done a couple of years ago when the whole staff was brought up there for everyone to see and meet. Todge soundly genuine to me when he talked about how much it hurt him and these players to lose and how competitive they all are. I fully expect to see a lot more fight out of this team this season if nothing else. As for the players, I was HIGHLY impressed with the development of our QB Rodge. Standing next to him he looked every bit as tall as I am, if not an inch taller, and he looked to be in the 185-200 range. (Not as heavy as me but he works out daily :D ) Tevin Cantly looked like a big kid and Craig Robertson looked like a beast. Speaking of big, the JUCO recruit Kelvin Jackson is a guy I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. Todge said he was the strongest guy on the team and I can believe it.

A

RV- He said and did exactly what I wanted from him. He said, in no uncertain terms, that we are no longer "talking" about a stadium we are doing it. He invited anyone with questions inside to see the diagrams and to ask him whatever they wanted to know. Most impressive to me was that he pointed out the orange markers that are on the golf course site that mark the dimensions of the stadium. As far as captains of this ship go he had me believing we'd see smooth sailing.

A

Look, before Kram or any of his minions get on here talking about how I'm a big ol' optimist now or throw out proclomations of "GOOD THINGS" understand that I, and I think I speak for many of those who are like minded, have never been a non-believer. I've always believed in what this program and what this university are capable of. It was just refreshing to me to see evidence that perhaps those in positions to do something about it are taking up their oars so that we can all row together. I know I'm on board.

Agree with most everything posted. Riley has definitely put on 10lbs of weight/muscle

The coaching staff was all there for the most part. Deloach and Nelson were off to the side behind the bounce house FWIW

Sorry I missed you, I kind of felt lost out there, even though I had been to the cook out before.. our normal tailgate crew was not on hand and I know very few people there. The Greek wasn't there to lead. (I am a quiet guy, except at the games.) I actually met KRAM for the first time, he told me he was looking for you.

So did you actually do the run? I wanted to. Was it organized well?

Also I agree with Emmitt, I feel better about Rodge.. He looks like he's been hitting the weight room, and possibly using the Chinese torture machine.

I saw you arriving and was trying to make my way towards you, but had a couple of things in the afternoon in both Flower Mound and Murphy I had to get to in the early afternoon that had me leaving in a hurry after I checked my watch. I didn't even get to say adios to the few folks I had already seen, so sorry if I angered anyone by withholding my awesomeness.

As for the run, I thought it was well done. They had to keep pushing it back because of lightning (I think you have to have 30 minutes without a strike to be allowed to run), so that lead to a few starts and stops beyond their control. Still, considering the toll bridge one got canceled, it was cool we still go to do it. I had heard 400 folks had signed up before the weather, but the herd was thinned out a bit. Hank MCed the start line and they had Boomer on hand (and managed to get him firing in the rain -- which is not easy.) Muddy course with some fun sliding moments and tough hills - but it was good. The finish took you down a steep hill that nearly wiped me out and then you got to burst through the helmet and pretend you weren't some uncoordinated jackass. I highly recommend it if you like North Texas and can even tolerate running.

Correct...the coaches were there and were available to speak with members of the Mean Green Nation as were several parents of current Mean Green players. Come on, Emmitt, can't I say something about you being positive for the first time this century???? Pretty please, may I???? :lol:

I agree with the grades Emmitt gave to the event...my overall grade is a B+ ... would definitely have been a "A" if the turnout had been better...but the crowd, while small, was definitely upbeat and very happy to have football "around the corner". Great getting to meet some more GMG.com members during my clandestine Tank Army T-Shirt sales. In face, sales were pretty good, and I was able to sell a few to folks who were not on the board or who had not as yet pre-ordered. Pretty neat, but, man, it made me walk to the car more often than I would have liked and, if you were there, you know where the parking was and where the event was...BUT, anything to help raise scholarship dollars for UNT students...many many thanks to all who have purchased or have committed to purchase the shirts.

COME ON FOOTBALL...that's Mean Green football, by the way!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Guest JohnDenver

They've been listing Riley at 6'0", and I'd say that's about right.

The 5K was fun. They did a great job organizing it, I thought. I'll do it again next year for sure.

Definitely some slick mud in spots.

Maybe next year do a mud run.. People love those.

Maybe next year do a mud run.. People love those.

Next year there will be a big construction site where the run was held this year...think about how great that will look!!!!! They will have to find another course for the run, but "rumor" has it that there will definitely be a "2nd Annual" run.

And that, Mean Green fans, is a GOOD THING!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Correct...the coaches were there and were available to speak with members of the Mean Green Nation as were several parents of current Mean Green players. Come on, Emmitt, can't I say something about you being positive for the first time this century???? Pretty please, may I???? :lol:

I agree with the grades Emmitt gave to the event...my overall grade is a B+ ... would definitely have been a "A" if the turnout had been better...but the crowd, while small, was definitely upbeat and very happy to have football "around the corner". Great getting to meet some more GMG.com members during my clandestine Tank Army T-Shirt sales. In face, sales were pretty good, and I was able to sell a few to folks who were not on the board or who had not as yet pre-ordered. Pretty neat, but, man, it made me walk to the car more often than I would have liked and, if you were there, you know where the parking was and where the event was...BUT, anything to help raise scholarship dollars for UNT students...many many thanks to all who have purchased or have committed to purchase the shirts.

COME ON FOOTBALL...that's Mean Green football, by the way!

GO MEAN GREEN!

How many people showed up? How many were expected?