Confirmed Cbi Invistations

UNTflyer

Troy was willing to shell out 60K for a home game in the 1st round. I wonder why the CBI wouldn't work with UALR for a road game if they didn't wanna host, but it is what it is.

We may never know if we got an invite or not, but the fact that Troy is willing to shell out 60k is not a shocker to me. Troy does what it needs to do to improve.

Just asking, but why would UNT want to play in this tournament? Seems to me that it might be better to simply start getting ready for next season...unless, this is a big recruiting plumb for prospective recruits, etc. I can't see that being the case, but why play in this tournament? Just wondering...some of you folks are much more into this sort of thing than I am. Just can't see much of an upside to playing.

From Roanoke Times:

Of the five ACC men's basketball programs that were available for the College Basketball Invitational, only Virginia decided to take a plunge that ultimately could cost the Cavaliers more than $150,000.

"We knew that going in," executive associate athletic director Jon Oliver said. "We spent a lot of time talking about that aspect of it, but, at the end of the day, it was not a financial decision.

"We wanted our kids to keep playing. That's what it came down to. It's pretty hard to say 'no' to that."

Complete story

From Roanoke Times:

Of the five ACC men's basketball programs that were available for the College Basketball Invitational, only Virginia decided to take a plunge that ultimately could cost the Cavaliers more than $150,000.

"We knew that going in," executive associate athletic director Jon Oliver said. "We spent a lot of time talking about that aspect of it, but, at the end of the day, it was not a financial decision.

"We wanted our kids to keep playing. That's what it came down to. It's pretty hard to say 'no' to that."

Complete story

They obviously have more money around than they know what to do with..."we wanted the kids to keep playing" is weak at beast, but, if you have the cash go for it. Unfortunatley, UNT does not seem to be in that position. And, i would think that "any extra cash sitting around" would be needede for the new football stadium, not sending our men's BB team to a third rate (at best) tournament that gets ZIPPO in real exposure on the national scene. Anyway...I am really happy for Virginia to be in such a posituion and truly hope UNT can be there one of these days in the near future. If and when UNT gets to that point..."PLAY ON...PLAY ON"!

Of course, UVa has a great deal of money for both academics and athletics. I recall reading somewhere that they had the second largest budget for athletics in the country, only after Oklahoma. My niece is a sophomore there (they do not call them, sophomores...instead they are called second year!) and she said much of the money was spent on non-revenue sports like fencing, lacrosse, crew, etc. Most students do not seem to mind as academics come first.

As an aside, growing up in Virginia, I remember only men could attend UVa and had to wear ties to class. Even today, when you attend a game, you will see a great many students dressed up!

I'm not that hurt we didn't get in the CBI because of the expense involved. The CIT is less expensive, more TV coverage this year, and most of the schools in that are not exactly wealthy either. The fact that we just made the NCAA two years ago makes it alot more understandable that we chose not to go. If we had not just been, I would be as ticked as the UALR fans are(try reading their board...they are really angry).

Just asking, but why would UNT want to play in this tournament? Seems to me that it might be better to simply start getting ready for next season...unless, this is a big recruiting plumb for prospective recruits, etc. I can't see that being the case, but why play in this tournament? Just wondering...some of you folks are much more into this sort of thing than I am. Just can't see much of an upside to playing.

I guess I liken it to the Bowls, regardless of how cheap the bowls are. We wouldn't turn down a bowl game no matter how small it was. This would give the team more time to play together and practice together, and that is not bad.