Bataille Imposes New Requirement For P C

DallasGreen

I still intend to give the $1000 to the MGC. It's just in the past that got me into the President's Council.

McKee

Bingo!! Same here. I hope others do the same and let it be known that they are going to a higher level in MGC with their "Discretionary" dollars now that Dr. B feels she knows better where she should apply your hard earned$$$

Does anyone know if there is precedence for this sort of move at other universities? We always complain about UNT being so small-time in thought and planning, but I wonder if we still groan when things change despite bitching about wanting change. If that makes sense.

If not, blame the Maker's Mark.

This was instituted by Dr. Hurley more than 20 years ago, but he only asked that half of the P. C. donation be designated to his discretionary fund. When Dr. Pohl's administration began he stated all donations were appreciated, would count toward P.C. in full, and that the donor's wishes would be honored. It has been that way since until now. This is not new only much more controlling than it ever was before. P. C. under Dr. Pohl was an institution showing graditude to major donors, and its program showcased NT's brightest students and most successful supporters. Now just a social event that costs double the price of admission to such as the Ft. Worth Zoo and King Tut, this is further evidence that the meaning intended by Dr. Pohl has been totally lost. As a side note I have heard that Dr. Pohl presently suffers from pancreatic cancer. May all our thoughts and prayers go out to he and his family--a truly great man and far and away the best President this university has ever known.

So, let me get this straight....say you give $10,000 to various departments at UNT. That donation (since it's above $1,000) used to also get you into the "President's Council." The new requirement is that you explicitly direct $1,000 to membership in the President's council and your donations to the department of your choice are effectively cut from $10k to $9k. At no point will the university step in and just take $1k off the top of any donation to force you to join the President's Council? So your $10k donation stays at an effective $10k unless you purposefully direct some of it away to the PC.

Is that correct?

If so, I am failing to see why this is such a big issue. As long as money isn't being funneled away from all donations given to the school, how does this affect our overall donation level? Unless some people were giving just because the benefits of being in the President's Council was the catalyst for them giving their donations.

Edited by TIgreen01

The "big deal" is that the essence of the PC has been changed...if you want to be a member of the PC going forward you must give "only" to the president's fund at a level of $1000 or greater! It does not effect that fact that you can now simply designate your dollars to various areas of the university on your own...which my wife and I will now do...and will increase our overall level of donations as we have done in the each of the proceeding several years. We try to increase our level of support each year. But, that's beside the point. We simply do not like being told where our donations will go. I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with Prez B making this change, as I have said in an earlier post, and I hope she gets millions of dollars for her personal distribution (as that is how it will be used plain and simple) as long as the funds do go to actual depts., student scholarships, etc. I would hate to think they could be used for such things as new furniture for her office, "conferences" that are more "party" than "conference", etc., etc. But discretionary funds are simply that...discretionary...in this case at Prez B's discretion. Not saying anything is wrong with that AT ALL or that funds will be used for anything other than real/solid university business/support. But, if so...why keep people from membership simply because they want to make sure that their donations go where they want them to go?

That's the only problem I have with this change and it's a big enough change that we have decided to simply not renew our membership. No big deal I am sure as I did hear that Prez B thought the PC was too big/too many members at the $1000 min. level and that this may be a way to thin the numbers a bit to make it more of a "big dog/elite" group. Just a rumor...who cares...go for it! Besides, the parties are not nearly as enjoyable now as they were when President Pohl was at UNT. Too stiff for me...and now...they charge for admission to the PC's own parties.

From where I sit...membership meant:

1) Support for UNT (we will still do that and increase our level in 2009);

2) "D" parking pass...who cares...no big deal;

3) PC Newsletter...another no biggie as the info wasn't really very general in nature;

4) PC parties....no biggie...but they were fun at one time and we met some great new memebrs of the Mean Green Nation...but, not worth the extra price of admission in MHO; and

5) Access to Prez B...Yea, right...if you are one of her "favorites" perhaps...last time I was "up close and personal" to her she didn't even acknowledge my existence all the while chatting it up with the guy I was talking with before she walked up! Did not even bother to say "hello", offer her hand, NADA...NOTHING...ZILCH...ZERO...chatted with my friend for over 2 min. and walked away....can you spell R-U-D-E!!!!

But, still, this is no big deal as far as support for UNT goes as we see it. Prez. B has done some very good things, no doubt, and will continue to do so for UNT as it is in her best interests to do so. UNT is moving forward under her direction, and, I believe will continue to do so. That's a good thing. This change IN NO WAY effects my support for UNT now or in the future. I hope everyone else who is considering dropping their PC membership feels the same way about their continued support for UNT.

I just wish more folks would support UNT with their talent and treasure. Too many people seem to "talk a good game" but "walk a different reality". For a university the size of UNT our alumni support is terribly small. Too many weak excuses as to why they don't support...too many "made up" slights and too many things way in the past...moving forward and up...Wherever you want to give your $$$$ and at what levl...JUST GIVE! It's important.

I think a good study would be to see what the "giving level" is from those who received scholarships to attend UNT as compared to the "general population" of non-scholarship students. I wonder if receiving a fully paid/partially paid education has any effect on wanting to help others in the same situation. Is there a difference in "giving back" levels between need-based (financial need) scholarship students and academic/athletic performance-based scholarship students? Could be an interesting research project for UNT and other universities...say 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc, after graduation...what's the percentage og "givers". Would also like to see it done between academic departments....do A&S grads actually "give back" more than College of Business grads? What about the "artsy" crowd as some folks refer to them, the education majors, engineers, Science majors, etc., etc. Anyone else think that would be a good research study? I'll bet you could even get a grant from somewhere to study that. Just wondering.

Good luck Prez B. I do hope you gets lots and lots of $$$$...all good for the Mean Green Nation.

Just give, baby, GIVE to the Mean Green!

Is there a record of giving by Dr. B and Chancellor Jackson to the Mean Green Club ?

Now, that WOULD be interesting to know, wouldn't it? I will say that Prez B "shows up" at quite a few athletic events...she was definitely in Hot Springs for the tournament...have NEVER EVER seen Jackson at any event. Doesn't mean he hasn't been there, I just haven't seen him.

Interesting side note...at one of the UNT Denton Exes (we were called Exes at that time) events I was working we were selling the "Beat Navy" T-Shirts....OK, the "Sink Navy" t-shirts...my bride and I were working T-Shirt "sales" and I approached RV to buy a T-Shirt...HE SAID NO WAY...Yep, he didn't want to buy ONE...he immediately BOUGHT TWO! Way to go RV...that is something about RV...he really supports this sort of thing with his own money and his time....so, figuring I was on to something, I asked Prez B to buy a T-Shirt to support UNT Exes scholarships (the whole point of the event was to raise scholarship money)...you would think I had asked her if she wanted to catch CANCER or something! She looked at me like...just who the heck do you think I am and how dare you ask ME...to buy a T-shirt!!!! I thought she was kidding, so I "pressed on", made a joke and asked again "how many" T-shirts she would like to buy to support UNT scholarships? She gave me the best "go to hell look" I have ever received in my entire life...really, it was a classic! I got the idea I had better shut up on the asking her part real quick! Pretty funny. Seems she is constantly asking me for dollars for the Emerald Scholars program and other scholarship efforts...and she seems to be smiling when she asks me for money. Gee, I wonder what the difference was???? Ha! Too funny....pretty interesting I thought. I will give her BIG TIME credit for showing up at the event. I was impressed that she took the time to show up...of course, she got in free and had a meal on us. But, hey, just part of the deal. We were very happy to have her.

But, Greenjoe...you have a good point and question...If I were a betting man, I would say that neither have joined the Mean Green Club with their own funds. By virtue of their positions at UNT I would suspect that they HAVE membership if they want it.

Before I get "hit" again as seeming to post only "interesting" things about Prez B, let me say AGAIN that I think she is doing very good work for UNT and that under her leadership, I feel UNT is heading in a positive and upward direction. She has done lots of good things for the university and will continue to do so. There, please do not think otherwise from my posts...just a couple of interesting tidbits from my personal experiences having contact with her "up close and personal" as they say....