Too Bad We Didn't Play Florida State Last Year

I think their wins are just vacated. They don't "lose", the games are simply not counted...as if they didn't happen. So we wouldn't suddenly win...we'd just have one less loss.

I believe that's how it works.

Edited by CMJ

I think their wins are just vacated. They don't "lose", the games are simply not counted...as if they didn't happen. So we wouldn't suddenly win...we'd just have one less loss.

I believe that's how it works.

Actually, no. Hayden Fry's 10-1 year actually was a 9-2 year till Miss State (or someone in Mississippi, I forget which school) had to forfeit. It counts in the NCAA records as a win for NT.

Actually, no. Hayden Fry's 10-1 year actually was a 9-2 year till Miss State (or someone in Mississippi, I forget which school) had to forfeit. It counts in the NCAA records as a win for NT.

Here's where we'll find out when they update it.

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/careercoach

Bowden is still listed as 382-123-4, I'm sure by the fall one of their bookeepers will change that. However, remembering all of Michigan basketball's troubles from the 90's with Chris Webber and then the later scadal with Robert "Tractor" Trailer and others, I looked up how they were dealt with.

In 1991-1992 Michigan's Final Four win was vacated(I guess Webber only had contact with the agent after the Elite 8 that year)

In 1992-1993 Michigan's wins were vacated, but their record in the NCAA record books stands as 0-4 - in other words not 0 for 30 or whatever

In 1995-1996 All but one of Michigan's wins were vacated. They stand at 1-10

In 1996-1997 Michigan is 0-11, once again their wins being vacated

In 1997-1998 Michigan went 0-8, 24 wins being vacated

In 1998-1999 Michigan went 0-19; 12 wins being vacated

In 1991-1992 Michigan's Final Four win was vacated(I guess Webber only had contact with the agent after the Elite 8 that year)

In 1992-1993 Michigan's wins were vacated, but their record in the NCAA record books stands as 0-4 - in other words not 0 for 30 or whatever

In 1995-1996 All but one of Michigan's wins were vacated. They stand at 1-10

In 1996-1997 Michigan is 0-11, once again their wins being vacated

In 1997-1998 Michigan went 0-8, 24 wins being vacated

In 1998-1999 Michigan went 0-19; 12 wins being vacated

Good God, and they gave SMU the death penalty?* How many consecutive years of gross violations does it take?

*Not an advocation of anything positive toward SMU.

It was the 1977 Mississippi game....which we only lost 15-17 on the field.

And then a few years later our brilliant administrators (bless their clueless hearts) hired the same coach that got Miss St. into trouble,... Bob Tyler. We could have had Corky Nelson a year earlier than we did (he originally applied for the job when Tyler did) BUT (in his best John Belushi voice) NOOOOOOOOOOO........ they had to have Bob freak'in Tyler. <_<

It was the 1977 Mississippi game....which we only lost 15-17 on the field.

And then a few years later our brilliant administrators (bless their clueless hearts) hired the same coach that got Miss St. into trouble,... Bob Tyler. We could have had Corky Nelson a year earlier than we did (he originally applied for the job when Tyler did) BUT (in his best John Belushi voice) NOOOOOOOOOOO........ they had to have Bob freak'in Tyler. <_<

Bob Tyler was the worst coach we ever had. He almost got us on NCAA probation for allowing the players to use the athletic department phones to make long distance calls. (It feels weird to write that now, but there actually was a time when it was noticeably more expensive to make long distance calls and it was long distance from Denton to Dallas.) But I remember talking to players that year - I'd just graduated in 81 - and a lot of them though he was the second coming of Hayden.

I'm pretty sure the 77 Miss St lose was the one where Hayden's post game interview was not the best I covered for KNTU. I think that was one where "the players lost the game I could have won" was his statement.

Good God, and they gave SMU the death penalty?* How many consecutive years of gross violations does it take?

*Not an advocation of anything positive toward SMU.

:lol:

SMU did stuff well beyond just paying players under the table like Michigan did.

Edited by CMJ

I'd be happy with one less loss.