1990 Opening Day Lineup

Ice closed our Dallas office, so I'm rifing through old boxes of junk in there garage (wife's orders). Anyway, I found the game program from the first game of my first year at UNT. Erric Pegram is on the cover.

Starting Lineups:

Offense:

#4 - WR - Johnie Rodgers

#76 - LT - J.D. Martinez

#78 - LG - Scott Dukatnik

#54 - C - Clay Bode

#66 - RG - Paul Gallamore

#53 - RT - Scott Bowles

#25 - WR - Tony Cook

# 1 - QB - Scott Davis

#33 - FB - David Blanchard

#13 - RB - Erric Pegram

#9 - FL - Velton Morgan

Defense:

#90 - End - Lewis Fields

#97 - LT - Mike Davis

#84 - NT - Shawn Walsh

#56 - RT - James Walton

#40 - Mon - Willie Hughes

#11 - LB - Keith Wilkerson

#50 - LB - Byron Gross

#36 - LC - Isaac Barnett

#21 - FS - Sean Mayes

#24 - SS - Walter Casey

#6 - RC - Jeff Tutson

Also of interest on the roster:

-Both of Joe Greene's boys, Major (SR-DL) and DeLoss (SO-LB)

-WR Clayton George, RS-FR

-Steve Piskor, brother of the famous baseball playing Piskors from Plano East

Quarterbacking for Abilene Chrsitian that night - current Colleyville Heritage head football coach Mike Fuller. At linebacker was future Hereford assistant David Wright. Gene Stallings future son-in-law Keith Gunn also suited up for ACU.

Defense:

#90 - End - Lewis Fields

#97 - LT - Mike Davis

#84 - NT - Shawn Walsh

#56 - RT - James Walton

#40 - Mon - Willie Hughes

#11 - LB - Keith Wilkerson

#50 - LB - Byron Gross

#36 - LC - Isaac Barnett

#21 - FS - Sean Mayes

#24 - SS - Walter Casey

#6 - RC - Jeff Tutson

Maybe I'm a football moron, but I'm a little unfamiliar with this arrangement of the front seven. I'm guessing you have d-end on the weakside, left tackle, nose tackle, and right tackle over on the strong side. Then you have two linebackers, but I have no idea what Mon is. Maybe some kind of Monster lining up wherever it is best to scare people. Monkey? Monday? Money? Mons Venus?

Is this a 4-3 with weird names? Or is it some strange variant of the 4-2-5?

Maybe I'm a football moron, but I'm a little unfamiliar with this arrangement of the front seven. I'm guessing you have d-end on the weakside, left tackle, nose tackle, and right tackle over on the strong side. Then you have two linebackers, but I have no idea what Mon is. Maybe some kind of Monster lining up wherever it is best to scare people. Monkey? Monday? Money? Mons Venus?

MON was Monster. A hybrid of LB and Safety.

Maybe Gmoney can explain the allignment.

It was more of a 3-4 than anything. When Finklea was annouced as DC he changed to this defense. In 1988 we had two undersize, but very fast DE's that could cover and we used them to cover from the strong side depending on coverage. This was the second year that Nelson Barnes was gone and Finklea coached the DL and I was a graduate assistant that coached DL.

Speaking of DL. I understand that we are in search of one. Nelson Barnes is sitting at home in Stillwater waiting on someone to call.

Yes, in those days we actually played teams we could beat in the eraly weeks! Like Alcorn St., ACU AND SMU! What a concept! But, yes the $$$$$ talks, and heavan knows UNT's program can use the $$$$. can't they all? I do hope for a return to games early in the season that can bring some possibility of wins. Getting beat up by the likes of OU and LSU just plain sucks and does not set the stage well for the rest of the season. I think the program is headed in that direction, but as everyone knows, schedules are set long in advance, so it will take some time. And, some added $$$$ support from alumni and friends and ticket sales, etc. to make it happen.

New stadium will help a great deal to bring good and appropriate opponents to Denton. Can't wait. See you at the games!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Yes, in those days we actually played teams we could beat in the eraly weeks! Like Alcorn St., ACU AND SMU! What a concept! But, yes the $$$$$ talks, and heavan knows UNT's program can use the $$$$. can't they all? I do hope for a return to games early in the season that can bring some possibility of wins. Getting beat up by the likes of OU and LSU just plain sucks and does not set the stage well for the rest of the season. I think the program is headed in that direction, but as everyone knows, schedules are set long in advance, so it will take some time. And, some added $$$$ support from alumni and friends and ticket sales, etc. to make it happen.

New stadium will help a great deal to bring good and appropriate opponents to Denton. Can't wait. See you at the games!

GO MEAN GREEN!

I for one can't wait to see how Todd Dodge finally does when he gets his chance against a team like SMU.

Hopefully he'll get them in a season where they only win one game!!

Yes, in those days we actually played teams we could beat in the eraly weeks! Like Alcorn St., ACU AND SMU! What a concept! But, yes the $$$ talks, and heavan knows UNT's program can use the $$. can't they all? I do hope for a return to games early in the season that can bring some possibility of wins. Getting beat up by the likes of OU and LSU just plain sucks and does not set the stage well for the rest of the season. I think the program is headed in that direction, but as everyone knows, schedules are set long in advance, so it will take some time. And, some added $$ support from alumni and friends and ticket sales, etc. to make it happen.

GO MEAN GREEN!

You do know UNT was in 1aa at that time?

Quarterbacking for Abilene Chrsitian that night - current Colleyville Heritage head football coach Mike Fuller.

He was my high school economics teacher, my jv head coach and my varsity offensive coordinator when I played at Coppell. Ironically, Colleyville Heritage got their first win or first district win against us that year. We played like crap that game. We beat state champion Grapevine that year and came within a few points of beating SLC and making the playoffs. Ahh memories.