Gomeangreen.com Blog

Harry

Harry, I have to agree with you about how hard it is to get, (and then develop), O-linemen. I was just reading the B-12 review in the ST this morning, which included the all-B-12 team. Except for one junior, the rest of the O-line is seniors. The second team O-line has three Sr's and two JR's. The WR are all soph's, as is the RB, and QB. The TE is a junior. The D-line is one Sr, two Jrs' and one Soph.

I'm glad that we might get Atkinson, but I still wonder why we would pass on the young man from Blinn (6'X295 5.1) who can come in NOW and is MOTIVATED (or was) to come to come to NT. I'll take a "motivated-to-be-here player" any day over someone who looked around a lot before coming here.

Or, maybe I'm just reading the whole situation with Mr. Warren the wrong way.

Harry, I have to agree with you about how hard it is to get, (and then develop), O-linemen. I was just reading the B-12 review in the ST this morning, which included the all-B-12 team. Except for one junior, the rest of the O-line is seniors. The second team O-line has three Sr's and two JR's. The WR are all soph's, as is the RB, and QB. The TE is a junior. The D-line is one Sr, two Jrs' and one Soph.

I'm glad that we might get Atkinson, but I still wonder why we would pass on the young man from Blinn (6'X295 5.1) who can come in NOW and is MOTIVATED (or was) to come to come to NT. I'll take a "motivated-to-be-here player" any day over someone who looked around a lot before coming here.

Or, maybe I'm just reading the whole situation with Mr. Warren the wrong way.

Troy seems to be doing just fine.

Wish there were more lineman but honestly they are the toughest and take the longest to land and that has always been the case and always will be.

Troy has commitments from nine linemen. 3 OLs, 4 DTs, 2 DEs.

Yes, it is hard. Yes, it can be done. Yes, that is how you win big.

As I said we aren't the most selective university, but at least for new freshmen we have standards. They pretty just require that you graduate.

Our transfer standards aren't as high, but you at least have to have over a 2.0 to transfer. Troy will let you in below that.

So Troy's like a Cal State school. Anybody can go.

I did a little looking up of some of the standards at UNT, and to be honest, saying we're not Rice or Harvard is a bit of an understatement. I was curious how I was able to simply walk into the COBA building this past June and tell them that I was going to be taking classes here in the fall. I was shocked that I didn't need to have an application in a year in advance. As for the courses, I can't tell if it's age or material, but classes here seem to me to be exponentially easier than classes the first collegiate go around. I do, however, see results from UNT degrees. People get jobs -- good jobs after going to school here provided said degree is in a useful field. And that, if you ask me after a few years of living in the hard cold world, is the merit upon which a degree and a university should be judged.

Guest GrayEagleOne

So Troy's like a Cal State school. Anybody can go.

I did a little looking up of some of the standards at UNT, and to be honest, saying we're not Rice or Harvard is a bit of an understatement. I was curious how I was able to simply walk into the COBA building this past June and tell them that I was going to be taking classes here in the fall. I was shocked that I didn't need to have an application in a year in advance. As for the courses, I can't tell if it's age or material, but classes here seem to me to be exponentially easier than classes the first collegiate go around. I do, however, see results from UNT degrees. People get jobs -- good jobs after going to school here provided said degree is in a useful field. And that, if you ask me after a few years of living in the hard cold world, is the merit upon which a degree and a university should be judged.

UNT began a post-baccalaurate program about ten years ago whereby anyone with a bachelor's degree can take graduate courses without enrolling in Graduate School. If you are going for a Master's Degree then you used to be required to pass a GMAT (COBA) or GRE (all others) for admission. I assume that's still in effect.

North Texas is comparable to UCI in admission standards. Incoming freshmen have testing grades above the national average but hardly comparable to most private universities. We are classed as selective because we accept somewhere between half and two-thirds of all applicants.

By the way, not all Cal State universities are open to everyone. Cal State Disneyland (Fullerton), for example, is considered selective as well.

Back to the point. Troy gets the NJCAA national player of the year at a d-line position, we are praying that a honorable mention all-conference d-line doesn't de-commit. It should not be like this.

Not sure why it should be different. Troy has Demarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora(or however you spell that friggin name) just tearing up the NFL the last 2 years. We did pretty well back when we had 3-4 years of dominant d-lines......but NONE of our players ever panned out at the next level quite like Troy's 2 superstars have. The critical thing for them was that they have been lucky and never had the major drop-off we had when we missed on a few key players immediately following the Booger/Pruitt/Awasome lines. Our defenses never totally recovered while they managed to always seem to field a competitive squad.

Much as I think Troy is not exactly a program to copy (they walk a fine line on ethical recruitment of "student" athletes), you have to give them credit for consistently fielding a solid defense, placing players into the NFL and steadily growing their program.

Edited by TIgreen01