Bcs Craziness

emmitt01

FWIW, here are some allegedly inside comments from a Sugar Bowl rep:

"1. He personally doesn't like the conference affiliation thing. Says more and more ground is gaining into making BCS a liberal market. Same format as to who goes but even BCS coaches like that they could travel to other parts they haven't before for recruiting purposes.

2. Jerry's World is more than likely going be a part of the BCS rotation (Cotton). Seems maybe also one more BCS bowl in the upper NE in the new stadium up in NY.

3. Said as long as Texas wins out if they don't play for the MNC they would be the first team selected of the @ large. Mack Brown + the way Texas has played this year and in previous bowls + fans traveling = huge.

4. Said that if Oregon St. wins out USC will get left out."

1. USC is not the best team right now. The competition they have played has been downright horrible. Their signature win is against a very overrated Ohio State team. Not only did they lose to Oregon St., they were dominated..absolutely dominated...in the trenches. Oregon State ran the ball right down USC's throat. I think USC would lose to OU, Okie St., UT, Tech, and Florida very easily.

2. If Tech loses to OU, but then Okie St. beats OU, Tech goes to the Big XII Championship game because they would be tied with UT for one loss (assuming Tech beats Baylor and UT beats KU and A&M), and Tech goes due to the head-to-head victory over UT.

3. If Tech loses to OU, and OU and UT both win out, whoever is ranked higher in the BCS goes to Kansas City. I'm willing to bet it will be OU, but who knows? Stranger things have happened.

4. I think whoever represents the South in the Big XII wins the Championship game and will be in the MNC, as long as whoever that is only has one loss. I don't see a scenario where a South team goes to KC with 2 losses at this point.

If someone held a gun to my head and said make a prediction, I would have to say OU wins the Big XII and faces Florida in Miami for the crystal football.

Tech, UT and Florida are the three best teams in the nation. USC isn't even top 5 in my book. Sure they've only given up 60 points, but who have they played? The state of Washington is horrible, UCLA is down, the state of Arizona is weak. They played a good offense in Oregon State and got beat.

For clarification: I hate USC and Pete Carroll.

Edited by UNTLifer

2. If Tech loses to OU, but then Okie St. beats OU, Tech goes to the Big XII Championship game because they would be tied with UT for one loss (assuming Tech beats Baylor and UT beats KU and A&M), and Tech goes due to the head-to-head victory over UT.

I can see this scenario, but in this scenario, no way does Tech go to the MNC. This is the scenario that possibly has Texas going to the MNC. :blink:

3. If Tech loses to OU, and OU and UT both win out, whoever is ranked higher in the BCS goes to Kansas City. I'm willing to bet it will be OU, but who knows?

I agree. Very possible.

If someone held a gun to my head and said make a prediction, I would have to say OU wins the Big XII and faces Florida in Miami for the crystal football.

OU needs to win out and win out big in order to go to Miami.

Longjim...in scenario #2, if Tech beats a top 10 ranked Missouri team, which more than likely would be top 10 by the Big XII game, it's not out of the question that that victory alone would put Tech ahead of UT for the MNC.

But again, with the BCS, who knows. I don't think anyone really understands the formula very well.

OU goes to the MNC if they win out from here. Either Florida or Alabama will lose a game. The loser is out of the picture. The winning of the Big XII Champ game would put OU in front of UT most likely in the BCS rankings. They play the winner of the Alabama-Florida game.

Longjim...in scenario #2, if Tech beats a top 10 ranked Missouri team, which more than likely would be top 10 by the Big XII game, it's not out of the question that that victory alone would put Tech ahead of UT for the MNC.

No, its not out of the question. Using that scenario, it will depend on style points. How bad was Tech beaten in Norman by BCS #6 + a last second victory over #1 at home against an opponent that they couldn't put away, vs. a 10 point win on a neutral field over #1--who beat Tech, and a last second loss to #6 at their house. It's really up in the air at this point. Will have to see how it plays out.

OU goes to the MNC if they win out from here. The winning of the Big XII Champ game would put OU in front of UT most likely in the BCS rankings.

Maybe. They will likely not pass Texas in the computers even if they do win out. If Texas wins out, voters are not going to forget October 11th, the fact that Texas destroyed Mizz, and OU's 2 games against Washington and Chattanooga. Anything can happen. :)

This is a "mythical" National Championship since there are NO playoffs. It still boggles my mind what a true 16 team (or more) playoff system could do for college football. It would make March Madness look silly.

Agree. Enough with the polls; how many different #1 teams have there been this season alone? It's time to determine it the way ALL other levels of football and ALL other divisions of college football determine it's true champion......on the field!

Tech, UT and Florida are the three best teams in the nation. USC isn't even top 5 in my book. Sure they've only given up 60 points, but who have they played? The state of Washington is horrible, UCLA is down, the state of Arizona is weak. They played a good offense in Oregon State and got beat.

For clarification: I hate USC and Pete Carroll.

Good defense usually trumps good offense.

I can see you giving a nod to UT or Tech over USC. They each have better losses, so they are more deserving(even though I believe USC would beat both).

Florida looks great, but if we're gonna strictly use the "deserving" mantra, which is better? USC's loss is on the road to a ranked(not in the BCS, but in the human polls) Oregon State. Florida's loss is to an unranked(across the board) Mississippi team...at home.

Florida's best win is probably Georgia. USC's was Ohio State. Both of those schools are basically ranked equally in the polls.

I'd say it's fairly equal. Florida also has a weak non conference slate(the Citadel will probably kill them in the computers), where USC tries to play "big boys" every year.

No, its not out of the question. Using that scenario, it will depend on style points. How bad was Tech beaten in Norman by BCS #6 + a last second victory over #1 at home against an opponent that they couldn't put away, vs. a 10 point win on a neutral field over #1--who beat Tech, and a last second loss to #6 at their house. It's really up in the air at this point. Will have to see how it plays out.

Maybe. They will likely not pass Texas in the computers even if they do win out. If Texas wins out, voters are not going to forget October 11th, the fact that Texas destroyed Mizz, and OU's 2 games against Washington and Chattanooga. Anything can happen. :)

Yeah, I think the real wild card in the OU situation is Missouri's rank come Big XII Championship time. I think that ranking and OU's "style points" make all the difference between OU or UT going.

There is still so many ways this can play out. Florida and Alabama could also stumble with one of their other opponents, and both of them did, USC could be back in play. I think another interesting scenario would be Tech winning out, the SEC schools stumbling and self-destructing, and UT winning out. Could we really have a Tech-UT matchup for the MNC?

Crazy...and I kind of like it, I admit.

What's so crazy about the SEC champ vs the Big 12 champ for the National Title?

The Big 12's tie breaker is to have the team with the best BCS standing play in the conference championship. They do that for a reason, to position themselves in to play for a national title.

Good defense usually trumps good offense.

I can see you giving a nod to UT or Tech over USC. They each have better losses, so they are more deserving(even though I believe USC would beat both).

Not the kind of offense Tech is currently running.

UT has one loss, to Tech. Tech is undefeated, so not sure how they have a better loss than USC. USC doesn't have the offense to score enough to beat UT or Tech and USC's defense has not been tested this year. Sorry, but an annual out of conference schedule that currently includes Notre Dame, not good, and Ohio State, overrated every year yet good in the unathletic Big 10, does nothing for me. USC is not near as good this year as in year's past.

Full Disclosure: I hate USC and Pete Carroll.

Not the kind of offense Tech is currently running.

UT has one loss, to Tech. Tech is undefeated, so not sure how they have a better loss than USC. USC doesn't have the offense to score enough to beat UT or Tech and USC's defense has not been tested this year. Sorry, but an annual out of conference schedule that currently includes Notre Dame, not good, and Ohio State, overrated every year yet good in the unathletic Big 10, does nothing for me. USC is not near as good this year as in year's past.

Full Disclosure: I hate USC and Pete Carroll.

Sorry about the better losses - I meant to type NO losses.

I would say as someone who is pretty impartial - USC doesn't duck anyone out of conference. They have in the last few years scheduled SEC schools home/away, Big XII schools home/away, and Big 10 schools home/away.

Not to mention their annual contest with ND(who is down right now, but it's not like they weren't playing them when they were both bad, or great...it's just a ancient rivalry).

I challenge you to find any school that year in and year out plays their sort of schedule.

Full disclosure: I don't exactly "like" USC either...if I had to pick one of the LA schools I follow, it would be UCLA. But I also know "dominance" when I see it. IMHO, this is the best team Carrol has had since his one that destroyed Oklahoma for the BCS title. I give it the nod over the one in 2005 that supposedly was "the best team ever", because this one, like the '04 edition(and unlike the '05 edition) - plays kick ass defense.

Edited by CMJ

Yeah, I think the real wild card in the OU situation is Missouri's rank come Big XII Championship time. I think that ranking and OU's "style points" make all the difference between OU or UT going.

No question. It'll be interesting, for sure. Stoops is already barking. :)

Crazy...and I kind of like it, I admit.

BCS or no--I absolutely LOVE this time of year. There's nothing in sports like it.

Yes, Florida with their yearly Citadel, Georgia playing the likes of Central Michigan, and Tennesse jumping out of conference to play a Northern Illinois or UAB.

Nice try.

LOL! Ok, I guess we can call it pretty even. USC does schedule some tough OOC games, but the PAC 10 is not exactly murderers row. ;)

LOL! Ok, I guess we can call it pretty even. USC does schedule some tough OOC games, but the PAC 10 is not exactly murderers row. ;)

The PAC-10 is the only auto-bid conference to schedule no d1aa/fcs teams. Teams can't control how good their conference is going to be, they can control who their OOC games will be.

The PAC-10 is the only auto-bid conference to schedule no d1aa/fcs teams. Teams can't control how good their conference is going to be, they can control who their OOC games will be.

So what? Doesn't excuse the fact that the PAC 10 is a weak conference. They don't play a conf championship either.

So what? Doesn't excuse the fact that the PAC 10 is a weak conference. They don't play a conf championship either.

It's weak this year. It's not usually this weak.

As far as a championship game goes...there are 10 schools. Everyone plays everyone...9 league games. You can't do that in a 12 team conference - hence a need for a title game. But, even so....they still only play 9 league games in the B12. And that's IF you make the championship game...otherwise it's 8.

Edited by CMJ

No question. It'll be interesting, for sure. Stoops is already barking. :)

That's because if there becomes a three way tie between Tech, tU and zeroU the higher BCS seeded team goes to the Championship game. And interestingly enough, out of the three coaches(Leach, Brown and Stoops), Stoops is the only one of the three that doesn't have a vote in the Coaches poll this year.

Greatness.

I'm with NT80. I'm hoping for a complete BCS meltdown.

Rick

What's so crazy about the SEC champ vs the Big 12 champ for the National Title?

The Big 12's tie breaker is to have the team with the best BCS standing play in the conference championship. They do that for a reason, to position themselves in to play for a national title.

Nothing, unless the Big 12 NORTH champ (Mizzou) happened to win the championship game.

As a UF grad, I'm just glad to see that no one here seems to think that the Gators don't control their own destiny. My father is a TTU grad, and is for all intents and purposes on his death bed in a nursing home. I'm rooting for the Red Raiders, but I will most likely bawl like a schoolgirl the whole way through the game! :(