Analysis Of Wr Position At Nt

OldTimer

Since the issue of WR has been brought to this board I thought I would post my analysis of the WR position on this forumn since there will be little info on 09 commits at this time.

06 recruiting..The only returning players from this recruiting crop have been switched to other positions:

TE Bryant Seidle...wb Sr. switched to LB

WR Arthur Stubblefield wb Sr. switched to DB

WR Korey Washington no longer on team,

***************************************************************************************

07 signees

Sam Dibrell....chose to leave the team

BJ Lewis........moved to Defense

Marcus King...chose to leave the team

Breece Johnson. Colleyville Heritage...6-1, 175...08 stats to date appeared in 5 games, 4 receptions for 28 yards...................returning

Sam Roberson, Sommerville 6-4, 210, 08 stats to date appeared in 8 games, 12 receptions for 76 yds....................................returning

Evan Walker...on indefinate suspension...no playing time

Kevin Dickerson...walk from FW Calvery Christian....08 stats appeared in 8 games, 8 receptions for 55 yds............................returning

******************************************************************************************

08 signees:

Alex Lott...walk on transfer from texas Lutheran, 5-9, 175, wb Jr. 08 stats...appeared in 8 games, 22 receptions for 178 yards

Forrest Rucker, Hearne HS, 6-5, 195, 4.5 redshirted due to injury

Willie Taylor Dallas Hillcrest HS, 6-0, 160, redshirted

Desmond Brighan, Caddo Mills HS, 6-0, 169, redshirted

Kenny Barrett, Mart, 6-4, 190, 4.6, redshirted

Riley Dodge, SLC, 6-0, 183, 08 stats: 3 games, 9 receptions for 59 yds. sufferred concusion is being medically reshirted so he will have 4 more years to play WR/QB.

*******************************************************************************************

09 committment to date and 09 offers :

Daniel Mayberry, Dallas Spruce, 6-2, 175, 4.4

NT has offered a JC WR, 5-11, 185, 4.4

NT has offered a HS WR 6-5, 180, 4.64

*******************************************************************************************

Look at 09:

Casey Fitzgerald and Brock Sickler will graduate. The following will be returning: info above

Breece Johnson

Sam Roberson

Alex Lott

Kevin Dickerson

Forest Rucker

Willie Taylor

Desmond Brigham

Kenny Barrett

Riley Dodge could play WR/QB

...plus Daniel Mayberry and possible a JC and a HS WR. and possibly more?

Here is what I like about our receiver positon for 09.... I believe our overall WR speed will be quicker, I believe we will have 3 Tall WR with speed, who can reach over smaller DB's in jump ball situations.

Speed....Riley Dodge 4.4, Mayberry, 4.4, JC WR 4.4, Breece Johnson 4.4

Height and speed Forrest Rucker 6-4, 4.5, Sam Roberson 6-4, 4.5, Kenny Barret 6-4, 4.6

I see needed speed and a combination of height and speed at the receiver positions in 09. It is possible additional signees could come at NT because of scholarship players who have left the squad and possibly transfers from other position.

If anyone has information I missed or that is incorrect please feel free to notify me. I want the analysis to be correct.

OLDTIMER

Since the issue of WR has been brought to this board I thought I would post my analysis of the WR position on this forumn since there will be little info on 09 commits at this time.

06 recruiting..The only returning players from this recruiting crop have been switched to other positions:

TE Bryant Seidle...wb Sr. switched to LB

WR Arthur Stubblefield wb Sr. switched to DB

WR Korey Washington no longer on team,

***************************************************************************************

07 signees

Sam Dibrell....chose to leave the team

BJ Lewis........moved to Defense

Marcus King...chose to leave the team

Breece Johnson. Colleyville Heritage...6-1, 175...08 stats to date appeared in 5 games, 4 receptions for 28 yards...................returning

Sam Roberson, Sommerville 6-4, 210, 08 stats to date appeared in 8 games, 12 receptions for 76 yds....................................returning

Evan Walker...on indefinate suspension...no playing time

Kevin Dickerson...walk from FW Calvery Christian....08 stats appeared in 8 games, 8 receptions for 55 yds............................returning

******************************************************************************************

08 signees:

Alex Lott...walk on transfer from texas Lutheran, 5-9, 175, wb Jr. 08 stats...appeared in 8 games, 22 receptions for 178 yards

Forrest Rucker, Hearne HS, 6-5, 195, 4.5 redshirted due to injury

Willie Taylor Dallas Hillcrest HS, 6-0, 160, redshirted

Desmond Brighan, Caddo Mills HS, 6-0, 169, redshirted

Kenny Barrett, Mart, 6-4, 190, 4.6, redshirted

Riley Dodge, SLC, 6-0, 183, 08 stats: 3 games, 9 receptions for 59 yds. sufferred concusion is being medically reshirted so he will have 4 more years to play WR/QB.

09 committment to date and 09 offers :

Daniel Mayberry, Dallas Spruce, 6-2, 175, 4.4

NT has offered a JC WR, 5-11, 185, 4.4

NT has offered a HS WR 6-5, 180, 4.64

Look at 09:

Casey Fitzgerald and Brock Sickler will graduate. The following will be returning: info above

Breece Johnson

Sam Roberson

Alex Lott

Kevin Dickerson

Forest Rucker

Willie Taylor

Desmond Brigham

Kenny Barrett

Riley Dodge could play WR/QB

...plus Daniel Mayberry and possible a JC and a HS WR. and possibly more?

Here is what I like about our receiver positon for 09.... I believe our overall WR speed will be quicker, I believe we will have 3 Tall WR with speed, who can reach over smaller DB's in jump ball situations.

Height and speed Forrest Rucker 6-4, 4.5, Sam Roberson 6-4, 4.5, Kenny Barret 6-4, 4.6

I see needed speed and a combination of height and speed at the receiver positions in 09. It is possible additional signees could come at NT because of scholarship players who have left the squad and possibly transfers from other position.

If anyone has information I missed or that is incorrect please feel free to notify me. I want the analysis to be correct.

OLDTIMER

I will be shocked if they limit the WR signees this year to 3.

Dodge says he likes tall receivers on the outside and quick shifty receivers (the better route runners) as inside receivers. He said since he has been coaching this offense there has one receiver that could play both inside and outside receiver, that is Casey Fitzgerald

I still think Roberson has a lot of potential. But, not the way we're using him.

I think he could be a Malcolm Kelly "stretch a defense" type of WR. We tend to mostly though, throw to him at the line of scrimmage and hope that he can make someone miss. Come to think of it....that's how we throw to everybody.

Look at 09:

OLDTIMER

I'm glad you posted the info about the speed of the JC WR., because IMHO he would at least have to be that fast to justify spending a ship on him. I would also hope that he is a fearless kick returner in the mold of #14 from Troy.

OLDTIMER

This is great and all, but it doesn't mean much when our QB's are running for their life.

What about Chase Bain?

I have been told Chase Baine is going to make the trip this weekend and is getting some reps at practice.

I'm ( yes I live in Lake Dallas) pulling for the Walk-on to finally get his chance. He was a great QB here and is a speedster who always made something happened when he had the ball.

so far the only guy who has shown he can make the tough catch, in traffic, getting hammered, is Casey. Speed is great, I am all for it, but the "tough catch" skill is necessary esp in this type offense.

If Riley is to work at QB in the spring he may not be available for WR duties.

We need more linemen more than we need more WRs.

I do beleive this group of WR's are very talented, and will provide many opportunities

for the offense,plus many headaches for the opponets defense. These guys are

going to fun to watch the next few years.

Forrest Rucker had a very good spring and fall. I beleive he was going to play

this year until he broke his collar bone at the end of fall practice. 4-6 weeks to

heal, plus rehab time. I am glad he was redshirted. At 6-6, and now 225, runs

a 4.5, I sure would hate to be DB coving this guy! Deep threat guy, goal line, you

name it he can do it!

Kenny Barret,6-4, 195, # 8 ranked player by Waco Tribune, 200 meter dash champ.

Size and speed, terriffic athlete! Position receiver for sure!

Desmond Bingham, 6-1, 176, HM all state by AP, various all state honors.

Another speed guy and deep threat!

Greg Brown,6-0, 190, took R/S for 2008

Chase Baine,5-11,200, reminds me of Fentriss (sp?). A sleeper player?

Kevin Dickerson, 5-10,190, JR, good player

Jamel Jackson, 5-9,167, transfer from Northwestern St, fastest guy on the team,

broke his collar bone, out 4-6 weeks, was going to handle KO/Punts. I would like

to know if he could get a R/S for 2008.

Breece Johnson, 6-0, 170, all types of DFW honors, First Team All State, Class 5A

played last year, and is on special teams- will have more opportunities in 2009

Bryan Lockhart, 6-2, 195, Tyler JC, dad is Eugene Lockhart

Alex Lott, 5-9, 165, Soph, what a surprise at Slot Receiver. This kid is very good.

I hope his brother can come to NT too.

Sam Roberson, 6-4, 217, red shirt 2007, all types of state honors, first year

to play. Look for this guy to go deep alot in 2009! Recruited by Alabama/Auburn

This guy will be a star!

Casey Schutza, 5-10, 170, another Euless Trinity player,

Willie Taylor, 5-10, 165, DMN top 100, speed guy, R/S 2008-? Very quick-perfect

slot WR guy!

All of these guys make one hell of a group of WR's, Geez!!! These WR's are great

talents that will be here for years. I am already fired up to see these

guys on the field! These WR's are serious, big time, game breakers!

If these guys are big time why aren't any of them playing? Why did we use Riley at Slot? Have you actually seen these guys play in person to believe the 40 yard dash times? Have you seen them run routes in practice?

If these guys are all big time, why are we going with 3 non scholarship WR's? Yeah, I know, Dodge is holding them back for next season. What about now? What about the team that wants to win now.

If they are as good as everyone says they are, then Dodge is saving them for the chosen one.

Dodge had no problem burning Dibrell and Johnson's red shirt. He had no trouble burning Vizza and MIcah's freshman season so why is he saving them now?

I love FFR sticking up for Dodge now. It makes me warm and fuzzy.

Look at the FW *Telegram article of Oct 4th...Rucker had an injury that shelved him, Brigham, Taylor and Barret needed a year to mature...quotes from that article.

Micah had an injury and couldn't play but has now returned to playing status. Oh Dunbar has an injury now that kept him from playing in the last game...maybe last 2 games

Edited by OldTimer

If these guys are big time why aren't any of them playing? Why did we use Riley at Slot? Have you actually seen these guys play in person to believe the 40 yard dash times? Have you seen them run routes in practice?

If these guys are all big time, why are we going with 3 non scholarship WR's? Yeah, I know, Dodge is holding them back for next season. What about now? What about the team that wants to win now.

If they are as good as everyone says they are, then Dodge is saving them for the chosen one. (you are out of line in this comment)

Dodge had no problem burning Dibrell and Johnson's red shirt. He had no trouble burning Vizza and MIcah's freshman season so why is he saving them now?

I love FFR sticking up for Dodge now. It makes me warm and fuzzy. ...if this makes you warm and fuzzy why such a negative post. It takes time to switch from a run based offense to a spread offense and to adjust to changes in defense systems. Several coaches have posted to that effect...With all the problems Dodge inherited (including the latest), players that openly cursed coaches on the field so loud people in the stands could hear him...with the phony charges of racism etc...I could go on and on. Its really time for those followers to rally behind our coach and our team. In my 52 years of following NT I have seen many ups and downs...but I have faith in Dodge to turn this program around. This is the taste of a true believer.. OldTimer

Guest GrayEagleOne

There are two more that I would hope get tried at WR next year...DeWaylon Cook and Lance Dunbar. Cook supposedly has 4.5 speed and has improved the kickoff return average. He seems more of an offensive player than a defensive player. Dunbar, listed at 4.4, would bring even more speed to the squad of receivers. He seems to have decent hands in limited safety valve catches from his running back position. He may not be large enough to take the pounding that a running back takes and this could get him on the field more. Also, with Mathis moving up next year the running back situation looks to be solid.

I'm also high on Baine and Jamel Jackson, another receiver with speed to burn.

i know Chase Baine, and i am surprised he has not gotten a chance. very good athlete, tough kid with a lot of heart. he will run thru walls for them if they ask. he is not the savior type player but no doubt would be a solid contributor in the slot. good to hear he may get a shot in kentucky this weekend. he is not on scholarship as far as i know, at this point in the season i dont believe we will make a bowl game so lets give em all a shot to see what we have.

I do think Coach Dodge and the staff review the best options on

players and positions. Many factors change over the course of

a season, players, and needs of the team. For a example, Forrest

Rucker, as a true freshman, had a great spring, and progressed

even more in fall practice, to a point where the coaches were

considering Forrest to be a starter, or atleast work his talents

into the offense. Then at the end of fall practice, Forrest breaks

his collar bone. This changed the WR position. So, the staff looks

are solving this problem. First R/S Rucker, and save his talent for

the next 4 years. Move another player in. The staff wanted to play

Roberson last year, but, decided to R/S him last year. He is playing.

The staff is playing some talented walk ons, due to many reasons.

Alex Lott to me, has been a very good suprise this year. Let him

play. Save the likes of Bingham, Rucker for next year. Jackson too.

Look at true fresh, Coleman Feeley, OL, 6-4, 318. Due to changes

with the OL, the staff had to burn his freshman year. This kid is

a very good OL athlete, that is proving his worth. We all would

like to have Fitzgeral, Stickler, another year too, but we can't.

Looks like to me, Coach Dodge and his staff are building for

the future, and saving the talent everywhere they can, but also

trying to put the best players out there, win or lose.