Bright Spots Last Night

eulessismore

1. Cam Montgomery runs hard, and seems to be improving as the season goes along.

2. Steve Warren made some big plays at linebacker; where has he been?

3. DeWaylon Cook had some good kickoff returns, one for over 30 yards.

4. Truman Spencer kicked well; unfortunately the punt coverage unit gave up a big return.

5. Knotts made both pat's and his field goal, kicked off well; also with a kickoff coverage unit giving up the big play.

6. Casey Fitzgerald; what will North Texas football be without him?

Knott looked improved

Spencer has a thunderboot

I really like the aggresiveness I saw out of Warren, around the ball all night

Fitz is a man amongst small small children, a possible more darkly complected reencarnation of his mightiness JQ

1. Cam Montgomery runs hard, and seems to be improving as the season goes along. (Added) Great to have him run since Mosely and Dunbar couldn't play.

2. Steve Warren made some big plays at linebacker; where has he been?

3. DeWaylon Cook had some good kickoff returns, one for over 30 yards.

4. Truman Spencer kicked well; unfortunately the punt coverage unit gave up a big return.

5. Knotts made both pat's and his field goal, kicked off well; also with a kickoff coverage unit giving up the big play.

6. Casey Fitzgerald; what will North Texas football be without him?

I would add some hard hits by S Darren Williams, and Tobe Nwigwe who was all over the place

18, 345 fans who came to the game to support our team, especially with an 0 for win team.

The best musical accompaniment of the fireworks show ever...oops, that was the Troy band.

Im a band geek by default. Troy ONLY brought a "contingent band" to the game = small portion, didnt march at halftime. They probably brought less than half the band, but HOLY MOLY COW, They were LOUD....I love the Green Brigade, but Troy was definately louder last night. Hats off to them...

1. Cam Montgomery runs hard, and seems to be improving as the season goes along.

On that TD run of his last night, he didn't give up until his knees and shoulders hit the turf. From where I was on the track, he looked like he punched the last few years in on his toes and fingertips. This kid is amazing.

And the fans. Good God, I love these fans. The team is 0-andwhateverthecrapitisnow, and we still have a good crowd. I like that, and what I'd love to see is that big crowd grow with a winning team. We would've loved to have a crowd like last night's when we were ruling the SBC. I'd love to see what a proportionate crowd would like on as the team was on its way to a bowl game.

Edited by meangreendork

Im a band geek by default. Troy ONLY brought a "contingent band" to the game = small portion, didnt march at halftime. They probably brought less than half the band, but HOLY MOLY COW, They were LOUD....I love the Green Brigade, but Troy was definately louder last night. Hats off to them...

I love the Green Brigade, but I was commenting to my wife about how "big" of a sound the small ensemble from Troy made. It makes you realize what enthusiasm can do.

Warren has been on the field this year, but his play has not been there. When talking about team missed tackles and positioning, his name should be at the top of the list for offenders. I'm happy to see him coming on late, but the reason someone says "where has he been?" it's because he's not been making plays, NOT because he's not been given his shot.

NOW, I don't completely fault the kid, because it seems like they change his position and training requirements every year, and there's no way to gain a comfort level and confidence in what you're doing with that.

Warren has been on the field this year, but his play has not been there. When talking about team missed tackles and positioning, his name should be at the top of the list for offenders. I'm happy to see him coming on late, but the reason someone says "where has he been?" it's because he's not been making plays, NOT because he's not been given his shot.

NOW, I don't completely fault the kid, because it seems like they change his position and training requirements every year, and there's no way to gain a comfort level and confidence in what you're doing with that.

Warren has played in all 8 games this year..10 solo tackles, 9 asst tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 1 QB rush...He has evidently stepped up for the Troy game to be noticed....don't blame TD for not playing him because he was a DD signee......It's very easy to critisize but find the facts first.

Warren has played in all 8 games this year..10 solo tackles, 9 asst tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 1 QB rush...He has evidently stepped up for the Troy game to be noticed....don't blame TD for not playing him because he was a DD signee......It's very easy to critisize but find the facts first.

Since that is paraphrasing from my post to start this thread, I would like to make it clear that all I meant was that his play stood out more against Troy than it had previously this season, not that I've kept track of every part of every game. In short, I was just complimenting Warren for his play against Troy; as far as any more subtle meaning in what I wrote, it just isn't there. I can promise that one substance I have never consumed is genius juice.

Not that I think another position should be added to his resume', but I think Warren would have made an outstanding fullback in this offense. He has size, and he has (at least he used to have) speed, and he has the ability to throw a fairly decent pass if needed. I remember his freshman year when he played quarterback in practices, Warren was certainly not a polished passing quarterback, but he was very dangerous when he started running.

And Mahon...Good job on the opening kickoff. The regular returners keep dropping 'em and the linebacker with the taped hands makes a solid catch and a decent return.

Not that I think another position should be added to his resume', but I think Warren would have made an outstanding fullback in this offense. He has size, and he has (at least he used to have) speed, and he has the ability to throw a fairly decent pass if needed. I remember his freshman year when he played quarterback in practices, Warren was certainly not a polished passing quarterback, but he was very dangerous when he started running.

And Mahon...Good job on the opening kickoff. The regular returners keep dropping 'em and the linebacker with the taped hands makes a solid catch and a decent return.

I've never heard of a fullback in the spread offense, unless you're talking about a running back with fullback size. I've read some theory that the spread evolved out of the old single wing, in which there was often a direct snap to the fullback, who was the key offensive player. By the way, did anyone notice that Troy had a play with a direct snap to the running back, and it went for good yardage. Miami has had some success using the single wing, or Gus Malzahn's "wildhog", but it may have been figured out by now. Hey, just trying to keep ideas alive for changeups to the true spread (at times).

I've never heard of a fullback in the spread offense, unless you're talking about a running back with fullback size. I've read some theory that the spread evolved out of the old single wing, in which there was often a direct snap to the fullback, who was the key offensive player. By the way, did anyone notice that Troy had a play with a direct snap to the running back, and it went for good yardage. Miami has had some success using the single wing, or Gus Malzahn's "wildhog", but it may have been figured out by now. Hey, just trying to keep ideas alive for changeups to the true spread (at times).

Yeah, what you said.