I Don't Have All The Answers...

BIG DAWG

We are playing with a...

True Sophomore QB (Vizza)

True Sophomore Center (JJ Johnson)

Redshirt Sophomore Offensive Tackle (Santiago)

Redshirt Sophomore Offensive Guard (Menard) (hurt)

Redshirt Freshman WR (Roberson)

Redshirt Sophomore DE (Sykes)

Redshirt Sophomore LB (Robertson)

True Sophomore LB (Penson)

True Freshman CB (Hill)

True Freshman Safety (Williams)

DL rotation (Freshman/Sophomore mix)

Try playing a high school varsity team with a high school JV team.

This doesn't answer all the concerns this team has, but may explain a lot of it.

Should give people to look forward to as well. If you believe in the hype these players came to Denton with, and Juniors and Seniors, we should pretty damn salty.

Something to think about...

We are playing with a...

True Sophomore QB (Vizza)

True Sophomore Center (JJ Johnson)

Redshirt Sophomore Offensive Tackle (Santiago)

Redshirt Sophomore Offensive Guard (Menard) (hurt)

Redshirt Freshman WR (Roberson)

Redshirt Sophomore DE (Sykes)

Redshirt Sophomore LB (Robertson)

True Sophomore LB (Penson)

True Freshman CB (Hill)

True Freshman Safety (Williams)

DL rotation (Freshman/Sophomore mix)

Try playing a high school varsity team with a high school JV team.

This doesn't answer all the concerns this team has, but may explain a lot of it.

Should give people to look forward to as well. If you believe in the hype these players came to Denton with, and Juniors and Seniors, we should pretty damn salty.

Something to think about...

I responded to this post in another thread, but I don't buy this excuse either. Sure they are young, but that doesn't explain getting killed every game. Take Petrino at Arkansas. He has played 16 TRUE freshman this year, with this being the first year in a spread offense that has a ton of kids recruited to a running offense and they are 3-4.

I responded to this post in another thread, but I don't buy this excuse either. Sure they are young, but that doesn't explain getting killed every game. Take Petrino at Arkansas. He has played 16 TRUE freshman this year, with this being the first year in a spread offense that has a ton of kids recruited to a running offense and they are 3-4.

And Arkansas almost lost to a AA team. UT made them look bad. They are in the SEC with a fairly well-known program. By those standards, their season is going pretty bad, too. I think that the same arguement could be made by their fans. I am not saying that this is a valid excuse, but Arkansas is not the best example.

You missed one - True Freshman - Coleman Feeley - has started as Right Offensive Guard for the last 2 games and played for most of the Fla Int game at RG too.

Thought our OL looked really good vs Monroe

- the ULM game announcers were even saying the line was impressive - especially for being so young - as is the whole team -

This team is going to give you all what you want - Victories! - but we will have to be patient -

And Arkansas almost lost to a AA team. UT made them look bad. They are in the SEC with a fairly well-known program. By those standards, their season is going pretty bad, too. I think that the same arguement could be made by their fans. I am not saying that this is a valid excuse, but Arkansas is not the best example.

I used them because they have had 16 True Freshman start and they have done fairly better than a lot thought they would with what they had. Learning a completely new offense, under a first year guy. They beat a ranked Auburn team on the road. Nearly knocked off a 5-2 Kentucky team at home last night - they are world beaters but they at least are competing. But if you don't want to use them, there are others. Bama has used 15 True freshmen this season and we all know how well they are doing. Ole Miss is playing 7 true freshmen and they are winning. Yet not only are we not winning, we are not even competive. I just don't agree with the argument that "we are so young" to why we are not being able to compete with anyone.

it has to do with a lack of leadership, they have no fire in their bellies, and the coach seems to coddle them and mismanages the games and tries to play it way to safe. for what 3 point when we are down 20+ in the first quarter? It seems like they are playing offense vs defense, instead of playing as a team.

People are not buying the "young" deal because of the success of some other "young" teams.

But while everyone was chewing Mendoza's ass, no on has yet to say one thing about DeLoach. Deloach seems to be getting a free pass. His defense puts our offense in the hole every game. They give up more big plays than any team in America? They don't bend they flat out bust and play poor technique. ULM QB runs a little option and neither safety had their head even turned towards the ball, nor did the corner. QB runs right by our secondary not even recognizing that the play was a run.

If your gonna knock the special teams, the offense, the you must knock Deloach if your in agreement with the "young" shouldn't matter at this stage.

Why does Deloach get the free pass because of 4 conference titles? That in itself should give him less of a free pass if he is so qualified based on the gripes on the board.

The offense looks up on just about every possession and see a huge play each and every series, that has to be demoralizing. Can you imagine the heat Dodge would be taking if he kept Mendoza?

Edited by UNT2012

You missed one - True Freshman - Coleman Feeley - has started as Right Offensive Guard for the last 2 games and played for most of the Fla Int game at RG too.

Thought our OL looked really good vs Monroe

- the ULM game announcers were even saying the line was impressive - especially for being so young - as is the whole team -

This team is going to give you all what you want - Victories! - but we will have to be patient -

Some of the protection provided to Vizza the other night was almost silly. The O-line did a great job.

People, it's the personel. And I am not putting anybody down because I certainly respect every athlete that has ever played for the Mean Green. For whatever reason, the All-Conference type football players stopped arriving at North Texas.

There were still the rare occasions when a recruit selected North Texas because of a desired program (one premeir recruit chose North Texas because of it's dyslexia program), but not many others.

The 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 signing classes had very few high school recruits that would develop to become all-conference calibre players, and even fewer that would attract interest from the NFL. By 2005 it was apparent that North Texas was becoming overmatched at nearly every position when compared to our competition, even having two nation leading running backs couldn't help the team win games.

Players left, an already thin depth chart was further depleted, and the APR score dropped.

Dickey was released and left the cupboard about as depleted as could exist at a division 1 program. The offense was so inept that it was often outperformed by the rag-tag Green Team made up of freshman and walk-on players.

Dodge will fix the situationbut it will take time. He now has many of the skill position players but still needs guys in the trenches.

Edited by ADLER

There is NO way you can compare BCS schools with mid majors, man for man, when you are comparing freshman and sophmore talent. BCS schools get many more 4 and 5 star players than do mid major schools. However, I do submit that the BCS preponderance, at this level, does exceed similar mid major talent.

except

after one of Coach Matt Simon's recruiting adventures he did say that UNT's new recruits were just as good as the University of Alabama.

Ya'll will have to remember that Coach Dodge has red shirted a lot of recruits.

I will again say that except for Coach Mitchell's last recruiting class of 1966 .... Joe Greene and all that bunch ..... Coach Dodge has, IMHO, out recruited all other NT coaches during their first two years, including Coach Fry.

I am reminded of a story of some young man who challenged an older wood chopper to a contest. The young guy was just blowin' and goin' but the old guy, every 15 minutes, would sit down for a couple of minutes.......after two hours the old guy won the contest. The young guy congratulated the old wood chopper and said.....BTW......what were you doing sitting down for a couple of minutes during the contest? The old guy said, "sharpening my axe."

Coach Dodge is sharpening his axe with the quality of recruits, red shirt players and now the new stadium.

Perhaps FIU would be better than Arkansas for comparison purposes, since they are in the same conference as UNT. Arkansas has a certain "niche" as an SEC school and as such, the only team in Arkansas in an "automatic bid" conference. Sort of the big fish in the little pond. Also, FIU is also in its 2nd year under a new coach. after having won only 1 game last year (against us, as we all know), they are 3-4 this year, and were only blown out in 2 of those losses (Kansas and Iowa). I think it's reasonable to say they're on the improve. I spent a little time today studying on this, after viewing a Gomeangreen1999 post in this thread, and I think there are a few things worth pointing out, from that game, and overall comparison of the two programs.

1. FIU did get some big plays out of some underclassmen, 2 touchdown receptions by freshman T.Y. Hilton, and one by Sophomore Greg Ellingson. However, their QB is a junior and their RB's are seniors, as is their tight end. Also, the special teams plays, the big defensive plays, and the great protection they were getting from their offensive line was from a few sophomores, but mostly juniors and seniors. I think this gives us reason for hope, since, due to graduation and injuries, we are playing so many underclassmen on defense, and experience should help.

2. FIU has a lot more, and more impressive, college level coaching experience. Also, they do have one person who does nothing but coach special teams. I'm not necessarily suggesting that a wholesale replacement of our assistant coaches is a good idea, or likely to happen. I am saying that we should have one person responsible for coaching special teams. I don't think we'd have to spend an arm and a leg to hire one; it seems like one of the FIU coaches (for the secondary) was hired out of a graduate assistant position. I think Central Arkansas (Southland Conference?) has a special teams coach who is doing well. Also, I think it is reasonable to expect that (and I think Dodge is now of this opinion) any assistant coaching vacancies that occur, for whatever reason, be filled by coaches who have had recent success coaching at the college level for that area of responsibility. I did find it interesting that the FIU defensive coordinator was in his second year there. Maybe another year will help Deloach, especially since he'll be part of the recruiting process.

FIU Coaches Bios

3. We were marching up and down the field, racking up impressive statistics, and probably dominated at least the offensive statistics against FIU, without any points to show for it the entire first half; such has mostly been the case all this year. FIU, and almost any college team, has power sets, using 2 backs, tight ends, and even a fullback at times. We need some kind of change up from the spread for short yardage situations, whether it's the I, some other formation with the QB under center, some variation of the old single wing, such as the Miami Dolphins and Tulsa use, or just the occasional use of tight end with the spread; Dodge said he would use such a look last year, and I believe he did a few times. Hopefully he'll remember that and do SOMETHING to keep the ball moving towards the end zone and actually get 7 points most of the time when we're in the red zone.

Anyway, the short version of this rant: have the players stay healthy and get better through experience; get more college level coaching experience somehow, especially on special teams; design some plays, even formations, for short yardage and red zone situations that get you first downs and touchdowns.

Edited by eulessismore

People, it's the personel. And I am not putting anybody down because I certainly respect every athlete that has ever played for the Mean Green. For whatever reason, the All-Conference type football players stopped arriving at North Texas after Dickey released his recruiting coordinator, Chuck Mills. (And no, I don't know why he was released.)

There were still the rare occasions when a recruit selected North Texas because of a desired program (one premeir recruit chose North Texas because of it's dyslexia program), but not many others.

The 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 signing classes had very few high school recruits that would develop to become all-conference calibre players, and even fewer that would attract interest from the NFL. By 2005 it was apparent that North Texas was becoming overmatched at nearly every position when compared to our competition, even having two nation leading running backs couldn't help the team win games.

Players left, an already thin depth chart was further depleted, and the APR score dropped.

Dickey was released and left the cupboard about as bare as could exist at a division 1 program. The offense was so inept that it was often outperformed by the rag-tag Greeen Team made up of freshman and walk-on players.

Dodge will fix the situationbut it will take time. He now has many of the skill position players but still needs guys in the trenches.

People, it's the personel. And I am not putting anybody down because I certainly respect every athlete that has ever played for the Mean Green. For whatever reason, the All-Conference type football players stopped arriving at North Texas after Dickey released his recruiting coordinator, Chuck Mills. (And no, I don't know why he was released.)

Dickey was released and left the cupboard about as bare as could exist at a division 1 program. The offense was so inept that it was often outperformed by the rag-tag Greeen Team made up of freshman and walk-on players.

Mills didn't recruit any of those playeres and the only thing that slowed down DD was a vindictive AD.

Was that the same Chuck Mills who head coached at Utah State, Wake Forest, and the Coast Guard Academy?

Never mind, it appears that there were two football coaches named "chuck Mills"; ours seems to have been at North Texas as a Linebackers Coach (perhaps was kept from the Matt Simon era as a recruiting coordinator, along with any other responsibilities), at the time the other Chuck Mills was coaching at the Coast Guard Academy. The other Chuck Mills has some great football quotes:

"When it comes to football, God is prejudiced - toward big, fast kids."

"My halftime speeches always went a great deal better when I had better players than the other guy.

"Football is for the insane or the stupid, and I am quite sane."

"Do what you did and you'll get what you got."

"Some pray for wisdom, my wisdom comes in praying for big, fast tackles."

"There are three important things in life: Family and football."

“Losing? Stop the pre-game prayer or you might make atheists out of the kids.”

“The test is not in the setback but in the comeback.”

“Spirit must dominate technique.”

“Potential – a word signifying what might be, not what is.”

it has to do with a lack of leadership, they have no fire in their bellies, and the coach seems to coddle them and mismanages the games and tries to play it way to safe. for what 3 point when we are down 20+ in the first quarter? It seems like they are playing offense vs defense, instead of playing as a team.

The passionate players on the team could not contribute from the sideline. The second half defense showed there were players with fire in their bellies. They just need to be played. The defense squad for that second half should be played more. We, probably, would not be 0/7 with that squad.

People are not buying the "young" deal because of the success of some other "young" teams.

But while everyone was chewing Mendoza's ass, no on has yet to say one thing about DeLoach. Deloach seems to be getting a free pass. His defense puts our offense in the hole every game. They give up more big plays than any team in America? They don't bend they flat out bust and play poor technique. ULM QB runs a little option and neither safety had their head even turned towards the ball, nor did the corner. QB runs right by our secondary not even recognizing that the play was a run.

If your gonna knock the special teams, the offense, the you must knock Deloach if your in agreement with the "young" shouldn't matter at this stage.

Why does Deloach get the free pass because of 4 conference titles? That in itself should give him less of a free pass if he is so qualified based on the gripes on the board.

The offense looks up on just about every possession and see a huge play each and every series, that has to be demoralizing. Can you imagine the heat Dodge would be taking if he kept Mendoza?

I agree with you to some extent. We have one of the best corners in the Sunbelt Conference on our squad, #31, and we hardly see him play. We are not playing our best personnels.

Looks like even some current players agree with this.

“Hopefully it will go through,” Stickler said of the final steps needed to build a new stadium. “That way we will get the recruits we need to start winning ball games at North Texas.”

That quote was taken from an article in the DRC posted this morning.

The passionate players on the team could not contribute from the sideline. The second half defense showed there were players with fire in their bellies. They just need to be played. The defense squad for that second half should be played more. We, probably, would not be 0/7 with that squad.

It was a generalization... I know there are quality players who want to win, and when I talk of leadership, it goes beyond the qb, who is one of the best competitors I have seen.. Something happened saturday night I saw first hand that leads me to believe, a certain coach may be losing this team. Lets just say it had to do with 4th downs inside the ten. I am not going to go into it any further, that's not my place. I am just a Alum, Fan and Donor and want things to get better. This team doesn't seem to be playing as team. It's the coaches job to make them a team.

Edited by filmerj