The Mean Green Machine

Boomer23

The car looks great. Is there some significance of the Model A as it relates to UNT that I'm unaware of?

From meangreensports.com:

Model A - "Green Machine"

Ford introduced the successor to the Model T in 1929. It was named after the first car made by Ford Motor Company back in 1903 -- the Model A. The Talon car is a green 1929 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan built in 1931. It was donated to UNT by an alumnus, Rex Cauble, in the early 1970's. The car is entrusted to the care of the Talons. The Model A, also known as the Green Machine, is driven by the Talons Cannon Crew at home football games, parades, and other special occasions to promote NT Spirit.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...mp;ATCLID=68723

I love how they directed everyone's attention to the car... but not the stadium video

Don't be jealous.

...Enough to run over people on, say, astroturf?

I never said I was finished with restoration. :D

the car looks great! did the bell get a make over too?

The tug is not yet finished. It is also undergoing a complete overhaul.

Currently the brakes are being completely redone and as soon as I get it back I will be sending it off for a new paint job. I am still working on the design. My design for the Model A alone took weeks. I went into much detail getting the right look. It is very very hard to get Kelly Green to look good on a car so I knew immediately I needed just enough green to catch your attention and not let go.

As far as storage I am looking at purchasing a 2 1/2 car garage to store the A, Tug and Boomer. I am in talks with multiple departments including Athletics and Business Services to get enough money. I have already spent a lot of money doing this and as I run out I need more help. Multiple Restorations are NOT cheap. I would like to already thank the Swartz Family, FirefightinRick and a handful over at Athletics for helping me get this done. Your work will not go unnoticed when the restorations are completed.

Look for a new video on our youtube page when I get enough time to edit it together.

The car looks great. Is there some significance of the Model A as it relates to UNT that I'm unaware of?

The Model A has been part of the football activities since it was donated. Many rebuilds have occurred but not to this extent. Now with the help on the internet I have been able to completely rebuild using original Ford Model A parts down to the wiring. It has not been a reliable vehicle since I got here in 2005 nor for several years prior. My whole goal is to make this tradition stand on its own. Each part of "Cannon Crew" will in the future stand both alone and together as unique traditions. Therefore "Cannon Crew" will evolve including an upcoming name change. Of course I will not let you know what that name is because its just too much fun to torment everyone on this board.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Go Mean Green!

Michael

Edited by Boomer23

The tug is not yet finished. It is also undergoing a complete overhaul.

Currently the brakes are being completely redone and as soon as I get it back I will be sending it off for a new paint job. I am still working on the design. My design for the Model A alone took weeks. I went into much detail getting the right look. It is very very hard to get Kelly Green to look good on a car so I knew immediately I needed just enough green to catch your attention and not let go.

As far as storage I am looking at purchasing a 2 1/2 car garage to store the A, Tug and Boomer. I am in talks with multiple departments including Athletics and Business Services to get enough money. I have already spent a lot of money doing this and as I run out I need more help. Multiple Restorations are NOT cheap. I would like to already thank the Swartz Family, FirefightinRick and a handful over at Athletics for helping me get this done. Your work will not go unnoticed when the restorations are completed.

Wow! I'm impressed! You have really put a lot of time and effort into this project and I am very pleased and happy to see the "toys" being taken care of again. As you mentioned, too many people have invested lots of time and money into these school "treasures" (including yourself) and it's nice to see them being appreciated :) I really hope the storage thing can happen this year. Its been an ongoing project and challenge for way too long. Best of luck!!

at one point there was covered storage but then talons decided to screw someone over so there went the covered storage

Actually we were just moved out of Facilities and never received an explanation. They were kind enough to let me have some space for this weekend but the old storage is now full of Facilities vehicles and equipment, so its only a one weekend deal.

Years ago, we used to store the Model A at Weaver Wisdom body shop. At one time, we also had a storage unit in town that could hold the car as well as other Talon "stuff."

I know that in from 1990-1997, when I was an active Talon, the car was dependable enough to drive in all parades, games and around town on game day. That car was a blast. We used to drive it up and down the sidelines during the games, horn blaring, with at least one person holding the battle flag. It was such a sight! We even ran over an opposing mascot every now and then. Good Times.

The car looks great! I hope that we can see it around town more often.