Orsini Says He'll Listen If Notre Dame Calls

UNTflyer

SMU athletic director Steve Orsini said Monday he would be willing to listen to Notre Dame officials about their vacant AD position if he is contacted about the job.

Orsini stressed that he and his family are happy in Dallas and excited about the future of SMU athletics but also added that the Notre Dame job is intriguing because it's at his alma mater.

Orsini was a three-year letterman at fullback and a co-captain on Notre Dame's 1977 football national championship team.

"I think I would owe it to myself and to my family," Orsini said after delivering a presentation at the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics convention at the Hilton Anatole. "Just like I ask the SMU supporters to stay connected with your school, I have stayed connected with my school, and if I can help my school, that's something that I may be interested in."

Notre Dame is looking for a replacement for Kevin White, who was hired by Duke on May 31.

Orsini's connections to Notre Dame don't end with his ties to the football program. His wife, Amy, is from South Bend, Ind., and her mother and sister still live there.

Before you go, Steve, please complete the 6 game deal with North Texas!

I think Steve has done a great job at SMU in his little time there. Afcourse he has the financial backing and support of boosters etc but for college athletics to succeed at this level you pretty much have to have that. I think he's pretty interested in getting a long term series with NT. I dont see how he would not want it especially if both offenses produce like 40 pts a game.

SMU athletic director Steve Orsini said Monday he would be willing to listen to Notre Dame officials about their vacant AD position if he is contacted about the job.

Sounds like he's trying to schedule his own interview with them. No matter that he may not be on their list. I remember UNT had a couple coaches do that for our HC opening. I guess it shows effort to get your named hyped in the media as interested; I just thought those calls should be expressed in private to the school and not in the press.