Another Fouts Question

I'm sure that all of you have seen how some stadiums started life. After decades of renovations some are still standing and are considered fine. So here is my question. Can UNT get further quicker with a great renovation rather then building a new stadium? I'm sure that this has been kicked around. I'm thinking dig up the track and playing surface. Add seating where the track is currently located (a lower deck if you will). The playing surface would be much lower but proper drainage would prevent it from being an issue. Seating would start much closer to the field.The cost would be considerably less. And I think that you can end up with a great stadium.

The biggest problem with that idea is the infrastructure within Fouts. Short of tearing up concrete, you can't get in and resolve any plumbing, electical and other similar issues. You can't add A/C where you might want it, what you can do with boxes is limited because of the design of the stadium, etc.

Fouts was built to be a small stadium. most stadiums that are old but still going were built as large venues or with upgrade paths pre-determined.

I would wager that it would cost more to make fouts what we want than to simply build a new home.

This is by no means an attack post, or thrown out to be negative, but simply stating that whether it is feasible or not, Fouts will not be remodeled. There has been too much work put into (whether or not some believe it to be so or not) into a new stadium. After releasing pictures and videos of what this new stadium is to be, anything less would be seen as an unacceptable failure.

There could be possibilities to your idea, but it just isn't going to pan out that way. I seriously doubt it was even a consideration.

I am sure you can go with an all our renovation and give Fouts a totally different look but I dont think that would be cheap either. I am sure It would atleast be around 20+ million dollars to do. I mean you need a total makeover and rather than spending that money on Fouts, I think the idea is might as well wait until we are able to build something brand new from the ground up and build it to where we can have spend several decades in it with it being properly built infrastructure wise.

I guess that I disagree with most. #1 I wonder how close they are to a new stadium and #2 I think that you can dig out the field and add 20K seats and concessions and restrooms for a fraction of the price of building a new stadium. The new seats will be much closer to the field. And because it will not cost nearly as much I think that it could happen a lot sooner. It is also a much smaller project so it will not take nearly as long. It could be really nice football stadium.

I guess that I disagree with most. #1 I wonder how close they are to a new stadium and #2 I think that you can dig out the field and add 20K seats and concessions and restrooms for a fraction of the price of building a new stadium. The new seats will be much closer to the field. And because it will not cost nearly as much I think that it could happen a lot sooner. It is also a much smaller project so it will not take nearly as long. It could be really nice football stadium.

how far down were you planning to dig?

It has been noted on here in the past that digging down is not an option due to the water table or something of that nature.

Apparently to far... As Lifer just pointd out the idea would be great for water polo. I did not think of the water table.

Can someone delete the thread we already have enough fouts talk and this answered my questioin...

Don't forget the Texas DOT which will take land on the loop between !-35 east and west for a frontage road up to the gate on Fouts Field.

Lipstick on a pig.

I really don't know what everyone's problem with Fouts is. Once they threw that beautiful coat of primer on last year….. it’s like a brand new stadium as far as I'm concerned. Much better than the old Fouts that used to have some semblance of a school color on it.

I agree with DAWG. Anything short of a new stadium is unacceptable on a number of levels.

My idea, once, was to remove one side or the other of Fouts and rebuild it close to the field during the off season. Pull the aluminum bleachers in close to the end zones and the following off season, demolish the other side stands and rebuild.

A new stadium, an excellent location, and no interruption of play.

But the new stadium idea is better. And hooking up with a hotel makes the new stadium idea unique.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN