Who Will Be The Most Improved ?

MeanGreen61

Duplicating from the WAC board.

Who will be the Sun Belt's most improved team in 2008 ?

Florida Atlantic 6-1 conf. 8-5 overall

Troy 6-1 conf. 8-4 overall

ULM 4-3 conf. 6-6 overall

Muts 4-3 conf 5-7 overall

Arkansas State 3-4 conf. 5-7 overall

ULL 3-4 conf 3-9 overall

North Texas 1-6 conf 2-10 overall

Florida International 1-6 conf 1-11 overall

Also How do you rank the Belt teams for 2008 (best to worst)

Edited by MeanGreen61

I try to stay as realistic as possible and don't get too out-of-hand when thinking about NT, but I don't see how they CAN'T be the most improved. Granted I don't follow other Sunbelt schools like NT, but we have some great talent coming in and a year under TD's belt. I guess I expect NT to be the most improved. Not win the Belt granted, but at least be in the running.

I try to stay as realistic as possible and don't get too out-of-hand when thinking about NT, but I don't see how they CAN'T be the most improved. Granted I don't follow other Sunbelt schools like NT, but we have some great talent coming in and a year under TD's belt. I guess I expect NT to be the most improved. Not win the Belt granted, but at least be in the running.

Six wins with at least four of those in the SBC must be a minimum goal to show real progress.

What he said. I'm a little nervous about our defense, but overall it simply has to improve from last year. I think our offense should improve slightly with a year of Dodgeball under our belts with experience returning. Even slight improvement gets us several wins that slipped away from us (e.g., SMU, FAU, Navy, ASU).

As far as best to worst, I would guess:

1. Troy

2. FAU

3. NT B)

4. MTSU

5. La-Mo

6. La-La

7. FIU

8. ASU

What he said. I'm a little nervous about our defense, but overall it simply has to improve from last year. I think our offense should improve slightly with a year of Dodgeball under our belts with experience returning. Even slight improvement gets us several wins that slipped away from us (e.g., SMU, FAU, Navy, ASU).

As far as best to worst, I would guess:

1. Troy

2. FAU

3. NT B)

4. MTSU

5. La-Mo

6. La-La

7. FIU

8. ASU

I am picking UNT as the most improved team in the Sunbelt. I also agree those four games could of gone our way and will this year.

I think by pure statistical data, UNT has to have the best shot. We have the most room for improvement. Troy has almost touched the ceiling, and I don't really see any of the other schools making big jumps. FIU doesn't seem to be moving in the right direction or ULL for that matter. Not to be biased here but it has to be UNT.

Our DEFENSE !!!

If our defense somehow gets worse , I'm tearing up my degree and enrolling at a near by college

Dont think you'll have to worry about that. First, our defense cant get any worse?, but most importantly Gary DeLoach is the real thing. The practice I was at had DB's and LB's being very aggressive. If we dont see any other changes, at least we see the return of the blitz. Most of us remember Chris Hurd, Taylor Casey and Cody Spencer flying through the line at the QB's... THAT ALONE may be enough to improve this defense from last year.

I think things will be much better this season. My only real question is at DT, where we are shakier than Vince Young's down-field reads? I know Isaac Thomas and Jo Miller are there, but too many questions and not enough bodies? I guess we'll see soon enough?

GMG!!!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Dont think you'll have to worry about that. First, our defense cant get any worse?, but most importantly Gary DeLoach is the real thing. The practice I was at had DB's and LB's being very aggressive. If we dont see any other changes, at least we see the return of the blitz. Most of us remember Chris Hurd, Taylor Casey and Cody Spencer flying through the line at the QB's... THAT ALONE may be enough to improve this defense from last year.

I think things will be much better this season. My only real question is at DT, where we are shakier than Vince Young's down-field reads? I know Isaac Thomas and Jo Miller are there, but too many questions and not enough bodies? I guess we'll see soon enough?

GMG!!!

I've wondered why DeSoto and Scoggins weren't mentioned in any reporting thus far. I believe that both could be solid contributors. I also believe that Charlie Brown will be in the mix and it gives a strong argument for keeping Troy Franklin on the defensive side of the ball.

I've wondered why DeSoto and Scoggins weren't mentioned in any reporting thus far. I believe that both could be solid contributors. I also believe that Charlie Brown will be in the mix and it gives a strong argument for keeping Troy Franklin on the defensive side of the ball.

I truly hope that DeLoach makes a strong case for Troy remaining on the DL. We are really thin there unless we get some big surprises out of our practices between now and September.

Six wins with at least four of those in the SBC must be a minimum goal to show real progress.

I think that UNT has to be the most improved, we are in the right spot after two wins last year to take that title. Now as far as 6 being thebase line to show real improvement.... I don't think thats fair, if we win 4 then I think that is a sign of real improvement. Three isn't enough that could be a coin toss, but 4 is double what won last year, and I think that will show real progress

Any semblance of defense alone would have put us at 5-7. I look for us to easily be the most-improved.

And let me add that if we don't find a decent kicking and punting game, we're never going to get over the .500 hump. Not getting 3 on the board and having short punts killed us in the field position game.

Edited by Eagle1855

NT hands down. We may not be the best team in the 'Belt this year, but we're going to put some people on notice for 2009.

I expect .500 performance for the same reason mentioned here more than once... a defense with a pulse would have tipped 4 games in our direction that we lost last year. I have to assume that the Offense is better with an extra year under everyone's belt, so that should make a strong case for a VERY different season this year.

IF Troy Franklin lines up on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball , you guys think he's good enough to start as a true FRESHMAN ?? With our lack of depth and size on the D-Line , no way he redshirts. He has the size and the ablility ( IMO) to make a serious impact this year.

Guest GrayEagleOne

IF Troy Franklin lines up on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball , you guys think he's good enough to start as a true FRESHMAN ?? With our lack of depth and size on the D-Line , no way he redshirts. He has the size and the ablility ( IMO) to make a serious impact this year.

No, but he doesn't have to start. Joe Miller didn't start last year and look at the contribution that he made. Given Isaac Thomas' injury history, he could wind up the starter before the year is out. Even if he doesn't he'll gain valuable experience for a probable in 2009. After all, he was an all-state player as a DEFENSIVE tackle.

Edited by GrayEagleOne